PDA

View Full Version : Instructing and vintage flying

looptheloop
18th Nov 2006, 22:37
I am in the process of gearing myself up to study for my CPL exams. My ambition is to instruct and hopefully in the future fly vintage aircraft- particularly Tigermoth, Harvards and Chipmunks. I have some experience in all 3 types.
I have two questions:
I have read other threads who debate the pros and cons of doing the CPL or ATPL studies. I have no desire to fly anything big, fast or new and therefore am reluctant to do the ATPL exams, hoping the CPL will be adequate for a career instructing (I have a teaching background). Would you agree that this is the route to go and if so who would you recommend for the CPL studies? I have found plenty of ATPL homestudy support but very little for the CPL exams.

Secondly does anyone have any good connections to any Vintage Aircraft groups? I grew up very close to Old Warden and spent my childhood drooling over the planes from the Shuttleworth collection (not many other girls shared my passion!). My dream job would be to combine working for someone like DeltaAviation along with instructing and to get to fly these fantastic planes for fun. I am also looking for a job- full time or part time doing just about ANYTHING while i study for the exams. I have a lot of experience in the scenic/trial flights/experiences market. Anyone out there need some help?
Any advice on either subject would be greatly appreciated.

mungo_55
23rd Nov 2006, 10:54
GTS seem to do a distance learning CPL course: http://www.gtserv.co.uk/cpl_course.htm

I did my ATPLs with Bristol who I found to be very good. I guess you could also ask them if they would do their ATPL course for you at a discount, as you only need 9 subjects. It would make your refresher sessions before the exam quite relaxing if you could skip some of the classroom sessions.

Good luck with your training ! If I can't get a non-instructing job after a year or 2, then I think the route you're following would appeal to me a lot as well. Love the idea of instructing, and love vintage planes. I think I'd have to find another source of income as well though !

betterfromabove
23rd Nov 2006, 11:19
Have been thinking along the same lines myself recently after getting a Tiger conversion, although P/T. Can't believe there aren't more people wanting to do this?!?

Probably going to start the CPL ground exams with GTS in Bournemouth in the New Year. Went to see them a while back & are a very friendly bunch & only heard good things about them from past students I've spoke to (...lots of +ve feedback on here too...)

Would be very interested to hear from anyone doing this already. Quite how many hours on type would you need to build up on type? Considering the rarity of the aircraft, would you be better instructing within a syndicate or even buying your own aircraft & operating as a "one-man-band"? How does it work in practice?!?

From my own Tiger-taming experiences, can see the obvious challenges as far as instructing goes (open cockpits making discussion VERY difficult, crosswind "amusements", different control harmonisation etc). You need a kind of "mentor instructor" that are hard to find these days.... are there any FIE speciliasing in this kind of thing?

Cheers
BFA

bogbeagle
23rd Nov 2006, 11:24
loop-the-loop,

You may find that you need considerable tailwheel experience and a good number of flying hours before anyone lets you near their Tiger Moths/Dragon Rapides/Harvards. If you have that, great. If not, you need to get it.

email the operators of these outfits and get the facts.

I understand that the market for these Days to Amaze-type flights has diminished, somewhat. I speak as someone who has "done a bit" in the past, when I tell you that you will, as ever, work bloody hard for little financial reward.

Don't wish to dispirit you, just inject a note of pragmatism.

bogbeagle