PDA

View Full Version : Runway heading????

spongebob
21st Nov 2006, 16:33
Heres one for the Tower guys, when you clear us for take and climb in Rwy heading do you mean heading or track? Where can I find this info.

Cheers!!!

BOAC
21st Nov 2006, 16:38
Bizarre! Right here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239767&highlight=Runway+heading), found using 'Search':ugh:

chevvron
22nd Nov 2006, 06:47
The correct civil phraseology is 'climb straight ahead'; military is 'climb on runway track.'
So if you fly from a military airfield, you have to apply drift to your departure heading; fly from a civil one and you don't.

spekesoftly
22nd Nov 2006, 08:48
So if you fly from a military airfield, you have to apply drift to your departure heading; fly from a civil one and you don't.

The phrase "climb straight ahead", I agree is correct, but chevvron's comment about not allowing for drift, when departing from a UK civil airport, I suggest is mistaken.

From CAP 413:-

Straight Ahead: When used in departure clearances means: 'track extended runway centre-line'.

So the UK civil ATC phrase "After departure, climb straight ahead", does require the pilot to compensate for any drift, and to track the extended runway centre-line.

refplus20
22nd Nov 2006, 11:22
From the FAA/Pilot/Controller Glossary:
"RUNWAY HEADING− The magnetic direction that
corresponds with the runway centerline extended, not
the painted runway number. When cleared to “fly or
maintain runway heading,” pilots are expected to fly
or maintain the heading that corresponds with the
extended centerline of the departure runway. Drift
correction shall not be applied; e.g., Runway 4, actual
magnetic heading of the runway centerline 044, fly
044."
From CAP 413:
"Straight Ahead When used in departure clearances means: ‘track extended
runway centre-line’."
There appears to be no "Runway Heading" phrase in CAP 413 so it should not be issued as a clearance within the UK.
RP20

tori chelli
23rd Nov 2006, 19:00
spongebob
to expand on spekesoftly's CAP413 reference, the AIP GEN section UK definitions gen 1-7-58 table 7.2 confirms "climb straight ahead" means track extended runway centreline (i.e apply drift...naughty Chevvron:= ) but also adds that in Missed Approach Procedures, it means maintain Final Approach Track...so out or in, it's drift every time!! :)
Tori