PDA

View Full Version : 4 eng flying technique.

boeing-man
23rd Nov 2006, 05:26
Hello pilots. Just curious how many operators out there with 4 eng types use 'the matching engine at constant thrust' during approach for a 1 enging out situation?

Eg : Engine 1 failed. Keep Engine 4 at constant thrust - hence constant rudder. Use Engine 2 and 3 for the approach - flying it like a normal twin.

Thank you.

Nineiron
23rd Nov 2006, 06:03
The rudder will trim the assymetric power, but the induced roll has to be compensated with aileron trim. Although this creates additional drag from 'crossed' controls, it is the best compromise situation.
Landing presents the problem of reducing the assymetry. Most procedures require the non flying person to wind off the rudder trim as the landing progresses.

18-Wheeler
23rd Nov 2006, 09:16
Hello pilots. Just curious how many operators out there with 4 eng types use 'the matching engine at constant thrust' during approach for a 1 enging out situation?

Eg : Engine 1 failed. Keep Engine 4 at constant thrust - hence constant rudder. Use Engine 2 and 3 for the approach - flying it like a normal twin.

Thank you.

I generally do that in the sim, though some sim checkies don't like it for some reason. I leave a little trim in place so I am always aware which engine has failed.
I get the F/E to zero the rudder trim when assured of landing. It makes the approach a lot easier.