PDA

View Full Version : "Core lock" after flameout. Known problem?

ZeeDoktor
27th Nov 2006, 19:15
Hi all,

just read this interesting article on the Pinnacle crash: http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/11/28/Navigation/177/210782/Crash+may+prompt+new+CF34+test.html

Were any of you aware of a problem called "core lock" (zero rotation in a jet engine due to thermal stress after a flameout)?

Cheers

Swedish Steve
27th Nov 2006, 19:23
Once upon a time I was ground running a RB211-524 when we ran out of oil , due to a leak and my inattention, and stopped the engine without cooling it down. It seized, and we could not restart it. We ended up changing it as the aircraft was required for service. The next day, the engine shop found no fault with it after it had cooled down!

barit1
28th Nov 2006, 13:54
Not at all unusual on engines w/ tight clearances (fresh from shop). The cause, well covered in the RJ thread, is the hot lightweight casing cooling faster than the massive rotor disks. Patience is the cure.

Capt. Greaseon
29th Nov 2006, 12:21
Just wondering would this event only occur in jet engines or would it be possible on turboprops as well ???

barit1
29th Nov 2006, 14:36
It's definitely possible on ANY turbine, given tight enough clearances, which is the recipe for low fuel burn.

A double-edged sword.

Clandestino
29th Nov 2006, 21:11
At academic level, core lock was known, although it's mightily uncommon. I wonder what will this CF34 testing come down to. I guess there are not many test pilots willing to exactly replicate the Pinnacle flight.