PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Evans VP1 or VP2

captainyonder
27th Nov 2006, 12:45
Afternoon chaps,

I'm looking to buy either a VP1 or VP2 for hours building and then general recreational flying. Does anyone know where I can find one!?

QDMQDMQDM
27th Nov 2006, 12:58
There's a VP2 based here at Sheepwash in Devon. It seems in quite reasonable nick. I think there's a chance the owner may be willing to sell, but I don't know.

From what I hear, though, the VP2 is no delight in terms of handling and has very marginal power. It looks as ugly as sin too.

It's G-BXOC and the owner's details are on G-INFO.

robin
27th Nov 2006, 13:22
There is also one at Dunkeswell, but that might have been sold by now.

Sir George Cayley
27th Nov 2006, 13:46
Evans VP1 - Recreational?

BTW How much do you weigh?:)

Don't forget it was designed by a committee!

And yes, I don't like 'em. :( If you want cheap fun flying there's always a few Taylor Monos to be bought if you know where to look and I've seen some pretty cheap prices recently.:ok:

Sir George Cayley

captainyonder
27th Nov 2006, 13:46
Thanks chaps. Any thoughts on a self build VP1? I'm tempted. I need an aircraft that I can fly next summer really.

Also, would I be right in thinking that I should be looking to pay around the £3k mark for a completed aircraft?

I'm only a small bloke Sir George Cayley so weight isn't an issue!

stiknruda
27th Nov 2006, 14:32
I wish you luck..ISTR that another young 'un tried this route for hour building:E :E :E :E

javelin
27th Nov 2006, 14:50
Don't Do It Ethel !

Get 2 of you together and get a Champ,Chief or Cub - will work out the same and you get a proper aeroplane :ugh:

shortstripper
27th Nov 2006, 14:59
Now now STIK, you flew it ok.

I used to have a VP2 and still have a half built one. They are marginal with a VW, but I reckon if you stuck a Hirth or other modern lightweight engine in one it wouldn't be too bad at all. They don't have the nicest handleing but are good fun even if others like to scoff! I operated mine out of a 250 yard strip, but that was very tight and not to be recommended :\ They are very cheap but cost almost as much to build as any other much better similar sized homebuilt. If building from scratch, you'll never see a return on your investment ... but part built might be ok. A similar sized a/c like a Luton Minor, Taylor mono even a FRED might just about cover the cost of materials, but I doubt a VP would. They are however, much easier to build.

If you approach their operation with the right attitude you'll be hard pressed to find a cheaper way to fly. But as others have alluded ... approach with caution.

SS

Dan Dare
27th Nov 2006, 16:30
If you really must get a VEEP, then there is a good one one gathering dust at White Waltham (01628 823272) and I'm sure they would love to sell it to you without asking for too much.

However,

There are much nicer mounts about. There are (some) cheeper aircraft to buy and to fly (VP probably burns 50% more fuel than Turb or Bebe) and the only thing I can think of in the VPs favour is the pose(?) of being able to get off your plank in some field and say that you actually flew that in - just to see the look of disbelief on their faces:}

It is also unlikely that you will be able to fly sufficient hours to justify outright ownership, and most shared ownership is as good as, but much cheeper than owning outright. If there is not an available share in your area you should consider buying something worthwhile and sindicating it. If there is a suitable steed in your area, then I'm sure noone would mind you approaching them to ask if a share is available...

HAL-26
27th Nov 2006, 17:07
.....And if you're looking in the hangar at White Waltham, there's also a potentially nice Gardan Minicab sitting awaiting some TLC. I don't think it would cost much more (if at all) than the Veep to get flying and it would be a much nicer and ultimately more saleable aeroplane in the future.

I haven't ever flown a VP, but I spent over 100hours over the past couple of years in a Luton Minor. If you're under 10 stone they are a fun and affordable way to go flying. Check out www.lutonminor.com (http://www.lutonminor.com)

The only thing though is. Its much more sociable flying with a second seat and you then tend to use the aeroplane more too. That's the only thing that prompted the sale of my Luton, was the urge to acquire a two-seater.

Rod1
27th Nov 2006, 17:42
Put a post on the PFA site and you will probably get a response. You would do much better to get a share in something else, almost anything else.

Rod1

QDMQDMQDM
27th Nov 2006, 17:55
The only thing though is. Its much more sociable flying with a second seat and you then tend to use the aeroplane more too. That's the only thing that prompted the sale of my Luton, was the urge to acquire a two-seater.

From what I understand, it is best not to make the mistake of thinking the VP2 is a two-seater. The fact that it is possible for two people to sit in it is of incidental importance.

captainyonder
27th Nov 2006, 18:18
It's odd I know, but I really have my heart set on the VP1. I'm not really bothered about resale value, it's only a small investment anyway and it's a very cheap way to get flying on a regular basis. Anything else under the £4k mark might just float my boat!!

No need for a two seater, my girlfriend is now my ex girlfriend and I intend on making the aircraft my next mistress!

I'm attracted to the pure simplicity of the VP1.

shortstripper
27th Nov 2006, 18:33
I now fly a Slingsby T31m. It's far nicer to fly than the Veep and even cheaper! I know of one for sale if you are interested. Here's a picture of mine so you can see what it is. Basically a Luton Minor witha bigger wing and better performance ... just :p

http://www.ivan.pfanet.co.uk/pop1.jpg

SS :ok:

captainyonder
27th Nov 2006, 18:56
What sort of price are we looknig at for purchase SS? Also hourly costs? Many thanks :)

Rod1
27th Nov 2006, 19:29
I remember a comment made at a PFA meeting. The VP1 is crude, the Fred is simple.

Rod1

ANW
27th Nov 2006, 19:38
The PFA North West strut has a VP2 for sale. Cheap!
check under For Sale and Wanted where you will find details.
When last seen it was hiding in a hangar at Barton.
http://www.pfanwstrut.flyer.co.uk/

shortstripper
27th Nov 2006, 19:47
Not sure of the price but I can find out if seriously interested. I wouldn't expect to pay much more than £3-4K for a T31m usually nearer £3k than £4k, unless it's as good and new like mine ;)

Running costs are as cheap as you want to make them. The T31m derigs (although you wouldn't want to have to do it each time you fly) so you could store it through the winter to save hangarage. If desperate you could store it in a trailer and rig and tie down for long spells of decent weather all year. Mine burns around 2.5-3 gallons of mogas per hour and I do maint on a "as needed" basis rather than budgeting it in per hour. However, I built it and do the maintanence myself, if you can't/won't, then budget for arount £3-500 per year inc permit. Insurance was around £500 third party this year.

Performance

TO - 50' in around 200yards
Landing over a 30' hedge to standstill = around 150 yards
Climb (1834 VW) = 500'/min +
Cruise = economy 50 knots, max 65 knots
VNE 78 knots
Stall around 28 knots

interestingly the same VW engine was in my VP2 and gave around 200'/min climb and started to run out of puff at about 3000'. The CHT would rise at high revs so you'd have to throttle back. On a hot summer's day, even 1500' could be a struggle :eek: The TO performance was always ok though once you learned the correct technique.

SS

Mike Cross
27th Nov 2006, 21:08
Theres a VP1 gathering dust in Doug Ranger's hangar at Popham (Wiltshire Aircraft Maintenance 01256 398372 )

captainyonder
27th Nov 2006, 21:36
Excellent. Thanks for all the feedback chaps. I'm definitely going to take a closer look at T31m thanks SS. Sounds like a good little aircraft.

I've sent off an offer for the VP2 at Barton, but have mentioned I might require some assistance completing the build. I'm hoping to fit a Dynon Avionics EFIS system into it. They can be had quite cheaply now (about £1,800 for a full suite including engine monitoring).

We'll see what comes of it.

J.A.F.O.
28th Nov 2006, 03:23
Hang on.

Why try to find a sub-3K aircraft to fit with an almost 2K EFIS?

EFIS in a Veep?

Surely, if it's noisy the engine's working, if it's noisy and doesn't smell of burning the engine is working well.

I've got 95% of a VP-2 which I intend to fly some day, when I get round to re-building the few bits that need doing. I love it to bits but:

a) I've yet to fly it
b) I didn't get this much good advice before I bought it

stiknruda
28th Nov 2006, 07:28
EFIS - deffo a jolly good idea.

I think that you ought to take a look at the Garmin GNS530 (twinned obviously), Wx8 Strormscope, Mode Sierra, TCAS and possibly a BRS parachute.

Unless you really are a 4st racing snake the thing is so underpowered that you'd be best advised not to add any weight at all. I certainly wouldn't want one with lots of paint.

And I have flown one, once and once was plenty!:ouch:

captainyonder
28th Nov 2006, 09:33
Haha! Maybe I'll think again then on the EFIS issue! Jut thought it might be an easier fit than a standard instrument set.

shortstripper
28th Nov 2006, 09:54
Standard instruments for a Veep are ... ASI, ALT, Compass, RPM and oil temp/pressure. The only other very useful instrument is a CHT. Anything more is just unneccesary weight.

If you are light like me then the VP is fine. It is easy to get it onto the back of the drag curve which will frighten you as you just won't climb and the engine will quickly overheat :eek: Avoid that, and accept it's less than crisp (compared to other single seat homebuilts) handleing and you'll find it a lot of fun. It takes a few hours to get used to it's quirks, but it is essentially very easy to fly. I'd still advise you to seek out a Luton, FRED, T31m, Taylor Mono ect in preferance for similar money though. That said, for the money you can't really go that wrong if it's a decent one.

SS

SlipSlider
28th Nov 2006, 19:32
About 20 years ago there was a squadron of VPs based at Old Sarum.

... around 1990 and mine was one of them. There were 4 x VP2s and 6 or 7 VP1s all in varying states of airworthiness. I think 4 or 5 in the air at the same time was the most achieved. Great fun though; cheap as chips indeed, but you'd need to develop a thick skin, VPs are not to everyone's taste!

I certainly wouldn't recommend building one now, there must be a number of completed examples lying around in garages etc just awaiting minimal money and a little tlc to get them back in the air - mine included!

Slip

S205-18F
28th Nov 2006, 20:55
Dont know much about VP1s but I have a Luton Minor and have flown 15 hours in it over 2 months and loved every moment! The climb rate is a heady 200 fpm and 60 kts cruise is just about achievable the best bit is I still have cash in the bank to allow me to fly even more (9-10 lph Mogas)! I intend to up the engine(1600 VW peacock) to 1834cc not for speed but to improve climb rate, too many hills around me that take a bit of climb to get over. Instruments are minimal and I have a handheld radio and a small handheld gps the simplicity is one of the endearing qualities. I have purchased a leather flying helmet with the headset installed and dont care what it looks like cos as was pointed out you need to be thick skinned to fly these planes.

S205-18F
29th Nov 2006, 07:45
WR it is simple some times when you are having so much fun you end up forgetting where you are and it is just a nice little comforter also have you ever tried to open a map in an open cockpit:eek: The radio is to listen to all the poor spam can pilots yattering away to the various services:bored: Seriously its there because I fly out of a field that has para dropping and is for safety:ok:

shortstripper
29th Nov 2006, 17:12
The GPS sounds very sensible. I used to fly S205-18F's Luton Minor using a chart and it wasn't easy, but gps was bloody expensive back then. I've dumbed down my anti GPS views since I've started flying the T31m (which is even more windy than the Luton). I keep the chart to hand (under my bum actually) as I find it easier to orientate myself with (too many years using a chart compared to gps) but now use the PDA + memory map + gps as primary nav with double checks against the chart. In an open cockpit aircraft, I have to admit this has reduced the workload considerably and added to the enjoyment no end ... though as a pureist I hate to admit it :\

SS

ulflarsson
29th Nov 2006, 19:16
There is a Volksplane i Sweden that is for sale, contact the swedish EAA and they will give you the name and E-mail of the owner. It´s not a pretty plane but it does the job. www.eaa.se (http://www.eaa.se) I think it´s yellow blue based in Stockholm.
If you want to get up to this summer already I have only one advice. Buy one flying. Finishing a plane alomost always costs more then to buy one RTF. (ready to fly)

Good luck

captainyonder
29th Nov 2006, 22:51
It looks like I'm going to be purchasing a completed aircraft. I've had my offer accepted and hope to take delivery in late January. It's a VP-1 on the G register with a simple GPS installed....maybe I won't install my EFIS after all!! I'll save the for the A320!

skybolt
30th Nov 2006, 18:44
There is a reason all those VP's are sitting around gathering dust!!

J.A.F.O.
30th Nov 2006, 21:58
No reason at all for your apostrophe though and precious little for one, let alone two, exclamation marks.