PDA

View Full Version : Ending of Conditional Clearances?

Scottie Dog
29th Nov 2006, 20:29
Please excuse what may be a silly question from an 'outsider'.

Why has the ability of a controller to issue a conditional crossing/runway entry been withdrawn at a number of UK airports.

Having just experienced what appeared to be a busy evening at Manchester - circa 1815hrs - with all stacks being used and both approach positions manned, I was surprised to see the seemingly long gaps between traffic on finals for 24R. It look as if at least 6 miles was being used, and this appears to have exasperated the holding situation. :ugh:

Is the withdrawal permanent?

radar707
29th Nov 2006, 21:56
Don't know if it has been adoptd at certain airports, but i recall a trial at several units to not use conditional clearances in an attempt to reduce the number of runway incursions. At the time we controllers said it would slow things down, especially at the busier units, however the powers thet be deemed that we would do it anyway.

If this is the case and it has been adopted at EGCC the prepare for more holding and more go arounds.

chevvron
30th Nov 2006, 08:13
The usual knee jerk by someone sitting in an office with no recent operational experience trying to cover their own backs at the expense of efficient service provision.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Dec 2006, 08:22
I read such things with disbelief! How come we all managed 30-40 years ago?? Why have runway incursions become "the thing" nowadays... like level busts?

Scottie Dog
1st Dec 2006, 11:20
Thanks to those who have answered my question.

Slaphead
1st Dec 2006, 19:50
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2006/11/17/Navigation/177/210607/Animation+NTSB+shows+just+how+close+Boeing+737+and+Boeing+74 7+really+were+at.html

GuruCube
7th Dec 2006, 23:17
I read such things with disbelief! How come we all managed 30-40 years ago?? Why have runway incursions become "the thing" nowadays... like level busts?
Hmmm... Id hazard a couple of guesses at;
-More foreign operators with less English language ability.
-Higher commercial pressures, such as getting away as quick as possible.
-The occaisional American (nationality, not airline), assuming they are next to go! :rolleyes: