PDA

View Full Version : ATCO Vacancies

chevvron
22nd Nov 2006, 07:22
A certain companies' website says they have been asked to supply 'several' ATCOs to a 'busy' major airport in SE England, preferably with 'APR' but 'APC' will do.
Haven't they heard the ratings system changed 3 years ago under European regulations?

Dizzee Rascal
22nd Nov 2006, 10:03
Which website or which airport?

anotherthing
22nd Nov 2006, 10:42
Sounds like Saarffend to me at a guess??

Dizzee Rascal
22nd Nov 2006, 10:45
Sounds like Saarffend to me at a guess??

Oh, OK, thanks!:ok:

chevvron
22nd Nov 2006, 11:49
What about Manston; they purportedly have radar occasionally available; not Lydd or Biggin of course (Lydd had a 424 many moons ago as did Lympne I think)

It was gisajobs website by the way.

niknak
22nd Nov 2006, 15:45
WHEN THE REGULATIONS CHANGED, IF THE PROVIDER AT THE AIRPORT WANTED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE NEW RULES, THEY HAD TO PUT IN A SAFETY CASE TO SRG WHICH VIRTUALLY GUARANTEED THAT THEY WOULD NEVER GO PROCEDURAL, ie RADAR WOULD BE AVAILABLE ALL THE TIME.

SARFEND, AND A LOT OF OTHER REGIONAL AIRPORTS, INSIDE AND OUT OF CAS STILL REQUIRE THE APC RATING FOR THIS REASON, LARGELY BECAUSE THEY CANNOT PROVIDE AN ABSOLUTE ASSURANCE THAT A RADAR SERVICE CAN BE PROVIDED AT ALL TIMES, BUT ALSO BECAUSE (AND RIGHTLY OR WRONGLY THIS IS THE VIEW OF MANY ATSMs) MANY FEEL THAT THOSE WHO HAVE THE APC RATING CAN BE RELIED UPON TO SORT THINGS OUT QUICKLY WHEN IT ALL GOES TITS UP.

PS. Sorry for the use of capitals, but I didn't realise caps lock was on until half way through the post.

anotherthing
22nd Nov 2006, 16:12
Chevron

Sarrrffffend was a guess, having not seen the advert you allude to - I know they advertised fairly recently tho.

I would say that Sarrrffffend was busier that Manston - at a push.

As a TC controller, I certainly work more inbounds to EGMC than I do to EGMH, but may be wrong about relative 'busy-ness' of the two

chevvron
23rd Nov 2006, 06:22
Point I was trying to make was that APC and APR ratings no longer exist having been replaced by APP and APS, in the same way that ADC is now ADV or ADI (or both according to my licence)
Sarfend would probably make more use of radar if they had SSR; don't know how the poor sods cope without it.