PDA

View Full Version : Searching the new AAIB website

shortstripper
30th Nov 2006, 10:40
Any tips on how to search the AAIB site?

I'm looking for glider accidents that occurred in August 1989, but even putting non specific "1989" in the search engine comes up with nothing. You used to be able to trawl through all the reports but I'm damned if I can figure it out now :confused:

SS

rustle
30th Nov 2006, 11:27
I'm looking for glider accidents that occurred in August 1989, but even putting non specific "1989" in the search engine comes up with nothing.

SS

Don't think stuff that old is electronic yet, nor if there are any plans to digitise the old stuff (handy as that would be for everyone)

shortstripper
30th Nov 2006, 13:10
It is ... or rather was. I've accessed it in the past. It was in detailed pdf format back five or six years and summarised reports for quite a few years years before that. I know they are there (unless they've been removed). What I can't do is find them?

SS

Kiltie
30th Nov 2006, 14:37
I am sure the only electronic AAIB bulletins available on their website date from 1996 onwards.

shortstripper
30th Nov 2006, 14:50
I am sure the only electronic AAIB bulletins available on their website date from 1996 onwards.

Maybe? But even ones I know where there, I can't seem to find within their site. For example, if you type in G-BBCY it returns nothing, yet a google search finds an AAIB report showing G-BBCY involved (indirectly) in a fatal accident. There just doesn't seem to be as many reports available as there were? ... maybe it's just the way I'm searching? Oh well, not to worry :{

SS

BlueRobin
30th Nov 2006, 15:15
Every time they have another website design, they break the search engine and past reports go missing. In this case their search engine is rubbish. Write them a e-mail reminding them that governmental websites should be clear and accessible (it's a policy). If they do nothing write to your MP or Lembit!

rustle
30th Nov 2006, 15:51
Every time they have another website design, they break the search engine and past reports go missing. In this case their search engine is rubbish. Write them a e-mail reminding them that governmental websites should be clear and accessible (it's a policy). If they do nothing write to your MP or Lembit!

Hm.

Or just drop them a friendly note without the "it's a policy"/"I'm going to whine to politicians" and they'll prob90 fix it even quicker...

You need to chill out BR := ;)

SlipSlider
30th Nov 2006, 16:44
Hi SS. If you have a specific report in mind just get in touch with the AAIB direct, I think you will find them very willing to help - they certainly indicated that would be the case during a recent visit.
Slip

BlueRobin
30th Nov 2006, 18:55
Similar but slightly more firendly note worked last time rustle, just don't have the strength at the moment. :bored:

Hansard
30th Nov 2006, 20:17
Last time I was looking for a glider accident report, the BGA were very helpful and seemed to have a database.

Piltdown Man
30th Nov 2006, 21:25
Which prang were you looking for? I was in a really good one in 1989 and that was one of the few where the AAIB did the investigation and prepared a report.

shortstripper
1st Dec 2006, 02:52
Which prang were you looking for? I was in a really good one in 1989 and that was one of the few where the AAIB did the investigation and prepared a report.

I've just bought an old K8 glider to do up and going through the logbook I discovered it had survived a mid-air collision which severed the port wing from mid aileron out :eek: I was just curious for more details. I think the glider would have been based at Lasham at the time.

SS

HAL-26
1st Dec 2006, 17:48
Maybe? But even ones I know where there, I can't seem to find within their site. For example, if you type in G-BBCY it returns nothing, yet a google search finds an AAIB report showing G-BBCY involved (indirectly) in a fatal accident. There just doesn't seem to be as many reports available as there were? ... maybe it's just the way I'm searching? Oh well, not to worry :{

SS

What have you got against poor old 'CY. She's a lovely aeroplane!! ;)

www.lutonminor.com (http://www.lutonminor.com)

shortstripper
1st Dec 2006, 18:26
I know, I used to own a share in her :O I also knew the pilot who died :( Ironically he also owned a share in CY.

I referred to that report simply because I knew it was there. When I searched the AAIB ste for it I couldn't find it, yet google can. Their search engine seems to be rubbish!

SS