PDA

View Full Version : ATC jobs help/advice needed

veller
1st Dec 2006, 12:28
I know this is a common, boring topic so if you're not interested please dont "tell me off" just give me a chance.

I'm a civil engineer grad. with PPL currently working as airport security (the lowest of the low). A career in ATC is my dream, I'd turn down pilot jobs and high paid Civil Eng. jobs for it. Having spent some time contacting airports, sending CV's and being shot down (either becuase they only want experienced ATCO's or assistants (for which there aren't vacancies - oh, and they don't store CV's)) i've decided to turn to you guys.

I'm willing to sponsor myself to become ATCO with the hope of joining a ATSU on completion of training. I'm also willing to become an assistant with a similar goal.

Please, is there anyone out there who can give me advice or contacts. I will work anywhere within the UK.

Thankyou.

PS. NATS have already deemed me not worthy.

RAC/OPS
2nd Dec 2006, 10:23
I don't work for NATS so I don't know their selection criteria, however there are a good many excellent controllers who have by-passed NATS and work for non state providers.

If you are willing to self sponsor, it is around 20k for the basic aerodrome ticket but not much likelihood of a job, and probably another 18 - 20k or so for radar, which will make you a very valuable commodity. NATS or paying yourself, the licence is issued by the CAA so there is no difference at the end except you have forked out a lot of your own money.

It is unlikely at the moment that you would be taken on and sponsored by a unit, and the ATCA route might be the one to follow. However at units which would sponsor their ATCA's there will be a waiting list.

Feel free to pm me if you want further details, and good luck. It is a long slog but more than worth it at the end!

Steakpie
2nd Dec 2006, 10:27
You can always try again through Nats or look at Eurocontrol.