PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Flight Training Centre (SFTC) PPL

micheal
3rd Nov 2001, 21:30
Does anyone know of any good airschools around Sydney to do a PPL?
Can I do a JAR approved PPL in Australia?
Is anyone doing a PPL in Sydney at the moment?

Questions, questions, questions.............

mmg

Ash767
4th Nov 2001, 04:40
MMG

There is a flight school at Bankstown Airport named BASAIR. They are rather professional and deliver good service.

I do not know if they offer JAA etc but I do know they cater for Overseas students
Their web address is www.basair.com.au (http://www.basair.com.au)
Email is [email protected].

I would say there are a number of people doing there PPL's at the moment.

Regards
Ashley

Ash767
4th Nov 2001, 04:49
Sorry make the JAA above a JAR

Regards Ashley

Charlie Foxtrot India
4th Nov 2001, 17:59
Not possible to do the JAR PPL in Australia. However you can do the Aus PPL, which is an ICAO PPL, and you can fly on that in the UK, Day VFR private ops.
Check out the CAA website for details of "converting".
Australia is a great place to learn to fly and build up your hours, and I would certainly recommend the folks at Basair if you are in Sydney.

no sponsor
5th Nov 2001, 21:55
I'm off on a business trip to OZ, and will take the opportunity to do some flying.

Does anyone recommend a particular school? Anything I need to be aware of?

micheal
6th Nov 2001, 02:21
Thanks for your help.

MMG

On Track
6th Nov 2001, 10:24
Mmm, well I guess there are quite a few things to beware of.

For one thing, flying is a lot cheaper here! :)

If you are coming to Sydney email me direct with a few details about what you want to do, and I may be able to help out.

go with the flow
6th Nov 2001, 11:38
Hi there MMG, CFI and Dr Sundry,

Have just started myself. There are other options than Sydney of which to be aware. These include going up the coast (i.e. Port Macquarie), down the coast (i.e. Nowra, Moruya) or an inland aerodrome (ie Camden). These all have advantages over sydney if you don't need to be here. In particular, not having to deal with Bankstown queues and a hectic environment and the flight out to the training area (prices@hour seem only a little cheaper but there generally aren't landing fees, which is good when doing circuits, too).
At Port Mcq I gather Johnston aviation has a good rap and is said to be especially cheap for multihours. Curtis aviation at Camden has a few tail draggers and some aeros capability which is a plus. I'm going through Moruya aero club largely for personal local reasons but am very satisfied without trying to plug for gain. It also has ultra cheap accom and is literally on the beach so perhaps might be an off-beat way to get it done if you're time rich and can stay there.

Question for CFI: I heard a rumour about not being able to use an Oz PPL in the Uk until 100hrs: know anything about this?

no sponsor
6th Nov 2001, 13:36
Yes, I noticed the price. Unbelievable.

This seems better than the US - if you get someone else to pay for your ticket over there...

I've contacted Schofields flying club at Bankstown.