PDA

View Full Version : PPL VFR Flying In A European Country?

HR200
29th Nov 2006, 11:32
Hi, I have recently got my UK PPL and I am thinking about flying to the North Of France from Leeds. I heard an airport called Le Tourquet is a good place.

Well, I know I have to fill in a Flight Plan, but my main question is the Radio. Do they say the same things as us. Do I say the same stuff like getting a Flight Information Service or a Radar Information Service.

Who do I talk to when going over the channel etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Nov 2006, 11:34
Hi Andrew,

They do the same as we do over here and they say the same sort of things, but sometimes they do it in French!

:)

Do a search on the forums and you will find tons of good stuff.

HR200
29th Nov 2006, 11:39
Cheers mate, I did think they would do, but, obviously, first time flying in a foreign country so a bit unsure how they handle traffic.

pistongone
29th Nov 2006, 12:23
HR200,
L2K is good, but from up here you could make Oostende or Rotterdam in less time, but a bit longer over the wet stuff, see Xing the Channell thread! for an objective veiw of that subject. This time of year you would be looking at an overnighter or a very expensive cuppa :}

soay
29th Nov 2006, 13:29
you could make Oostende or Rotterdam in less time
and they speak English over the radio in Holland!

HR200
29th Nov 2006, 15:39
Thanks everybody, im the sort of person who enjoys a challenge. I will save up some cash for the france trip, but, I have to hire a plane from my local flying club at LBA.

I will also try and fly into Manchester from Leeds to see if I can do it. Im very confident when it comes to flying and using the radio, so I can't see a problem.

GWidgery
29th Nov 2006, 17:09
I flew to Le Touquet last July from White Waltham. Great idea to cross the channel, it's great fun. It's no more difficult really than anywhere else. They've just got a french accent! The Le Touquet controller might speak in French to other people on the frequency, but as soon as you make your initial call in English, they'll speak to you in english for the rest of the time.

Luckily, Le Touqet, and the needed bit of the channel are both on the south UK map, which makes things nice and easy! :)

Crossing the channel can be quite difficult, especially without a horizon, so tracking a VOR can make it much easier. You could use either Dover (DVR) or Lydd (LYD), and track direct to Le Touquet from there. I use the LYD VOR.

Crossing the channel you will need to talk to London Information (South East) on 124.6, who will then pass you over to Lille Info. You'll get a FIS from them, and they'll give you a squawk.

Once you get close to the FIR (Flight Information Region) Boundary, London will tell you to go to Lille Information 120.275. You'll speak to them briefly (and i mean briefly). They can be quite busy so talk to them and change out asap.

Make sure you transfer to Le Touquet 118.45 early enough, or else you'll bust their airspace before you get clearance. Depending on your cruise level it may be worth starting your descent as your cross the FIR boundary.

RT in the ATZ there is pratically the same, just make sure you've got the airport charts with you. Park up and have a look around! :)

There can be a bit more to do in going to another country (passports, flightplans, extra forms etc...) but it's all worth it.

Once you're there, there is a restaurant at the airport, or the town centre is just a 5 minute taxi ride away, where there are loads of shops, restaurants and a beach. :)

Safe flying

GWidgery

P.S. Do you want to pick me up from White Waltham on the way! :P

Chilli Monster
29th Nov 2006, 18:24
Im very confident when it comes to flying and using the radio, so I can't see a problem.

Ahh - the arrogance of youth

Employ a teenager while they still know it all :rolleyes:

RVFlyer
30th Nov 2006, 12:14
A great idea, it's really nice, don't forget to walk round to the other side of the airfield & get some cheap wine at the supermarket (20mins walk) they will also order a taxi back for you and your goodies. Another bonus is to fill out a fuel drawback form which can be found on the HM Customs website (with a bit of difficulty) it should pay the landing fee. If you are departing from a non-customs field you can file the flightplan by fax & notice of intended flight to Customs thereby avoiding a time consuming stop at Manston or Lydd etc. Activate your flightplan (via London Info.) 10 mins before 'coasting out' -you use this term as you go out over the channel & 'coasting in' when you come back. Le Touquet will usually offer to do the return flightplan when you arrive if you know how long you are staying.
Enjoy it

(WEAR your life jackets)

HR200
30th Nov 2006, 20:43
Ahh - the arrogance of youth

Employ a teenager while they still know it all :rolleyes:

I didn't say I knew it all, or I wouldn't start this thread, I just stated the fact I was confident.

HR200
30th Nov 2006, 20:46
GWidgery, many thanks for that. Very useful, I just heard that Le Touqet was brilliant for a first flight out of the UK, and not to far in, so, I hope it goes well.

Andrew

stickandrudderman
1st Dec 2006, 06:41
HR200,
Chillimonster was only being light-hearted, don't be so sensitive!

Gwidgery has some sound advice and has offered to come with you.
I suggest that's a good idea!

I don't know where you did your training, but I would have expected that if they were any good they would be only too happy to help you broaden your horizon in this way.

Most of all stay safe and ejoy the trip!:ok:

GWidgery
1st Dec 2006, 15:55
HR200,
Gwidgery has some sound advice and has offered to come with you.
I suggest that's a good idea!

Just to re-itterate :P I would definitely like the chance to fly cross channel again, unfortunately funds mean I can't do that alone!

If you'd like to go, then drop me a PM.

:)

GWidgery