PDA

View Full Version : Flying to the Isle of Man

mazzy1026
4th Dec 2006, 09:56
Morning all - my first started topic for a very long time :cool:

Next summer it is possible that I will be flying myself and 3 friends to the Isle of Mann from Liverpool (my local), and was wondering if there is anyone that has flown there (or is based there) that could offer some advice/tips?

Here are a few things I need to bear in mind:

1) I will need to get check out in the club PA28 by then - no problem.
2) Flight planning - a VFR flight, no GPS, using VOR as primary nav (prob have a GPS as backup).
3) Local procedures - entry/exit.
4) Weight and Balance - this will be fully checked.

They are the technical things - other things to think about may be:

1) Are they welcoming to GA?
2) Ground handling?

Just a few thoughts initially - this is a long way off but want to make sure I have everything covered. All the plates/charts etc will be printed from the AIS website and studied etc.

I suppose you could say my flight planning has now started :}

Thanks all
Maz :ok:

London Mil
4th Dec 2006, 10:23
Survival Aids (Lifejackets etc)
HM Revenue & Customs GAR Form
Special Branch (see above)
Aircraft paperwork (CofA, insurance etc) - Remember, in legal parlance, you are leaving Europe.

S-Works
4th Dec 2006, 11:00
Morning all - my first started topic for a very long time :cool:

Next summer it is possible that I will be flying myself and 3 friends to the Isle of Mann from Liverpool (my local), and was wondering if there is anyone that has flown there (or is based there) that could offer some advice/tips?

Here are a few things I need to bear in mind:

1) I will need to get check out in the club PA28 by then - no problem.
2) Flight planning - a VFR flight, no GPS, using VOR as primary nav (prob have a GPS as backup).
3) Local procedures - entry/exit.
4) Weight and Balance - this will be fully checked.

They are the technical things - other things to think about may be:

1) Are they welcoming to GA?
2) Ground handling?

Just a few thoughts initially - this is a long way off but want to make sure I have everything covered. All the plates/charts etc will be printed from the AIS website and studied etc.

I suppose you could say my flight planning has now started :}

Thanks all
Maz :ok:

Handling is done by the aeroclub so on landing you are sent to the other side of the airfield from the CAT traffic. £20 when I went in a couple of weeks ago. Very handy for the flying club bar next door cheap staeak and chips!

As far as the flight is concerned it is dead easy. I tend to fly direct, take a life jacket and go for it!

gcolyer
4th Dec 2006, 14:52
I would go to Andreas on the North of the island instead. Landing fees ar £5 single £10 twin.

No handling fees, No parking fees. If you want fuel I can get it arranged.

If you are thinking of going during TT you will have to book a slot with ATC if you go to Ronaldsway..and yes because it is TT the prices get hiked.

If you go during TT and got Andreas there will most leikely be BBQ's and a load of campers camping at the airfield.
Also keep your eye out for me during TT I will be pretty busy with a cherokee 6, PA28 and AA-5B for the fortnight

Callsign Kilo
4th Dec 2006, 15:26
I flew from Cumbernauld during the summer and had a really enjoyable flight. I opted to fly down the western side of the island, towards the IOM VOR, before making the turn onto the base leg for Runway 03 over Port Erin. I must admitt, despite being busy with some commercial traffic, ATC were very accomadating.

The GA parking / handling is done by 'Manx Flyers' (between the 03 & 26 thresholds) who I think have been bought by Ravenair - so that might be of some help when booking in, seeing you are based out of Liverpool? Just remember to fax your GAR form the day before your flight. I also filed a flight plan before leaving CBN, but you don't have to if you don't want to. I would also second the recommendation of the flying club for something to eat; it does a fantastic roast on a Sunday!

The only down side to the trip was that the landing fee, parking and handling came to £45!

neutron
4th Dec 2006, 19:53
Just to clarify the position:
There is NO requirement to inform customs when visiting the IOM (Ronaldsway) and 12 hours prior notice (NB notice not permission) is only required to Special Branch if flying from a non-designated airfield. Liverpool is a designated airfield so SB need only be informed prior to commencement of the flight.

gcolyer
5th Dec 2006, 08:25
Just to clarify the position:
There is NO requirement to inform customs when visiting the IOM (Ronaldsway) and 12 hours prior notice (NB notice not permission) is only required to Special Branch if flying from a non-designated airfield. Liverpool is a designated airfield so SB need only be informed prior to commencement of the flight.

I would not count your chickens on that. The Isle of man SB still want a fax from all GA flights. I would at least fax them to cover your backside, after all a fax is not going to cause massive delays is it.

mazzy1026
5th Dec 2006, 08:59
Thanks for all the information guys :ok:

I suppose now the only decision is which airfield to fly to and how busy the day is going to be in terms of air traffic etc....

I have plenty of time to plan and this thread has given me a good start.

Thanks again

Maz ;)

gcolyer
5th Dec 2006, 09:02
Thanks for all the information guys :ok:

I suppose now the only decision is which airfield to fly to and how busy the day is going to be in terms of air traffic etc....

I have plenty of time to plan and this thread has given me a good start.

Thanks again

Maz ;)

Just remember if it is during the TT fortnight and you plan for Ronaldsway you will need to book a traffic slot with ronaldsway ATC

dublinpilot
5th Dec 2006, 10:34
If you decide to go to Ronaldsway, I understand from others here, that the club has a 'crew car' which you can use for something nominal like £10.

I wish I'd known that at the time! It might have made the £45 landing/handling fee seem a little more like good value! Especially considering that we had to handle ourselves!

Worth checking out in advance if you are considering using Ronaldsway. Douglas is a good distance from the airport, so would be expensive in a taxi I imagine. (We were lucky enough to be offered a life by a local girl, so I don't know that taxi fare.)

dp

gcolyer
5th Dec 2006, 10:57
Worth checking out in advance if you are considering using Ronaldsway. Douglas is a good distance from the airport, so would be expensive in a taxi I imagine. (We were lucky enough to be offered a life by a local girl, so I don't know that taxi fare.)

dp

Should cost £20 standard fare for Douglas to airport and vice versa.

llanfairpg
5th Dec 2006, 16:05
As far as the flight is concerned it is dead easy. I tend to fly direct, take a life jacket and go for it!

Wearing your life jacket would be more sensible! No flights are dead easy, only to the overconfident and under experienced. Being dead in an aircraft can be very easy regardless of ability!

mazzy1026
5th Dec 2006, 19:15
Especially considering that we had to handle ourselves!
For 45 quid I would want someone to handle me :E Thanks DP :ok:

Jodelman
5th Dec 2006, 20:32
Douglas is a good distance from the airport, so would be expensive in a taxi I imagine. (We were lucky enough to be offered a life by a local girl, so I don't know that taxi fare.)
dp
Catch the bus instead from outside the terminal buiding - fare is as cheap as chips into Douglas. The aero club should give you a lift to the terminal for the handling fee.

dublinpilot
5th Dec 2006, 21:17
The aero club should give you a lift to the terminal for the handling fee.

You would think that wouldn't you!

I struggled to get a phone number from the lady in the bar for a taxi(there was one instructor at the aeroclub who was too busy to talk to me, as he was late for a lesson). The phone number was out of date. It was then that a lovely girl overheard, and offered a lift into Douglas (which I was very glad to get!).

Manx Flyers did absolutely nothing for their fee (other than allow me to fill up a form with my credit card number leaving a blank space for the amount as no one knew how much it would be.)

But lets not get me started on that ;)

It's £45 if you want to use Ronaldsway. Pay it and expect nothing but to be allowed to land there. Hopefully you'll get the use of their car, which would make it good value.

dp

flybymike
6th Dec 2006, 00:04
I would not count your chickens on that. The Isle of man SB still want a fax from all GA flights. I would at least fax them to cover your backside, after all a fax is not going to cause massive delays is it.

So are you saying that a fax should be sent to both the departure airfield AND the arrival airfield?

Jodelman
6th Dec 2006, 07:19
So are you saying that a fax should be sent to both the departure airfield AND the arrival airfield?
The Terrorism Act 2000 requires only that you inform the Police about your departure.
"(b) he gives at least 12 hours' notice in writing to a constable for the police area in which the port is situated (or, where the port is in Northern Ireland, to a member of the Royal Ulster Constabulary).

PENNINE BOY
6th Dec 2006, 07:56
Since Manx Flyers was sold to a prominent Liverpool Training Organisation the fees have shot up!
I also have been stung by there handling fee!!! for what?
No one around to take your dosh or organise forms etc.....

Andreas for me!!!!!!!! :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Should change the name to Dick Turpin Flyers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRL
6th Dec 2006, 11:29
Hi Maz, have a look at this site, looks like the place to go to ;)

Andreas Info. (http://www.manxgliding.org/visitingandreas.php)

It also gives you a link to the customs people.....

raejones
6th Dec 2006, 12:35
Hi Maz,

LFS require you to have an IMC rating for a flight of that length over water. :(

I only know this because I wanted to do the same trip. So, assuming you havn't got one, you have two choices ;

i:) Get one!
ii:) Take someone with you who has one!

I'm planning on a trip there at some point so if you fancy splitting the cost and doing a sector each in the Cherokee (accompanied by PR) drop me a PM.

jabberwok
6th Dec 2006, 12:54
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebPix/Andreas.gif
This is old so phone numbers may be out of date.
Full size printable picture here - Andreas Airfield (http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebPix/Andreas_L.gif)

mazzy1026
6th Dec 2006, 13:17
IMC rating? Oh ffs.....

I'll get one from Ravenair instead...

That has to be an insurance thing surely? I understand that an IMC rating would not be a bad thing, but the whole point of a JAR PPL as oppose to NPPL was to be able to leave the country! :ugh:

raejones
6th Dec 2006, 13:41
Yeah, I'm pretty sure its an insurance thing, likewise with the club rule that bans landing at unlicensed airfields, which would prevent landing at Andreas.

MyData
6th Dec 2006, 15:30
C'mon Mazzy, be more positive!

What better excuse to get your IMC training in! You could to the IoM trip as your treat to yourself when rated.

WorkingHard
6th Dec 2006, 15:39
As a frequent visitor to IOM I would urge you to get a TAF as close to departure time as possible. I have been forced back from halfway across to wait out a break in the weather to get into Ronaldsway. It can reduce to below minimums with alarming speed.

gcolyer
6th Dec 2006, 15:56
As a frequent visitor to IOM I would urge you to get a TAF as close to departure time as possible. I have been forced back from halfway across to wait out a break in the weather to get into Ronaldsway. It can reduce to below minimums with alarming speed.

Thats why you should use Andreas. It hardly ever gets weathered in.

I have gone to depart from Ronaldsway in the 337 and the weather has been really bad, so i cancel the flight get in the car and drive to Andreas and take the PA32 instead. Andreas is normal never has a cloud base below 800 feet, and that is plenty enough height for me to get in and out off the airfield.

nigelisom
6th Dec 2006, 17:06
Loads of info I found useful

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224410

Nigel

mazzy1026
7th Dec 2006, 08:51
What better excuse to get your IMC training in! You could to the IoM trip as your treat to yourself when rated.
Totally agree - I would love to and would if I could afford it in the time :{

Looks like this trip may be more difficult than originally thought. Not only can I not fly there, but I can't even land at Andreas - the downfalls of renting. Can't think of a better excuse to stick to local bimbling. Anyone fancy lending me their single engine piston for a day ? :p

Sorry folks - Rant is off now.....