PDA

View Full Version : New BOS Runway 14-32

RobertS975
25th Nov 2006, 14:19
The long planned new runway 14-32 at KBOS is now open. Since there is a multi-story Hyatt hotel at the runway 14 end, the runway will be for landings on 32 and takeoffs on 14. The runway is 5,000 x 100 feet. Now here's my question for air carrier pilots: If you were in a 737NG or a CRJ/ERJ, would you accept a clearance to use 14 for takeoff when there is a 10,000 foot runway 15R also on the field? What I am trying to learn is whether air carrier pilots would tend to demand the inherent extra safety available in using the longer runway?
Same for landing on 32, even with a stiff NW wind... wouldn't one do all they could to get cleared to the 10,000 foot runway rather than accept a clearance to the new runway 32 (visual approach only) at only 5000 ft?
Maybe I am wrong, but most of the air crews I have flown with will back taxi to use an extra three hundred feet... I have a hard time visualizing these same crews accepting the use of a marginal length runway. Maybe just the turboprops will get assigned to the new runway.
Would enjoy hearing the opinions of you air carrier pilots on this?

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0612/00058AD.PDF

mikemd80
25th Nov 2006, 14:32
The runway was most likely intended for the steady number of smaller airplanes that fly in and out of KBOS. Cape Air is a small commuter service that operates numerous flights in and out of BOS flying C-402s. There is also regular T-prop service (1900s, Dash-8s, etc.) that would not have difficulty operating on this runway. By removing that traffic from the runways being operated by jets, including lots of heavies, the airport probably sees a fair increase in efficiencies in their airspace. Having flown numerous operations in and out of BOS, it should be very helpful , especially when the winds are strong from the Northwest, which makes Logan a single runway operation. I've sat in JFK on a VFR day with a 3hr ground delay because BOS was in a single runway operation

Having looked at the airport diagram, I believe Cape Air operates near the Fire Station/Cargo area by K-4. Also I wouldn't be surprised if 33R is closed and made into a fulltime taxiway. When landing 4R, it is almost always used via taxiway "Y" to get you to taxiway "N". Otherwise it's basically useless.

~Mike

RobertS975
25th Nov 2006, 15:13
Cape Air operates from terminal C, landside and airside. I have no question that small twins/turboprops etc will be shunted over to 14-32... I was just wondering whether any jet in airline service, even a regional jet, would be apt to use that runway.

mikemd80
25th Nov 2006, 15:52
KPHL has a 5000' runway that is used alot by RJs. I don't imagine that there would be any reservation with doing it in BOS if the "numbers" work. That of course would depend on the individual pilot.