PDA

View Full Version : Computer Clock oddity

frostbite
21st Nov 2006, 12:47
I update my clock via the Cambridge server most days, partly because I'm that sort of pedant, partly because I like it to be right for auction bidding.

Until recently, it stayed accurate to within 2-3 seconds over 24hrs but lately it has regularly been out by about 30 secs. over the same period. Backup battery was my immediate thought, but it GAINS that 30 secs.!

Any thoughts?

gizmocat
22nd Nov 2006, 06:49
A dodgy battery could also cause a gain in time.

vapilot2004
22nd Nov 2006, 08:15
Try leaving the machine on (turn off the auto-update time feature of XP and kill the standby and hibernate option under Display > Screen Saver > Power Options) and see if the clock is still running fast.

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Nov 2006, 09:11
Better yet Google an atomic clock, load it and your pooter clock will never need adjustment again. And it will be dead accurate.

NutLoose
22nd Nov 2006, 11:38
If it is a Dell there was a software issue a few years back and a ptch to correct this problem, have a look on their website technical help for it....... mine used to lose and gain time like it was going out of fashion

airborne_artist
22nd Nov 2006, 14:25
http://www.arachnoid.com/abouttime/index.html - a bit of freeware that will check/update yr clock at defined intervals - 5 mins to 5 days, you decide.