PDA

View Full Version : Approach problem/ideas

XL319
22nd Nov 2006, 20:45
Well as my experience grows as a PPL the more we learn new things. Today i was told by tower to "overefly approach and re-align on right base" this was a new one to me so i'm looking for some advice. I turned right and waited for the Jetstream to pass then aligned back on base. Can you advise if this was the correct procedure?

matspart3
22nd Nov 2006, 21:04
Presumably you were on left base to start with?

A bit of an odd one, but it sounds sounds like you did the right thing. If you're in any doubt, ask ATC to say again

Chilli Monster
22nd Nov 2006, 21:53
Used quite often where I work (re-position rather than re-align being the phrase used). Used more for giving a bit more of a gap to get departures away though rather than increased spacing behind an arrival - normal technique for that would be : "Report final, number 2, following the Jetstream on an x mile final", which is less clumsy.

But - without knowing the complete scenario.......................who knows?
(sounds like you did the right thing though, which is the main thing).

XL319
22nd Nov 2006, 22:17
Thanks for that. Yes i was on left base and turned onto final, but then got the instructions to "overfly approach and align right base". ATC didn't say anything, so i presume i got it right, I asked them to confirm and she said exactly the same, haha. Just wanted to check....many thanks for your comments (new instruction from ATC, so i'll be better prepared next time)

Chilli it was to let a faster turbo prop in before me and for me to come in after the jetstream.