PDA

View Full Version : Annual Class One medicals for 40-59 yr olds.

Docfly
26th Nov 2006, 16:39
The UK CAA have finally decided to adopt the annual JAA medical for Class One 40-59 yr olds, however they can't decide whether it will be implemented on 1st or 4th Dec, it depends on their IT dept and when they can get the new certificates to all the AMEs!
This will not be retrospective so if you get your medical done next week it will still only last for 6 months. The medical will still be 6 monthly if you are operating single pilot commercially. Some ECGs and Audios will need to be done early to bring the renewal dates into line.

cessna l plate
27th Nov 2006, 07:07
Does anyone know if this means that the class 2 medical will now go out to 2 years for the over 40's as opposed to the annual at the moment?

RAT 5
27th Nov 2006, 11:33
Just to get this right: are you saying that there is a JAA recommedation for medicals for over 40's, flying MPA commercially, to be valid for 12 months and not the 6 months as at present? Are you also saying that each JAA state must agree or not to this proposal?

sarah737
27th Nov 2006, 12:26
From the UK CAA website:

The JAA will shortly publish Amendment 5 of JAR FCL 3 Medical Requirements. One of the changes is that class one medical certificate holders aged between 40 and 59 years of age, other than those engaged in single pilot commercial air transport passenger carrying operations, will have an increased certificate validity from 6 months to 1 year for examinations undertaken after the December 2006 UK implementation date.

Other changes affecting ECG validity periods and the period of validity of some class two medical certificates will also come into effect on the same date. (See change in frequency of medical examinations below for details of these other changes.)

Please note that these changes will come in December 2006 and medical examinations undertaken before this date will be subject to the current requirements, including validity periods. There will be no retrospective application of the rules.

Class one certificate holders who would be due to undertake an additional investigation (eg electrocardiogram or audiogram) with a future revalidation examination are advised to bring forward the date of the investigation to the date of their first examination on or after the December date on which these changes are implementated, so that the dates of medical examinations and investigations are synchronised. Otherwise, additional tests will become due, and have to be completed, in-between periodic medical examinations.

The exact date of implementation is subject to IT changes and will be notified in due course.

All UK Aeromedical Examiners have been briefed on these changes and will be able to answer any individual queries.

chickenfeed
27th Nov 2006, 12:55
Just phoned my AME to book a Class 1 renewal as my first post-40 medical (6 month validity) expires on Christmas Day!

He confirmed what sarah737 says - UK CAA rules will almost certainly change in "early December" - they've been told probably 1st or 4th. My ECG will need to be done early to bring expiries into line.

RAFAT
28th Nov 2006, 01:55
I've been told that this rule change was brought about due to pressure on the CAA by the airlines, who ultimately pay for their pilot's Class 1 renewals.

MrBernoulli
28th Nov 2006, 10:34
NEVER!

Ryanair doesn't pay for a ******* thing!

Danny
28th Nov 2006, 15:39
Can someone in the know please clarify the bit about the dates. For example, if my Class1 medical expires on the 17th December but I renew it within the X number of weeks before, as far as I'm aware my medical expiry date is still 6 months from the original expiry date, ie 17th June.

So, if I decide to renew my medical that is due to expire on the 17th December on, say, 30th November, will I still have to have another medical before the 17th June next year or will my new medical be valid until the 17th December next year? :confused:

chickenfeed
28th Nov 2006, 16:41
Now confirmed as effective from 1st Dec 06. No retrospective extension for certificates issued prior to Friday.

BigEndBob
28th Nov 2006, 18:30
So will AME's be charging more to compensate?

Captain Airclues
28th Nov 2006, 22:00
Danny

From the CAA website;

"Please note that these changes will come in December 2006 and medical examinations undertaken before this date will be subject to the current requirements, including validity periods. There will be no retrospective application of the rules."

Therefore as anoxic and chickenfeed state, if you have your medical prior to Friday your expiry date will be 17th June, whereas if you have it after Friday the expiry will be 17th december. The date of the actual medical is the deciding factor, not the renewal date.

Airclues

Dave Gittins
29th Nov 2006, 12:35
Was at the Belgrano yesterday for my annual cardio check and they were posting cartloads of big padded envelopes to AMEs ... looks to me that they'll be lucky to get them delivered and ready for Friday.

Itswindyout
29th Nov 2006, 13:06
I assume the FAA are not party to this plan, and thus those of us with dual licences will need a FAA at six months, and a JAA at 12 months.....

At least there should be some savings...

Windy