PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins...

holdandmaintain
29th Nov 2006, 17:27
Just another post like steakpie's about starting college. After a very amusing medical I can safely say I am off to Bournemouth in March and wondered if anyone else out there is doing the same....

Thanks to all the posts about what to / and not to do during the selection process. Get posting....!

;)

smellysnelly2004
29th Nov 2006, 20:09
I'm also off down south in march.

Once the Jan course has started there'll be a forum created by NATS where everyone can go to meet each other.

PM me and we can 'get to know each other';)

But not in a gay way!

Ryan

Barnaby the Bear
30th Nov 2006, 07:55
PM me and we can 'get to know each other'

:{ Its so beautiful! :}

Good luck on the course. They used to have a course p@sS up near the beginning. You will all get to know each other. :E

Quincy M.E.
30th Nov 2006, 10:54
The first week is basically a 'get to know each other' week which involves team games during the day and drinking games during the evening.

wizad
30th Nov 2006, 12:23
although the first week is good, beers, bonding, beers etc etc... you are still very much under the watchfull eye of college types with the power to end your great career as they see fit.

what we did a few years ago when we started, which was made easier as 4 of us shared a house was to have a big ol' shindig at our place on the friday after the first week at college where you could really let your hair down and get to know eachother..... although it did end in a trip to bournemouth A&E for a certain flybhoy after proving he cannot remain on his 2 feet, chase a grapefruit down the corridor prior to consuming a questionable amount of alcohol that evening...... but it was a great team effort in first aid and gave us all something to laugh about the next week at work.... although not for him... stitches and a partially shaved head.

W

holdandmaintain
30th Nov 2006, 12:44
The first week is basically a 'get to know each other' week which involves team games during the day and drinking games during the evening.

:cool: I like the evening idea!!! Could lead to some very interesting stories :yuk:
Any excuse for fun and debauchery before the real work is a tick for me....

fly bhoy
30th Nov 2006, 13:59
although the first week is good, beers, bonding, beers etc etc... you are still very much under the watchfull eye of college types with the power to end your great career as they see fit.
what we did a few years ago when we started, which was made easier as 4 of us shared a house was to have a big ol' shindig at our place on the friday after the first week at college where you could really let your hair down and get to know eachother..... although it did end in a trip to bournemouth A&E for a certain flybhoy after proving he cannot remain on his 2 feet, chase a grapefruit down the corridor prior to consuming a questionable amount of alcohol that evening...... but it was a great team effort in first aid and gave us all something to laugh about the next week at work.... although not for him... stitches and a partially shaved head.
W
Its all scurrilous rumour I tell you!!! I clearly did all that AFTER consuming a qustionable amount of alcohol!!!:ouch: :} And wearing the headset with a bandage on was rather funny!!;)
As the boy says though, it really does help you settle in if you know at least some people on your course prior to New Place (if they still have it there that is) and living with coursemates does help studying and bouncing ideas (or grapefruits) off each other!!!
FB:ok:

wizad
30th Nov 2006, 14:19
and the fact that we still talk about it every now again is proof that it is the way to go..... but then again we still talk about 'that' barmaid in ha has in guildford and im starting to beleive she was just a mirage after to many drinks.....

reportyourlevel
30th Nov 2006, 15:41

I wouldn't fancy doing the New Place thing in January, much too cold and wet! The food and drink was good though, except maybe the BBQ - eh, Quincy?

SilentHandover
30th Nov 2006, 17:31
More NATS cutbacks mean we, the January course, do not get the pleasure of a week at New Place. The induction week consists of 4 days at Hurn.

30th Nov 2006, 17:49
Thats a scandal!?! New place was ledgendary!

Don't know what they're doing, the course that plays together stays together!! From what i hear at the college the social side has all but disappeared. No more thursday nights and friday breakfasts?

:confused:

Taffy1
30th Nov 2006, 18:23
Thursday night only 132.3?? From what I remember it was monday, tuesday, wednesday and friday for some, this ring a bell!!!:

30th Nov 2006, 18:31
Taf,
I think you're also forgetting those magic saturday and sundays!

Ahh, the college was fantastic.

30th Nov 2006, 18:53
just that big rumour mill and evidently, not for the first time it's fed through a load of b*llocks. I stand corrected

Permanent Echo
30th Nov 2006, 21:11
I cant believe they've got rid of New Place! What does the induction week consist of now? More to the point, what on earth will poor Top Team do for a living if NATS cuts them out of the programme? It would be a shame if the newcomers miss out on all the insightful feedback they give...

smellysnelly2004
30th Nov 2006, 21:12
Random alcohol testing - interesting!

Does that mean any alcohol at all in the blood and you're fooked or a legal limit like driving??

Permanent Echo
30th Nov 2006, 21:20
Its a limit. But a low one. Probably best to play it on the safe (and responsible) side and not have any. I think the limit for breath is 9 micrograms in 100 millilitres.

smellysnelly2004
30th Nov 2006, 21:29
I do plan on staying very safe then letting off steam on fridays.

Can't wait to start!!

SACrIGGER
30th Nov 2006, 21:45
As far as I know, the New place is still where the induction week is held. It is just that for the December course, it was decided that it would be put forward a week, and will now start in January, so I can only assume that it wasn't possible to rearrange the New Place for this revised date.

Ian.

Steakpie
1st Dec 2006, 08:18
The new place has definately been scrubbed and i don't think the random testing will be much of an issue as who can afford to go drinking every night when rent is 600 a month and take home pay is 650!

wizad
1st Dec 2006, 16:30
jesus... where are you renting for 600 a month, sea view penthouse???

45 before POL
1st Dec 2006, 17:29
if your sharing, should average about 200-300 a month plus bills.
Wizad....seem to remember there was a few trips to A&E during the course...The railings incident outside walkabout had with one collegue was a great one. ....Absolutely nothing to do with alcohol:E :E

hangten
2nd Dec 2006, 10:57
chase a grapefruit down the corridor prior to consuming a questionable amount of alcohol that evening......

hahahahaa!! i'd forgotten about that!

i can think of at least two people who had problems with the railings outside walkabout...

wizad
3rd Dec 2006, 17:31
those railings were a nightmare, i must go back and try to hurdle them sober one day......

hospital untill 3am....but i did make it to college the next day, split eyebrow, blood and still under the influence of the same falling down water that makes you want to chase a grapefruit down the corridor.

my application for the drunk olympics is still pending so im told, but at least im getting lots of practice.

and the railings in guildford are a doddle.... more beginner standard.

W

Quincy M.E.
4th Dec 2006, 09:48
I wouldn't fancy doing the New Place thing in January, much too cold and wet! The food and drink was good though, except maybe the BBQ - eh, Quincy?

Has my secret identity been compromised!?

More NATS cutbacks mean we, the January course, do not get the pleasure of a week at New Place. The induction week consists of 4 days at Hurn.

Nice! Whats next: you have to pay the college to attend the induction?! Or maybe a Distance learning package induction week!

It would be a shame if the newcomers miss out on all the insightful feedback they give...

I hope you are being sarcastic!

reportyourlevel
4th Dec 2006, 15:35
Has my secret identity been compromised!?

I'm working on it... I know which course you're on now!

Quincy M.E.
6th Dec 2006, 09:47
I think not; my powers of deduction and crime solving, honed whilst palming all my work onto Sam Fujiama and trying to get Aston off my back, will prevent further lapses.

JIMBAMBOON
6th Dec 2006, 22:29
Awesome stuff, I too am also starting at the college in March, can't wait should be interesting, however i live down here in Bournemouth, so have had extensive practice on the walkabout railings!!:ok:

SACrIGGER
6th Dec 2006, 22:33
Starting Hurn in January, 'am currently undergoing an intensive period of training, with the big 1st hurdle on the 3rd Jan.

p.s How far is the A&E from Westby Rd??

Ian.

wizad
6th Dec 2006, 22:49
i think i went there 3 times while at the college, its about four to five miles.....

the staff were always friendly and helpful and funny enough as soon as you said you were a trainee ATCO they knew what you were talking about... apparantly they get a few of us in there every now and again.

i seem to remember flybhoy even being graced with a sticker bearing the words 'i bumped my head' after the grapefruit incident.... very fitting for a guy in his late twenties.

enjoy.

W

Dances with Boffins
7th Dec 2006, 14:58
...and just in case there are any doubts, the entire Basic Course was urine-tested this week without any warning. I think we can safely say that the glory days of yore are well and truly over. :{

P*ss has been taken.

JIMBAMBOON
7th Dec 2006, 18:14
Does anybody have any idea what date the March course will start. Mailed HR and they said last Monday of the month being the 26th, but im not sure if they meant last monday of Feb, for a March start, or last Mon in March. Seems a bit pointless starting so late in March, any ideas?:ugh:

smellysnelly2004
7th Dec 2006, 18:22
They told me the same - provisional start date of Monday 26th March. I get the feeling nothing will be finalised until the Jan course is up and running.

Can't wait!!

holdandmaintain
7th Dec 2006, 22:32
Urine testing, talk about raining on the parade....:=

I spoke to HR last week and was told 26th March. I hope it doesn't change as I am trying to time my notice to make sure I don't spend too much before the move:ugh:

JIMBAMBOON
8th Dec 2006, 17:15
Exactly! Although im not due to leave my job till 7th March :bored: fingers crossed they dont bring it forward..... too much.

My msn is [email protected] - if anyone wants to discuss anything bout the March start!!