PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Presents!

Airbus38
3rd Dec 2006, 23:44
Hi all, now it's December I thought I'd bring Christmas cheer to everybody!

Think this is the right forum....I'd like to know whether anybody has any recommendations for inexpensive flying-related kit (OK, I know thats an oxymoron!) to add to my list for Santa this year.

Anybody use specific items that they swear by for their private flying? I'm happy with my usual items, maps, flight guides, nav rulers and protractors etc etc. but what I'd really like to know is if there's anything I can add to my flightbag that's a little more unexpected but comes in handy?

Thoroughly hope this throws up some nuggets that I can use for the rest of my life!
A38

Talkdownman
4th Dec 2006, 06:30
A battery-operated mobile phone charger (for when it goes flat just as you are trying to fix PPR or get a METAR).
ID (for when Security jobsworths shout "Oi, you")
A tabard (to reduce the chances of Security jobsworths shouting "Oi, you").
A Mars bar (nourishment whilst detained by Security jobsworths whilst they flex their muscles making telephone enquiries about you).

tacpot
4th Dec 2006, 12:07
I've been keeping a Leatherman-type tool in my flying bag for a while in the expectation it may come in very handy at some point. But the only use I've found for it so far is repeatedly refastening spats on PA28s!

It's an easy way to carry pliers, a variety of screwdrivers, and cutting and stripping blades of various sorts.

Merry Christmas!

tp

Whirlygig
4th Dec 2006, 12:23
Just be careful that said "security jobsworth" doesn't confiscate said Leatherman tool on the grounds that you might attack the pilot with it :}

And I'm not joking!

Cheers

Whirls

Kentish Lad
4th Dec 2006, 15:10
I have asked my wife to order me a couple of T-Shirts from here: www.bighillys.com - talk about seriously cool!

I think that you can still get 10% off if you order via this link: www.bighillys.com/flyer

John

IO540
4th Dec 2006, 15:46
Get the best GPS there is.

Probably a Garmin 496 is the one, but a 296 would do :)

The Avmap EKP IV would be better but for its useless battery life.

DickyPearse
5th Dec 2006, 03:01
Get the best GPS there is.

Probably a Garmin 496 is the one, but a 296 would do :)

The Avmap EKP IV would be better but for its useless battery life.

Agree - unless you know you will always have access to a cig lighter, it has to be Garmin. The weather capability on the 496 is very handy, but the price doesn't qwuite fit the inexpensive requirement of Airbus38

Big Hilly
5th Dec 2006, 17:29
I think that you can still get 10% off if you order via this link: www.bighillys.com/flyer
John
Thanks for the kind words John. I have asked the 'interweb guys' to extend the offer for a few more days as the response has been so good.

I shan't say more as I don't want to get into trouble with L for advertising!! :) ;)

Best wishes,

BH

CarltonBrowne the FO
6th Dec 2006, 23:10
If you'd like to give me a nice new Lycoming IO360 that would get me well on the way to my RV8 project... :cool: