PDA

View Full Version : Instructing part-time

FlyingGasMain
23rd Nov 2006, 16:34
Hi,

I would like to do get my instructors ticket, and then do some part-time instructing. My main job is going to be working on an ops desk, and so I have a shift pattern that will be (so they say) 4 days on, 2 days off ie. I wont have the same days off each week.

The shifts themselves are either 7am - 1pm, or 1pm to 7pm, so there may be some potential for flying in the morning or afternoon of some working days. Obviously I would need to be careful not to overstretch myself.

My question to all you knowledgeable instructors is : do you think I would be likely to get any instructing work on this kind of part-time basis ?

Feedback so far, seems to be either

1) Try and see - not too sure about this as its 6K to do the course !

2) Could be tricky if I don't have the same days off each week.

I would like to instruct, but I need to be careful I understand what the prospects might be before signing up to a course.

Any advice much appreciated !

the dean
24th Nov 2006, 08:11
hi FlyingGasMain..

why not instruct part time:confused: ...of course its possible :D but maybe check with where you want to fly first to ensure they want part time instructors.in my experiance all do, especially the clubs and private groups who in fact usually ( with exception of the C.F.I. who depending on country is usually required to be a full time employee ). depend on such people to keep going.but the commercial flying shcools might not agree. you should enquire. one i flew with for many years was a commercial school and the instructors were only to happy to get the weekend off and let the part timers at it...:O

flying is not my livlihood but i have instructed part time for 20 years and examined for 6 years all while still flying a desk....:eek:

many of the instructors and examiners i know fly for major airlines ( but they have to watch their hours...a problem you would not have if you're not flying for a living.

so off with you...i think you will be pleasantly surprised....;)

and good luck...:ok:

the dean.

FlyingGasMain
25th Nov 2006, 15:53
Thanks for the responses. I feel a bit more positive about taking the plunge with the course now !

irish_cessna
4th Dec 2006, 00:17
hi
with a PPL done, what is the next step to be a FI without doing ME, IR etc yet so can build hours and make a few connections too hopefully. it'd be part time so as i work self employed and thr, fri, sat me busiest days i be free all other times and would almost work for free. how many hrs annually does a p/t FI clock average? thanks ;)

the dean
5th Dec 2006, 15:43
hi irish...

i used to fly weekends only and a bit evenings in the summer and i had no trouble doing 200-300 a year...

depends where you are and whether you can get in with a busy school as i was...but with a club well that obviously depends on location to an even greater degree..

good luck...:ok:

the dean.

irish_cessna
8th Dec 2006, 13:42
thanx Dean:)

vic1
13th Dec 2006, 16:46
Hi Guys,
Interesting stuff. Something that I might also be interested in on holiday in the UK. I have an ICAO ATPL/ME IR and have about 8 years experience as an erstwhile fighter jock/QFI from the Indain Air Force. I am looking to convert it into a JAA ATPL. Do you think I could do some instructional flying here in UK in my free time? Do I need to pass the 14 JAA exams for that? Do i get ANY credits whatsoever for my ICAO ATPL/ experience etc.

Dean
Do you think any of the clubs would take me on? I have no shift problems like flyinggasmain...just looking to get into the air somehow....earn some pocket money...get to know some aviators...while i tackle the 14 JAA ATPL theory exams.
Best regards