PDA

View Full Version : Small round mirror on a twin.

Keygrip
21st Nov 2006, 13:07
I was talking with somebody about a multi engine rating recently, and was looking at a multi engine aircraft - a PA44 Piper Seminole.

There was a small round mirror on the lower half of the right hand side of the right engine covers.

Anybody know what that would be for?

Mercenary Pilot
21st Nov 2006, 13:11
Yeah, if I remember correctly...its so you can see if the nose gear is down. :8

Julian
21st Nov 2006, 13:17
Yep, its to check the nose gear, guess the other 2 are pure luck :)

nouseforaname
21st Nov 2006, 14:31
You can do your makeup in it too.

tescoapp
21st Nov 2006, 14:47
err i can see where keygrip is coming from.

Why the right I thought it was on the LHS.

nouseforaname
21st Nov 2006, 14:49
Actually I see what you are saying now aswell was it on the right hand side of both cowlings? One would be for checking the nose year but the other one would actually be good for nothing as far as I can see.

tescoapp
21st Nov 2006, 15:33
Could be that the cowlings fit both left and right.

Some plonker has put the cowlings for the LH engine onto the RH engine. Thus the mirror which should be on the RHS side on the left engine so the pilot can check the nose gear is now on the RHS of the right engine.

Or they only now make LHS cowlings and its just cheaper for stock to send them out with a redundant mirror fitted to 50% of them.

S-Works
21st Nov 2006, 16:04
But was it a mirror and not an icing check light?

tescoapp
21st Nov 2006, 16:18
Bose it's usually angled down towards the nose gear and although it been 6 years since I have flown a PA44 I can remember it. Its about a thumb length in diameter.

From the new piper site (http://www.newpiper.com/aircraft/seminole/)

http://www.newpiper.com/aircraft/seminole/bigpics/Pic3.jpg

If you look at the picture at the top you can see a bright disk on the LHS engine, this is where the mirror normally is. You can see on the RHS engine it is clean.

From the specs list (http://www.newpiper.com/aircraft/seminole/specifications.asp)

EXTERNAL FEATURES
Exterior Paint - DuPont Imron in a wide choice of color combinations
Stainless Steel Cowl Fasteners
Full Chemical Corrosion Protection
Stowable Towbar
Entrance Step
Tie Down Rings, Three
Jack Pads

Nose Gear Safety Mirror

Cowl Access Doors
12" Registration Numbers
Cabin and Baggage Door Locks with Piper Logo Key

Keygrip
23rd Nov 2006, 21:57
RTFQ ?

Well done Tesco.

(Send me some tea bags and decent chocolate, would you?).

BillieBob
23rd Nov 2006, 23:38
Is it not something to do with getting an advantageous view of Pamelia Perkins?

Kungathingy, and all that!

Final 3 Greens
24th Nov 2006, 06:18
Tesco

Top marks for comprehension :-)

Keygrip

Did it have the LHS mirror fitted too?

Could be that the RHS cowling was replaced and a LHS cowling used for convenience?

I once flew an Arrow in the US that had a "feather" position for the prop lever - of course it didn't, but maintenance had replaced the original bezel with one from a twin, as they had it in stock and it happened to fit.

justinmg
25th Nov 2006, 12:18
My friend has fitted mirrors to the left and right wings of his 182 RG.
Left gear checked directly. Nose gear checked by L mirror. Right gear checked in R mirror.

ViciousSquirrel
26th Nov 2006, 18:15
RTFQ ?

Well done Tesco.

(Send me some tea bags and decent chocolate, would you?).

Hullo Keygrip, how's life down South?

Looking at this question and thinking about it a bit I can recall flying Seminoles both old and new that had one on the left or one on the right, sometimes one on both cowlings, sometimes none at all and occasionally going out with both and coming back with one!

Depends on your maintenance I suppose!

Interchangable cowlings sounds fun, as the mirror would be on the wrong side if you flipped a left side cowling to the right and vica versa (SP?). If you reversed the cowling to make it fit then the mirror would be pointing at the opposite side main gear, so it might still serve a purpose! I rekon they just glued them back wherever and whenever they fell off without thought as to where they might be more useful.....

I liked it on the right as an instructor though. Stops me asking 'You sure?'

BlueRobin
26th Nov 2006, 19:28
TFC (Duxford) Tigercat also has them so perhaps not a new idea.

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/airshow05/dxoct/28tigercat.jpg

Where are you instructing now, KG?