PDA

View Full Version : Proximity Restriction

Gisajob
4th Dec 2006, 18:33
Can any one help a mate of mine. He has asked for my help but pprune could provide a better answer.
He has just had a CAA SRG proximity restriction placed on his ATCO licence. We all know what it means but what are the practical implications of management's restrictions, colleagues thoughts, practical hassles.
Has anyone ever applied and got a job with that restriction on their licence. Any help would be appreciated. Its not my licence, honest, it is genuinely a mate !!
Gisajob

Loki
4th Dec 2006, 19:04
I had one for a while, it made no difference in practical terms, working at a large unit.

I did have problems getting rid of it.....the person I was in contact with at SRG could not understand why I wanted it removed.

av8boy
5th Dec 2006, 22:02
We all know what it means

Well, some of us on this side of the pond don't know. Is it like a restraining order? You know, like the court order I have that says Jerricho can't come within 100 feet of me unless he's buying drinks? :confused:

Dave

man friday
6th Dec 2006, 17:53
gisajob,

if your 'mate' worked at a unit with a number of other atcos working with him/her it shouldn't be a problem, if he/she's expected to work alone then forget it.

ultimately being in the atco employment game yourself, you more than anyone else should know if your 'mate' is employable

Jerricho
6th Dec 2006, 21:55
Shucks Dave, you say the nicest things. :p

I found this legal mumbo-jumbo about proximity endorsements

Air traffic controllers are required by the Civil Aviation Authority (the Regulator) to be certificated fit to carry out their duties. According to the standards operated publicly by the CAA, a person who has had a particular difficulty may have a restriction imposed upon him or her. This is called a proximity restriction. It applies:

“[w]here the medical certificate requires another suitably qualified controller to be in the close proximity and able to take over in an orderly fashion in the unlikely event that the individual should feel faint or unwell.”

““Close proximity” should mean “certainly in the same room, if not actually by the side of the individual concerned.” This means that another controller holding the appropriate ratings/certificate of competence, must be available in the same room for immediate take over and would rule out someone being down stairs in the tower if the aerodrome controller had a proximity endorsement, or, any monitoring by CCTV or similar means.”

av8boy
7th Dec 2006, 06:20
Thanks buddy. I'll buy the next round.:)

Pierre Argh
9th Dec 2006, 17:02
Getting a "Proximity Restriction" whilst in a job, is probably quite different from applying for a fresh job with a condition that would warrant one. Although there's nothing to stop them applying, I'd suggest it is unlikely your friend is would be a strong candidate at selection with such a limitation and suggest they think carefully if they need to invest money in training/licences beforehand.

radarman
9th Dec 2006, 18:41
A guy at our unit has a proximity restriction. Having to roster someone to act as his 'standby' effectively means we are down by one controller. No big deal at a large unit, but quite a pooper at a small place.
Don't know where Jerricho got his legal mumbo-jumbo, but we found NATS' interpretation of 'close proximity' rather more liberal. Because our ATC complex is small, our guy is covered if his mentor is in the building . Guess it all depends on the physical size of ATC and the speed with which the covering controller can reach the position. May also depend on the nature of the medical condition, and also on the attitude of unit management.
By the way, I wasn't aware that Gisajob had any mates. :p

Roffa
10th Dec 2006, 15:09
Others may know better but aiui, following a chat with a doctor at SRG some time ago, under the forthcoming European harmonised ATC medical proximity restrictions cease to exist.

Grandfather rights I believe for those that already have them but anyone new subsequently being diagnosed with something that could have resulted in a proximity endorsement in the past will simply no longer have a medical with all the implications that brings with it.

From the time a State implements the Requirements for European Class 3 Medical Certification of Air Traffic Controllers, they shall apply to all holders of, and applicants for, student ATCO and ATCO licences or certificates of competence. However, it is recognised that there may be individual controllers who have a particular medical condition which was deemed acceptable under the previous State medical requirements, but is not acceptable under the new scheme. In these circumstances, provided the State’s Designated Authority is satisfied that the controller is able to safely exercise the privileges of his licence or certificate of competence, the previous State medical requirements may continue to apply in respect of the specific medical condition only and his medical certificate must be annotated accordingly. In all other respects and for any new medical condition the controller may develop after the implementation date, the new medical requirements will apply.

In the interests of harmonisation, a continuous effort is needed among the ECAC Member States to minimise the number of differences from the basic requirements.

From Requirements for European Class 3 Medical Certification of Air Traffic Controllers (http://www.eurocontrol.int/safety/gallery/content/public/library/L4.pdf) which details the proposed medical standards.

Roffa
10th Dec 2006, 20:13
There is a lung function test in the medical but further than that I know not.

Can I suggest you give the medics at Gatwick a call and speak to them, they are very helpful.

Medical Department
CAA Safety Regulation Group
Aviation House
Gatwick Airport South
West Sussex RH6 0YR

For enquiries and appointments:
Telephone Call Centre +44 (0)1293 573700

Gisajob
12th Dec 2006, 21:43
OOOh radarman, you bitch. I have mates who know you !!

Seriously though, the reason for the query was a mate was asking me to find him a job and I was concerned that his restriction would prove to be an impossible task at the smaller units in which my company works.

We are well aware of what the proximity restiction means, what we did not know was what the actual practical implications were and some answers we received were very errudite and helpful.
Thanks guys.

13th Dec 2006, 11:39
Gisajob

Having a proximity on your licence does not completely prevent your friend from applying for a new job. There are opportunities out there for him/her to work at one of the ATC Colleges where there is no requirement to hold a medical. He may even want to do this on a temorary basis (work as a consultant) until he is in a position to have the proximity removed. Hope this is of help. If he/she is intrested in such a position, send me a PM.

Good Luck 118.2

Fly Through
14th Dec 2006, 01:13
In this day and age controllers with experience are becoming a rare commodity, I would imagine that the smaller units would be very interested. I've known a couple of guys who got them and the CAA where very practical with there responses. Specific examples available by PM!!!!
Good Luck
FT :ok: