PDA

View Full Version : How much time?

Chuck Ellsworth
18th Nov 2006, 02:10
There is an interesting discussion on the Canada thread that I believe could be discussed by those in the flight training industry.

Someone asked about his chances of employment in Canada with 1000 hours flight time mostly single engine charter and there followed some discussion on the skills level or lack thereof with 1000 hours charter flying.

My own personal opinion on this subject is that 1000 hours commercial flying is plenty of time for a good hands and feet pilot and good decision making powers to qualify to fly any aircraft with proper training on type.

This mindset that flying airplanes is some kind of black magic is nonsense, an airplane is just another piece of machinery that with proper training can be mastered by the average man or woman and trying to pretend that it takes superman to fly one is just plain nonsense.

Total time is a poor bench mark of a pilots skills, some are just born naturals and learn fast, some are average and learn at a slower pace and some are hopeless and will never reach a high level of skill, even with all the human factors training, CRM training, PDM and all the other courses these factors remain mostly unchanged.

So even with all these courses a semi moron will not really be changed much, other than having passed the courses. You still have a semi moron.

Anyhow I just thought I would throw this into the sand box and see if anyone has any thoughts on this and where it will lead.

Chuck E.

foxmoth
18th Nov 2006, 07:04
Total time is an indicator but no more than that and it needs looking at in context with what that time consists of, 1000 hours of RHS in an airline will not qualify you to operate single crew bush flying.
I would suggest that the 1000 hours single engine is good for most types of flying, in that time the guy would have probably have had to operate in ****ty wx, into difficult strips with few aids and done a lot of thinking on his feet. Having said that, a couple of hundred hours multi time would help.

Lembrado
18th Nov 2006, 12:37
Hey Chuck,

Been reading the thread in the Canadian forum with interest. I learnt to fly in Vancouver - Ahh those trips over to tofino for lunch!

Anyway, my flying skills and ability to learn new information haven't changed since PPL days - I still have broadly the same flying skills now. The only thing that has changed is my experience level. So I would agree that total time is somewhat irrelevant in terms of pure flying skill, an individuals ability to learn quickly is far more important.

That goes for multi time also.

L.