PDA

View Full Version : - PPL training 2007 - Perth, Scotland?

june bond
21st Nov 2006, 14:06
does anyone know what is happening deifnitively in 2007 for PPL training in Perth? I know it's possible to do IR training etc, but I'm not at that stage yet and keep hearing various rumours.... Or maybe it's time to re-locate for my training....

lexmark
22nd Nov 2006, 10:46
PPL, CPL, & IR training still available with Tayflite (01738 554855 or 01738 550003).

Helicopter PPLs with Kingsfield (01738 554851)

Microlight PPLs with Pegasus (01738 550044)

And LE might be operating out of Perth too (phone number not known yet).

muggins
22nd Nov 2006, 10:55
Leading Edge will be providing PPL training for the Scottish Aero Club from January 2007, you can contact them on their Cumbernauld no. 01236 727727

It would appear that Tayflite will be concentrating on Commercial training.

Gugnunc
22nd Nov 2006, 12:54
Tayflite's main business is charter work and ME IR, SE IR, CPL training. However they are still running a small but friendly PPL training operation based around two C152's at Perth.

Instructing are one full time and one part time PPL instructor, and if required, two of the Instructors who normally do the CPL IR work can do PPL instructing at weekends.

Perth is a superb airfield and the only place in Scotland where (in summer months) you can use a grass runway for training. Handy when you think that once you have the PPL you are going to want to go to Glenforsa, Dornoch, Insch etc. Other advantages of Perth include landing fees inclusive, access to the SAC either as a student or then as a PPL, no waiting while the airliners get priority and a bit of competition between the FTO's so it isn't a closed shop. There is also a greater diversity of operations, with helicopters, microlights, the military and twins all using the airfiled. All the better for a learning enviroment.

Charley
22nd Nov 2006, 19:33
June

Not sure what you mean by 'rumours' about Perth. Do you mean the redevelopments?

My understanding is that the ownership of the field changes at the end of this year. A local property developer who already has a significant stake in the airfield and whos name adorns the side of the old tower will be taking a greater interest, insomuch as 09/27 and 15/33 (the grass rwy) will be withdrawn from use. The grass runway will be used to store caravans and ultimately the eastern side of the field 'developed' into housing and/or units.

03/21 will have a full length taxiway installed. A central grassed area (replacing the current farmland betwixt the three runways) will be made available to the local microlighting fraternity.

This info was obtained firsthand a few weeks ago, albeit from unofficial sources. However there is some resistance from local aviation groups, so plans and timescales may change as a result.

How this affects PPL training remains to be seen and it may not necessarily have any effect at all. Were these the rumours you were alluding to?

HTH
Charley

edit: more on this here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244083) although my understanding was that the central grassed area would only be available to microlights.

lexmark
22nd Nov 2006, 21:32
Not quite...

More accurate information at
http://www.scottishaeroclub.org.uk/newsletter/current.pdf

Morris Leslie Ltd has owned the airport since about 1996, the company which runs the airside operation is changing from Perth Airport 2000 to a new company called Perth Airport Scotland.

Say again s l o w l y
22nd Nov 2006, 21:37
The ideas about the new grass at Perth is really exciting. Having a licenced all over grass field is going to be great once it's up and running.

june bond
22nd Nov 2006, 22:02
Thanks for all the above info - I think you've answered my query - all the info re runways changing I had heard about, and I'm familiar with what PPL facilities they currently have - but the new club(s) info is very good news.

Hearing about runways closing and owners/managers changing does tend to indicate big changes to me. From the news that fresh folk will be also comign to the airfield, I won't get too worried about having to move training base just yet.:8

flystrathclyde
23rd Nov 2006, 06:37
As the operator of Leading Edge I would like to confirm our position at Perth.

We have an agreement with Scottish Aero Club to provide training and hire facilities at the airport.

We are working with the existing and new providers at the airport to ensure we can provide a good service to the existing and new users of the airport.

If you have any queries regarding Leading Edge at Perth please pm me - I will ensure you have the CORRECT details.

Regards

SFCC
2nd Dec 2006, 23:18
Perth AIRPORT.

My arse.

Whilst it is undoubtably a very nice place to fly into, I think it is hardly worthy of the title 'airport'.

Always wound me up, that one!:rolleyes: