PDA

View Full Version : CTC Social Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Flik Roll
17th Nov 2006, 16:30
Thread for social only. Find out who is on your phase here, NOT in the other thread...

Reverand Lovejoy
17th Nov 2006, 19:19
Hey guys/girls

Im on CP42 short course leaving for sunny NZ on the 22nd Nov - haven't even started to think about packing yet! haha

Whilst Im here, how are you guys getting on out there? How many hours do CP42 have as Im the only person coming out on the short course - very lonely flight for the 23 hours or whatever the sadists want me to do in rudder class. Still the happiest sod alive though after failing initially:p

I have followed these CTC threads for some time and they always go down the same road and Scroggs will close it. The same is happening on the new CTC thread at the moment. Can I suggest that if this is specifically for the CTC cadets then we move it to OUR forum? That way we get people involved over there as it is pretty stagnant at the moment.

Link here ---> http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/forum/cgis/yabb/YaBB.pl

See YA'll on Wednesday - P.s can someone pick me up as I think a minibus will be overkill for little ol' me:ouch:

The Reverand

ramshorn
17th Nov 2006, 20:22
Hi all
Just sitting here waiting to get my result of assesment today at CTC in Bournemouth?
Times ticking on now(21:20) and I expected to get the result of the day around 6-7ish.
Has anyone else that was there today heard anything yet??

Good Luck
;)

Dude~
17th Nov 2006, 21:33
Hi,

Yes I was there just got my email - through to stage 3 but got to wait until late Jan for next bit!

Tricky test wasn't it?!

bjkeates
17th Nov 2006, 22:11
Rev... I can quite assure you that it is anything BUT sunny out here at the moment! :sad:

ramshorn
17th Nov 2006, 22:38
Hi Dude!
Have just got my e mail back telling me that I was not successfull. What a ****ter! Anyway better get on with some more applications!(and swat up on long division/multiplication with decimal points!)
Well done and best of luck with the next stages.:ok:

PS Whats your real name and did I meet you earlier? I was the tall bloke with the blue shirt.;)

Dude~
17th Nov 2006, 23:43
Bad luck Ramshorn,

Hmm blue shirt... could have been a few people. Pm or Am group?

squawkident.
18th Nov 2006, 00:19
Hi-im on CP44 heading off 5Dec.
I definaty agree that we should move this onto the CTC forum. Not muc is really going on there for new starters and it would be good to get it moving, as im sure this thread has only a limited amount of time before it gets closed down.

But maybe this thread on pprune will help to keep the other CTC thread more relevant to "facts"; After all the last thread was closed because it was becoming too social.

And it seems that no matter how much the moderators try to reduce the CTC threads and content, the CTC programme is extreemly popular for "wannabees"

SIdent.

scroggs
18th Nov 2006, 08:08
After all the last thread was closed because it was becoming too social.

No, it wasn't. It was closed because it was too big at 1500+ posts. However, most of those posts added nothing whatsoever to a Wannabe's knowledge of CTC as they were trivia about which intake a member was on, or what pub they'd be in, or whether their mummy had given them peanut butter or cheese and pickle andwiches today.

I hope that the CTC Wings thread (V2) might be somewhat more useful. You can keep this one for your social trivia, but I agree that this sort of stuff ought to go to CTC's own forum - or, even better, to PM, email, or txt.

Scroggs

Flik Roll
19th Nov 2006, 15:32
Scroggs me old,
It is virtually impossible to make initial contact with those going to on the same phase as you unless you make a post to say 'I'm on phase 3 (insert date)'. We aren't mind readers so PM only without this fucntion is useless. I can understand that it does clutter the forum and detract - especially when a lot people post niff naff and triv, but why should we have to use two forums when I'm sure most would rather stick with the better, more used one of the two? If you are unhappy with this then the only thing I can suggest is make a hotmail account and use the calender feature using Prpune names so then we can establish who is on what when without the posts on the forum and use PM only. I understand your point of view as Im sure most people do....

*Just posting a view point*

squawkident.
19th Nov 2006, 17:15
Ok well since this thread is all legit "Who's gonna be on CP44"???

Not long to go now till Meet&Greet. Is anybody staying overnight on wednesday before hand. If so let me know. Im not entireley too sure myself yet.

See you soon

SIdent.

Harves
20th Nov 2006, 00:02
Ramshorn... a quick belated note in your direction.

Just wanted to say that I admire your attitude and good on you. Very refreshing to hear an honest no winging post having received bad news. I wish that I was a recruiter because you would have got my vote for a throw of the dice just based on your attitude in that post. For what it is worth from a guy who battled almost 20 years to get a seat, I suspect that if you continue in that vein, your time will come soon enough.

I can assure you from personal experience, when it comes too easy, the feeling is nowhere near as satisfying as when you had to battle a little.

Just had to mention it and good luck.

Harves

flyhiguy28
20th Nov 2006, 11:03
Ah, found the correct place to post!

Anyone out there going down on 22nd? If so get in touch, we can have a chat and scare ourselves senseles at the daunting prospect of the interview!

Cheers.

Rj111
20th Nov 2006, 11:17
At phase 3 is it mainly the people from your phase 2 that passed the pilapt/math test? or are there new people too? :}

rusty_y2k2
20th Nov 2006, 12:58
The problem with moving this to the CTC forum as suggested in a couple of posts is that only people who have successfully passed selection can actually access that forum... so whilst it's fine for the "who is on CPXX" type threads, it is of no use to those undergoing selection.

Me, not long now!

Bigaircraft
20th Nov 2006, 14:11
At phase 3 is it mainly the people from your phase 2 that passed the pilapt/math test? or are there new people too? :}

It was a bit of a mix for me, recognised some people from phase 2 but there were a few new faces. Same with phase 4. :}

Bigaircraft
20th Nov 2006, 14:22

ME!!! I'll be heading down on the 29th, need to go see HSBC. Less than a week and a half! Can't wait to meet everyone! :ok:

Big A/C

Potential
20th Nov 2006, 17:53
I got an email today from CTC to say that my application has been accepted :) but I'm not allowed to progress to Stage 2 until May because I'm at uni and don't graduate until June:*. So annoying, I wanted to go through with the selection process now and have a yes or a no from CTC before I graduated.

JayB
20th Nov 2006, 21:21
Hi everyone,
I'm in the same position as Potential in the sense that I am in my final year at uni and don't finish untill June 2007, and I have passed the 1st application stage and am awaiting an invite for the assessment day. In an ideal world it would be nice to have a place sorted out now, so at least we have an idea of where we will be once we graduate.
In terms of the assessment day, I have read about the various Pilapt tests that they put you through, however I'm not too clued up as to the sort of interview questions that they are likely to ask:
- Is it competency based such as Leadership, teamwork...etc?
- Or do they ask scenario type questions ie the 'What do you do if you spot a bottle of Vodka next to the Cpt?'

I'm also a tad worried at the fact that I haven't had any flying experience, and although there is a University Air Squadron at my Uni, I was not part of it as it appeared from discussions with members of the squadron that it groomed future pilots for the RAF, rather than the airline industry.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

BobbyK
21st Nov 2006, 16:34
Anyone got Phase 4 on the 30th November?

JayB I suggest if youre looking for information on the CTC application process you try the CTC Wings Thread (the Pt2 has links straight to the useful info). As for no flying experience, it wont stop you being selected but at the same time they will question you on it and want to hear clearly why you want to be a pilot without having ever taken a lesson. The same goes for not joining the UAS - my reason was when I joined uni I hadnt made the decision to be a pilot and I filled my time with other committments such as sport and music. So long as you fully understand your reasons and are 100% committed those two things shouldnt stop you progressing

NOL
23rd Nov 2006, 07:17
Hello folks,

Im doing the AQC on December 11th and I would like to say hi to anybody else going there.

Im also looking for someone to share a ride with.

Im arriving in LHR from Denmark and heading to CTC from there.

If anyone is going from the London area to CTC on the 10th I would like to share a ride and the expenses.

best regards,
Nicholas

Captain_Hook
5th Dec 2006, 16:28
Anyone stage 4 this thursday?

Sky Wave
5th Dec 2006, 18:04
just wondering if anyone else is on the EZY 737 course starting 8th Jan. I think I'm the only ATP person but are there any Cadets on the course?

SW

Rj111
7th Dec 2006, 16:45
Ohh boy what a day.

Spent all day refreshing my e-mail to see my Phase III results. We all shared E-mails and people told me of their successes and resit opportunities between 12-1. I knew my results must be coming along soon. 2 went by, 3 ,4. I e-mailed Daphne at 4:30 enquiring and no reply. I just rang CTC but they didn't know and asked me to ring Daphne - no answer. Then i thought i could look on at my account, seems i am unsuccessful which i can take and is no suprise but a real cruel way to find out. :bored:

On the day possible the lack of interview experience, too much knowledge on the industry but too little on the flying aspects let me down. Also no hours and no effort made to attempt to fly.

Think i'll be going down the modular route now.

Edit: Ohh it's in the Junk mail folder and that's confirmed. Bloody frustrating how you don't get feedback.

TheSquire
8th Dec 2006, 14:24
Any other ATP'ers provisionally on the March 07 AQC?

his3dmw
13th Dec 2006, 10:13
Anyone on CP45 heading to NZ on 10th Jan?

MaXXX
13th Dec 2006, 13:40
Any other ATP'ers provisionally on the March 07 AQC?

Should be on it if no change :O

BobbyK
13th Dec 2006, 15:47
Just heard I'm on CP46 flying out 7th Feb - anyone else? Ill be doing the long foundation course!

Rob

Dolley
30th Dec 2006, 16:11
This is probably a very daft question but what is that cp44, cp45, cp46 that gets mentioned so often?

Would be very greatful if somebody could enlighten me and makes me a smarter person :-) Thanks!

1CCCC
30th Dec 2006, 16:26
I think CPXX e.g. (CP46) is just a number for the group of cadets i.e. the next group will be CP47

Thats just a guess though!

MonarchA330
30th Dec 2006, 17:48
Ah, another dirty 28er rears their head. CPL done thanks. AQC time :)

rusty_y2k2
1st Jan 2007, 23:36
I think CPXX e.g. (CP46) is just a number for the group of cadets i.e. the next group will be CP47

Thats just a guess though!

yes, it's simply a course designation that progresses sequentially.

busz
2nd Jan 2007, 00:08
CP19, the best Cp there ever was or will be!

'Nuf said.

Dolley
2nd Jan 2007, 13:09
Thanks guys!

I think the thing that scares me most about becoming a pilot are all those briefiations you've got to know/learn....sigh!

Well, I guess I cross that bridge when I get there :-)

Dolley
3rd Jan 2007, 11:36
Thanks....it's not my native language after all.

Why doesn't pprune have a spell checker???
(I mean besides you londonmet) ;-)

squawkident.
6th Jan 2007, 23:26
yes, it's simply a course designation that progresses sequentially.

Well said Rusty.

JulietEchoZulu-Mondo
7th Jan 2007, 00:44
Im also on CP44. You'll never guess who though

pre3mhjt
7th Jan 2007, 09:32
I think I could probably have wild stab in the dark.....Watford....CP44, I reckon you have no hair and are partial to a bit of D&B, Am I close? I believe you are also offering a very useful drop off/collect service to and from some of the finer drinking establishments in "The Tron" (much appreciated)

Jenny149
7th Jan 2007, 14:19
Hey was wondering how people got on at the stage 3 selection day at dibden on the 20th december?

JulietEchoZulu-Mondo
8th Jan 2007, 02:43
Pre3mht??This is gonna be a hard 1 to decipher. From ur tone of message, i reckon uve got a east london accent going on there. Prob live near a coast and also have short hair.

Using my further intuition, i reckon u support a quality football team and is up for a kick about here and then???

Mooneyboy
15th Jan 2007, 21:09
On all the selection stages everyone was wearing a suit. I think its the safest bet.

MB

CptFuture
21st Jan 2007, 14:07
Hi folks,

Anyone down for Stage 3 on 31 January fancy a mini meet 'n greet? Don't be shy! :p

Cpt

apocraphe
24th Jan 2007, 09:29
Anyone in on phase 2 for the 9.30 sitting on Friday? If so see you there - I'll be the tall guy with the shaved head, goatee and trilby!

PPL152
24th Jan 2007, 09:44
how many phase 2's and phase 3's are there per month?

will be intersted in such statistics

femaleWannabe
26th Jan 2007, 11:40
how many phase 2's and phase 3's are there per month?

will be intersted in such statistics

When I booked phase 2 it looked like there was one per week... not sure how many people per phase... I'd guess between 10 and 20, so they could be getting through 40-80 per month....

rusty_y2k2
28th Jan 2007, 06:34
When I booked phase 2 it looked like there was one per week... not sure how many people per phase... I'd guess between 10 and 20, so they could be getting through 40-80 per month....

My memory is a little hazey, but I think you are correct that one phase II is conducted per week. I also seem to recall there being up to 20 or so people there at the phase II... Just as an aside - my phase III had 8 people and my phase IV had myself and one other, although I believe that usually there are up to about 4.

Caracul
29th Jan 2007, 20:58
CP19, the best Cp there ever was or will be!
'Nuf said.

Back in your hole alex! ;) Hows Manc treating you?

busz
1st Feb 2007, 10:42
Back in your hole alex! ;) Hows Manc treating you?

Come on James, u know we were the best CP. Everyone has heard the legend of the CP19 Massif. Our website was/is a thing of beauty too!

Alex

pmrsmiffy
2nd Feb 2007, 19:26
Hi all.

I just booked my Phase 2 for the 9th of March. Anyone else going then?

I know it's a while away but I feel I need time to brush up on interview skills and the like. Also need to allow time to book accomodation, flights down from Glasgow, get time off etc.

aircockroaches
5th Feb 2007, 19:49
pmrsmiffy

check your PM's

pmrsmiffy
5th Feb 2007, 20:04
Ah ****e. I meant to say March. Sorry for the confusion.

When abouts in March are you going? I just booked my flights down from glasgow and i'll be staying at Stour Villa.

aircockroaches
6th Feb 2007, 14:26
Seems that not much ppruners are being selected by CTC at the moment!

pmrsmiffy
6th Feb 2007, 15:30
Yeh, I hear January/Febraury is a quiet time of year for most things. Bit rubbish because I would have liked to have met someone that is going on the same day as me.

Air Kojak
7th Feb 2007, 21:46
hey y'all

IS ANYONE HEADING TO NZ ON MARCH 7TH 2007???

This is my first official post but have used this site for some decent tips about getting to the stage I'm at now.

I passed phase 4 recently and have been allocated a place on CP47, I think?? Due to fly out to NZ on March 7th, 4 weeks today and counting.

If any one wants to introduce themselves prior to Meet & Greet I'd be glad to hear from you.

oates76
8th Feb 2007, 04:33
Smiffy, I just booked in for Mar 9th as well, 1300. Are you am or pm? I'll be coming over from Canada.

-Oates

pmrsmiffy
8th Feb 2007, 07:30
oates76,

Hey. I'm affraid i'm going at 9.30. I didn't know there was 2 sessions in one day. Didn't see the later one. I'll be flying back up to Glasgow at 3.30.

Where abouts are you staying?

PPL152
8th Feb 2007, 08:49
Air Kojak Well done for getting through.
Do you know how many people there are in your CP?

Fly Navy, Sail Army
8th Feb 2007, 10:53
You guessed it, time for another mindless meet n' greet request! Anyone on phase 3 at Bournemouth on the 13th of Feb fancies a free pint, PM me.

FNSA

PPL152
9th Feb 2007, 13:15
Hard luck Airgus. Didn't they offer you to re-take phase 3?

FNSA let us know how it goes and good luck.

femaleWannabe
9th Feb 2007, 14:12
Anyone got stage 2 on the 2nd of March?!

Linzi
9th Feb 2007, 16:02
Airgus and Pilot Chris, PMs await you...:)

Adrioun
11th Feb 2007, 10:42
Hi guys

Good luck to all of you passing the CTC selection !

I was wondering if any of you guys is taking Phase 3 on the 28th of Feb ?
I'll be staying at the Dale Farm house B&B, I was there for my first Phase 3 and it's nice. I hope we could meet up on the 27th in the evening to get to know each other maybe. I know there are always people staying there as it is close to Dibden Manor, so just PM me so we meet up.

Cheers guys :ok:

davedek
13th Feb 2007, 18:20
Femalewannabe - I'll be attending stage 2 on the 2nd of March too!

I am in the morning session, you?

apocraphe
14th Feb 2007, 13:34
All the excellent people I met at Stage 3 please let me know when you know your results - I'm delighted (and somewhat amazed!) to say I got through and will be doing my stage 4 a week tomorrow - really, really hoping I see some (and hopefully all!) of you there!

capt.
14th Feb 2007, 16:48
Im attending phase 2 on march the 2nd in the morning,

Wish you all the best of luck xx

MaXXX
15th Feb 2007, 14:30
Anyone starting AQC on March 12 ?

d02473
15th Feb 2007, 16:12
Hi all

Seems to be a few people on here who have been to phase three. Iv been through the threads and there are bits of info on Phase three about the interview, but hardly nothing on the activities in the morning.

Is anyone willing to share what the morning activities are all about. Any extra interview advice is also welcome.

Many Thanks, good luck all

Tom

Fly Navy, Sail Army
15th Feb 2007, 16:26
Apocraphe,

No prizes for working out who I am, but to let you know I passed as well. Phase 4 on the 22nd, short finals for New Zealand woohoo!

Anyone else? - FNSA

kbt
15th Feb 2007, 16:41
Hi Maxxx
I am also on the march 12 AQC..
KBT

apocraphe
17th Feb 2007, 09:14
Congrats to you mate! I had a good feeling you were going to get through! Anyone else off the course that you know about managed it?

oates76
22nd Feb 2007, 17:55
Anyone else in Phase 2 on the 9th of March, or Phase 3 or 4 on the 14th and 15th?

PM me if you'd like to meet up before things get going.

Oates

Kerropi
22nd Feb 2007, 18:25
Anyone on the AQC course (not yet confirmed) of April or May?

ali84
24th Feb 2007, 11:27
Hey every1
just booked my phase 2 for 5th March, I will be arriving in Bournemouth on the 4th, since its a 12hour coach ride from Newcastle. Just wondering if any1 else is gonna be there,and if so wanna catch up. Now i gotta book me hotel...dnt kno which 1 to stay at :confused:

ali84
24th Feb 2007, 22:37
Yea 12Hrs, gonna get there for 2pm, so i will be checkin into a hotel...assesment not till day after at 1pm.I would drive...but i think i would be more knackered than the coach ride. There aint no flight frm ncl to bournemouth, hence only other option is coach or train, but with train i gotta stay in lndn for 10hrs:rolleyes:

SA242
25th Feb 2007, 08:16
Hi everyone,

Will be down in Bournemouth for stage 2 on the 16th of March. Any others out there coming down at the same time?

Rgds

SA242

Diabhal
25th Feb 2007, 23:48
Hey guys

I'll be flying over from Belfast on the 22th for the morning session on the 23rd. Anyone else going to be there that day, and any tips on which is the best hotel to book?

Andy

pmrsmiffy
26th Feb 2007, 08:35
It seems i'm out of luck. Everyone is going for Phase 2 on the week before or after me.:bored:

Anybody at all going for the morning session on the 9th? I'll be staying at Stour Villa and would like to meet up with anybody the night before if it's possible.

P

DannyT
26th Feb 2007, 13:43
pmrsmiffy,

booked on the 9th march mornin session 2 pal, travellin from sunny Leeds. Goin down on the 8th but in the travel lodge in bournemouth, saved myself alot, £34 for both nites:D ! just got the 20min drive there on fri mornin!

babolat
26th Feb 2007, 13:56
A lot of 18 year olds seem to be on their way to CTC....

Good luck!

pmrsmiffy
26th Feb 2007, 14:43
DannyT,

That's cool! I'm flying down from Glasgow on the 8th and i'll be gettin a taxi from Phase 2 to the airprot to head back up straight after. Stour villa cost me 28 quid for the night which ain't too bad. I've heard good things about it and the couple are supposed to be quite nice.

I'll see you there then I guess. :D

P

oates76
27th Feb 2007, 06:13
Alright, now we're getting somewhere with the Mar 9th crew. I'll be staying at Druid House. Coming down from London by train on the 8th, should be arriving in Bournemouth around 1630. Lets maybe try to get together for dinner or something if we are all staying close.

Oates

DannyT
27th Feb 2007, 08:53
Dunno wot time im guna get ther on 8th guys, settin off thurs dinner time so depends on traffic(one hell of a long drive!lol)!!! Sounds gud tho to meet up wi sum of u! will hav 2 get bk 2 u on times tho!!

pmrsmiffy
27th Feb 2007, 08:58
Oates,

I just checked exactly where Stour Villa and Druid house are on google maps. Looks like we'll be just along the road from eachother! From what I can see though, the travel lodge that DannyT is staying at is a wee bit further from us. But we could always get a taxi and meet half way.

DannyT,

Are you staying at the Lodge on Christchurch Road?

DannyT
27th Feb 2007, 09:01
Yeah stayin in Christchurch Rd, Dnt worry bout the distance m8 it wnt take 2mins 4 me2 drive it! save u sum money in taxis!! u gt anywher in mind wer we cn all meet up then pal?

pmrsmiffy
27th Feb 2007, 09:36
Not at the moment. The people at Stour Villa will probably know some good places and there might be a couple more Phase 2 guys staying there too that could tag along. If you and Oates PM me your numbers then we could get in contact nearer the time.

P.

ali84
27th Feb 2007, 12:58
Hey Every1, Just bookd meself into heathland hotel for the 4th, got me phase 2 on the 5th. By the looks of things, no1 else is gonna be there....however, if there is let me kno we could catch up, since im gonna get there for 2pm and wont have anythin to do.

Cheers

Ali

tommyketch
27th Feb 2007, 15:36
My advice about S2, and any stage for that matter, is to arrive the evening before and stay in a B&B near the test location.

Do not get out of the car and straight into the test. You are seriously lowering your chances of success.

flying pikey
28th Feb 2007, 16:13
Hiya,

I had a phonecall this morning from CTC wondering if I could make it this Friday 2nd March instead of a later date that I had arranged. Feel free to get in touch with me as I will be heading down there on Friday.

MajorYaw
1st Mar 2007, 22:28
Hi all,

I am due to attend my Stage 3 on Monday, 5th March. Any one else going down that day?

PM me if you are.

Cheers,

Mj Yaw.

harri1888
2nd Mar 2007, 07:02
hey babolat, whats bad about lots of 18 year olds applying? i applied to ctc 9 days after i turned 18 and im almost at the end of my single engine phase now.

if anything i think we should encourage more people to join at an early age instead of wasting years in some job they dont actually care about

not meaning to come across as totallty arrogant haha, just highlighting that the young guys are just as capable of getting in ;)

pmrsmiffy
2nd Mar 2007, 08:04
I hope your right. I've noticed a few 18 yr olds that have gotten through and it gives me hope. :)

pcoltas
2nd Mar 2007, 12:00
Anyone else got their stage 3 on tues 13th march?

capt.
4th Mar 2007, 14:54
Just saying hi and well done to all the people i met on the morning session!

It would be really good to have a chat with you if you could pm me :)

capt x

Fat A1bert
10th Mar 2007, 16:58
A question for the guys already in NZ...

I'll be joining you shortly, and have been thinking about buying myself a new laptop as my PC is ready for retirement. I have heard CTC might provide laptops - is there any truth in this?

If so..great! Whats the deal - are you better off getting your own if you want to put your own stuff on it and keep it for longer than the course?

Cheers,
FA

THRILLSEEKER
10th Mar 2007, 19:53
CTC no longer supply laptops to cadets, I would therefore suggest that you definitely bring your own / buy yourself a new one.

Life out here without a laptop would be murder (in my opinion), its the way to keep in contact with peeps back in the UK.

:ok:

Fat A1bert
10th Mar 2007, 20:38
Hi Thrillseeker,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Cheers
FA

alexjolly
10th Mar 2007, 20:48
Hey all....

N e one got stage 4 on 29th march???

Alex.

THRILLSEEKER
11th Mar 2007, 18:52
FA

No worries, anytime

Thrillseeker :p

screaminlemmin
12th Mar 2007, 15:37
Hi all,

Had my sim assessment today, and have passed the selection process. :) Im starting to build up a few questions about the course that i couldnt find answers to on the forum. i was wondering if there are any cadets/past cadets who wouldnt mind me PMing them with a few qus?

Cheers,
Richard

bjkeates
12th Mar 2007, 16:31
Fire away...

oates76
12th Mar 2007, 16:32
Anyone got their phase 3 this wednesday (Mar, 14th), or possibly phase 4 on Thurs (the 15th)? If so, pm and maybe we can split a cab up to Nursling after Wednesdays session is over with. Thanks

pmrsmiffy
13th Mar 2007, 08:55
Has anyone got their Phase 3 assessment on the 27th of March? Drop me a PM if you do so we can maybe meet up.

screaminlemmin
13th Mar 2007, 17:13
Hey all,

As things stand i'll be flying out on the 4th april. If NZ is suppost to have a similar climate to the UK, then are there many flying days to be had during their winter, or am i worrying about nothing? Cheers, Rich

MajorYaw
13th Mar 2007, 17:19
If you read bjkeates' blog, you'll see that they have crappy summers too, so God knows what winter could be like! Make sure you've got some money for a snowboard and a copy of FS for your laptop! :)

screaminlemmin
13th Mar 2007, 17:25
Good point, ill have to buy a joystick then! Looks like ill have to take the full loan out to pay for rainy day entertainment.

ziyad13
13th Mar 2007, 19:34
Anyone got their phase 3 on 28th march?

screaminlemmin
13th Mar 2007, 20:32
I'll have to buy a copy of FS then. Will help with IR at least. Else, there is allways matamata :)

pcoltas
14th Mar 2007, 11:39
Just got a call from ctc, I passed stage 3 yesterday :) Anyone else on here that attended yesteday? (13/03)

anyone else got stage 4 on 26th april? I cant wait!

:)

pmrsmiffy
15th Mar 2007, 14:44
I've got my Phase 3 on the 27th. Does anyone want to meet up on the night of the 26th or 27th?

pmrsmiffy
23rd Mar 2007, 12:20
*bump*

Sorry for the inconvenience. Just wanted to bring the thread to peoples attention again.

Anybody got through selection? I'm getting pretty nervous about the interview for Phase 3. I'm imagining myself going blank and not being able to say anything. :uhoh:

SA242
23rd Mar 2007, 12:26
Dont worry about phase 3. Its a great day and the ctc people are really nice. Just make sure your industry knowledge is well up to scratch and that you know all details of CTC as a company as well as all their partner airline details like fleets etc.

I passed phase 4 yesterday so its off to NZ soon. Prob CP48...anybody else on there?

Got lots to do before then though - The paperwork is rediculous!

pmrsmiffy
23rd Mar 2007, 15:04
Congratulations!

Heh, it's funny. Alot of people seem to be like "Yeh, I'm going to NZ....no biggie" I suppose the forum doesn't really convey peoples real excitement. But I would be literally shouting from the rooftops if I passed phase 4. Even with the knowledge that I'll be in big debt for the next decade.

Have you done your medical yet?

SA242
23rd Mar 2007, 15:11
Haha - Im rediculously excited.....can't WAIT for NZ! Have a load to do though before I go. Medical on tuesday (fingers crossed!) and because I'm from South Africa the criminal records check is just a nightmare to sort out!

Good luck for your stg 3. You'll be fine. They really try to put you at ease.

MajorYaw
31st Mar 2007, 01:26
Blimey, I passed selection! Well done to all the guys I met at stage 4 on 29/03. Looks like we all made the grade! :) It's probably still not sunk in properly yet for me. Just waiting on some stuff back from the medical before I have a proper celebration. Fingers crossed it all works out. Until all the papers are signed and I've resigned, I am not believing I'm there yet.

For those lucky enough to meet them at stage 4, Chris Clarke and Steve Billet are diamond geezers. Funny, smiling and really good at putting you at your ease. Stage 4 was awesome. Talk about saving the best to last. That alone is worth the selection fee. The sims are just so immersive. FS2004? Pah! :) The only thing that's missing is a Gran Turismo style replay of my landing!

And the CAA medical staff are really nice too. They know all too well what that bit of paper means to the applicant. Well done to all those recently successful and best of luck to anyone going through the process, whatever stage you are at.

Fat A1bert
31st Mar 2007, 09:29
Congrats Major!

Nice post, when you heading over to NZ?

Cheers,
FA

screaminlemmin
31st Mar 2007, 12:00
Hey all, just wondering whos flying out to NZ this weds (4th apr) and whos on cp48?? Was thinking maybe we could check in online with singapore airlines so we are sitting near each other- Itll be a boring 28 hours otherwise!
Cheers,
Rich

MajorYaw
31st Mar 2007, 14:17
Cheers Albert. Hoping for May 30th departure but it's med and resignation dependent. I am not religious but I've recently started praying to whatever God will listen that Dr. CAA signs me off!

I know Alex is going on May 30. Anyone else?

SA242
31st Mar 2007, 17:36
Hi Screaminlemmin

Heres another CP48er! Yes was wondering about where they book us on the flight. Hopefully not next to any screaming children - 28hrs of that raket and I may be dead on arrival. I only recieve my tickets on monday since I was a last minute addition to the brigade...did you see how many other chaps are on our intake?

Cheers
SA242

screaminlemmin
2nd Apr 2007, 12:12
Im not sure how many, there were quite a few guys at the meet and greet from loads of different courses. Are u flying out from heathrow, or SA?

alexjolly
2nd Apr 2007, 15:21
Hey all,
anyone headed to this meet and greet on the 18th??
Alex.

SA242
2nd Apr 2007, 17:28
Yeah, Im out of Heathrow on Singapore. Staying in London at pres. Myself and another bloke are late additions for cp48. You also on Singapore? Maybe we should organise to meet up there before the flight?

Fat A1bert
2nd Apr 2007, 18:02
Hi Alex

See you there - what CP you on?

Cheers,
FA

screaminlemmin
2nd Apr 2007, 18:58
awesum, im assuing you're one of the guys whos just emailed me on ctctrainee? Organise it through there mate.

d02473
2nd Apr 2007, 19:31
HI all

CP49 er here.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has considered bank charges when withdrawing money from HSBC accounts while in NZ. Im gonna speak to the HSBC about it but was wondering if anyone has found away around this. Apparently HSBC charge £1.75 per cash point/ debit transaction according to my local branch, not hythe.

Tom:ok:

screaminlemmin
2nd Apr 2007, 19:33
Am indeed ribena, and looking forward to it! chat to u l8a on ctctrainee, rich

d02473
2nd Apr 2007, 19:34
Yeah im at the 18th Meet and greet. Email me through ctc mail, thomas.beale

Tom

alexjolly
2nd Apr 2007, 19:34
Not sure yet FA,
Its looking like 30th May, although there is a chance it could be 1st. Daphne will tell me as soon as shes got the class 1 thats being sent in the post tomoz...
looking forward to the meet and greet, will be a chance to get some feedback finally!

ribena
2nd Apr 2007, 19:35
Tom,

I opened up a nationwide account as they apparently don’t charge commission or withdraws oversees. I’m then going to transfer my living expenses loan out each month.

Ribena

screaminlemmin
2nd Apr 2007, 19:36
If u are on graduate plus account with hsbc, theres no charge according to hythe
if they charge 1.50, then maybe set up and ANZ account in NZ and transfer your money to that account?

alexjolly
2nd Apr 2007, 19:41
Hey FA,
I'm not sure yet... posting the class 1 to daphne tomoz so i will find out asap... ive told her its gonna be the 1st or 31st May so whichever Cp they are!.. either way i'l join you for a beerski at dibden and hamilton! :ok:

akindofmagic
2nd Apr 2007, 19:51
I know that at least one guy in NZ started transferring his money for living expenses from HSBC to Nationwide every month. HSBC sent him a letter informing him he was in breach of the terms and conditions of his loan. Perhaps something to bear in mind.

ribena
2nd Apr 2007, 19:51
True, if you set up a graduate plus account or any plus account you get free withdraws but you do pay £9 a month (I think) for the privilege. So over the year that we are out there we are going to pay about £110.

MajorYaw
2nd Apr 2007, 20:05
Another thought re cash - if you get a nationwide credit card, you don't pay commission on foreign purchases.

Either make a single cash withdrawal once a month from HSBC to minimise charges, and put suitable spending on the credit card. Then, make a single UK BACS payment from the HSBC account to your nationwide credit card via switch or whatever.

Obviously, you'd have to have discipline and budget carefully. And, I haven't read loan T&C's, so just thinking out loud here...

d02473
3rd Apr 2007, 16:25
Thanks for all that guys

Ill add anything i find out

Tom

PAJ
4th Apr 2007, 08:45
Hey guys and gals

Anyone heading over to Bournemouth for stage 3 on 11th April? I know one of the guys I did stage 2 with is on the same one. I'm staying at a B&B the night before as the A34 is a bloody nightmare in the mornings! If anyone is going to be there, let us know.

Cheers

PAJ

capt.
4th Apr 2007, 19:24
hey anyone got their phase 3 on the 18th april?

xx

Diabhal
4th Apr 2007, 20:21
PAJ, if you were one of the guys there on the 23rd March, good luck! Only one of the Northern Irish guys will be joining you though (at most, I don't know what Mr Marshall is up to, I'm afraid) - my stage three/four has been pushed back to June as I can't head out to NZ until August at the earliest due to my degree.

Andy

DXman
8th Apr 2007, 22:54
Hi guys,

Here is the website address of CP43 of CTC wings!

http://www.ctcflyers.com

Cheers

RC203
9th Apr 2007, 09:27
Anyone on stage 4 on the 12th april? Rob

THRILLSEEKER
9th Apr 2007, 17:41
HSBC do not have the right to tell you how or where you transfer your money too, I have had the same conversation with Lynda about being in breach of contract. The contract says that the HSBC account must be your main account, it is, I just choose to transfer a portion of my MY MONEY to another account each month (3/4 of the amount) at the start of the month.

That way I still use my HSBC account at the start of the month, paying 1.75 per transaction, then once the money have been transferred (3 working days) I use my Nationwide account for the rest of the month paying no transaction fees. Also the Nationwide card is a Visa debit card therefore allowing you to use it in bars/shops etc whereas the HSBC card is a Maestro card which means you can only use at an ATM.

It’s easy to set up a Nationwide account and with internet banking it only takes a minute (girl) to transfer money.

Hope that clears a few things up

Thrillseeker :ok:

THRILLSEEKER
9th Apr 2007, 17:45
CP 44's

www.spacecowboys.co.uk (http://www.spacecowboys.co.uk)

:p

Streety
9th Apr 2007, 21:47
But most importantly... CP41's

http://www.cp41.net (http://www.cp41.net/)

:E

PAJ
11th Apr 2007, 07:05
Hi to anyone who was at stage 3 yesterday (10th) - Firstly a confession - I have somehow managed to lose my pad of paper somewhere between my bedroom and my computer which had your email addresses on - sure I'll find it in a weeks time or something but that should hopefully explain why you have had no contact details through! You were a great bunch of guys and as they said, there are places for everyone if we are the right people so here's to us all getting a place! No word yet obviously - will post when I know - anyone who reads this do the same. All the best!
Paul

Edit: Just got the good news. Stage 4 is far too soon - tomorrow! I reckon I might just crash that lovely 737 sim!

pcoltas
11th Apr 2007, 13:38
well done mate, my stage 4 is 2 weeks 2moro, i was given 6 weeks notice after stage 3! guess it all depends on when you can start, i dont graduate till july so earliest date i can start is august

all the best for it, let us know how you get on!

paul

k8tyl123
12th Apr 2007, 11:37
You are the reason why its bad 18 year olds are gettin let in Mr!! ;) heehee
can't wait to have u back tho!!

PAJ
13th Apr 2007, 07:55
I am absolutely delighted to be able to be one of the fortunate few who gets to post saying they have been successful at stage 4!! Had my 737-300 session yesterday with capt Nick Pennington - top guy and got the call 20 mins later. I am apparently joining those on CP49, departing 2nd May! No time to prepare. Say hi if you're a 49er as the shellshock is still glazing over everything else.

Paul

Sepi
16th Apr 2007, 17:47
Paj, congrats...hoping Ill be posting the same words within the next 10 days!!! Was the day as good as they make out or pretty gruelling??

Pcoltas, ill be meeting you on the 26th Im guessing! 3 of us so far from what I understand. Time is going so damn slow just waiting to get in the sim...

stefan

PAJ
16th Apr 2007, 18:59
Thanks very much - has just about sunk in now but is being overshadowed by how much I have to sort out before I go!!

Stage 4 is awesome - I've always wanted to fly the 737 so if I get the Airbus at the end (not an issue in the slightest though I might add!) at least I can say I've tried one! Best thing to do is try to enjoy it and really be yourself. Try to act professionally - try to imitate the kind of conversation you might expect to be making when you are flying for real. I have over 60hrs SEP time so that made things easier in terms of knowing what everyhing did, and my coordination skills were perhaps slightly more honed but this is designed for complete beginners. I think they expect more from you the more experience you have. To give you an idea, I felt that if I were to deviate from my altitude by more than 100ft without making note of it and then correcting it, that would have been an issue. Also, tiny changes in pitch are how you make the thinig fly precisely - rather than using the Artificial Horizon as the central point of your intrument scan, use the VSI as this will give you the quickest indication if you are deviating. Very heavy in the steep turns - prepare for that. Also its IFR conditions so be aware. No maths questions for me - we just spoke about general handline charateristics of the 73 while doing a climbing turn - say standby if you need to concentrate before replying. Great fun though - just don't let the pressure get to you. Hope it goes well for you.

NT42
21st Apr 2007, 17:04
Hello all!

If anybody is on (or provisionally on) CP50 give me a bell either on here or "john.foreman@the new e-mail addresses we have.

Would be good to hear from any of you.

I passed Phase 4 the other day - very very demanding, but seriously good fun! Got the call when I was in the airport waiting to fly home - scary stuff.

Due to fly out to NZ on the 30th, pending all sorts of wonderful things.

Anyway anybody on CP50, let me know - would be good to talk.

PAJ - sorry I didn't ring you. Was incredibly busy and didn't get a chance - cheers for the support though!

Captain Spam Can
23rd Apr 2007, 17:02
Im flying out to NZ on Weds and in the process of packing and i have a couple of Q'S:

Do you have to take Knives and forks, Plates and Cups out with you or are they provided...otherwise ive got a day to get them.!!!

Can you take your laptop and Flight case on board the flight as 2 seperate items, or can you only take 1 item of hand luggage?

Help:confused:

Thanks

SA242
23rd Apr 2007, 19:44
No all plates, knives and forks are provided. You'll either be in Peachgrove or another new place that will be holding cadets until clearways becomes available. All the other places you are housed in outside clearways have facilities and cutlery etc. On the flight take one piece of handluggage only! I arrived with an slr camera and loenses only to find I had to squash the whole lot along with laptop into my flight case.....! See you in a few days. Enjoy the flight!

bjkeates
23rd Apr 2007, 19:57
Also, it might be useful to note that the luggage allowance is 30kg. If you're slightly over you shouldn't have too much of a problem on the way out, but be warned that they've attempted to charge people on the return leg at Auckland. One recently went home 2kg over the 30kg limit and they attempted to charge him $150 - which amounts to slightly over 25 quid a kilo. Yes, it's expensive! So just something to bear in mind when you're packing.

Captain Spam Can
24th Apr 2007, 00:48
Thanks v. much for the quick reply, ive almost finised packing now just got to put the uniform in....See everyone out there!!!

oates76
24th Apr 2007, 22:41
Hey, just a quick shout to see if anyone is on CP51 in July? I'm heading over from Canada, and looking to get in touch with my fellow course mates. Feel free to PM. Thanks, and see you in NZ!

MajorYaw
25th Apr 2007, 13:36
JayB,

Competency questions are as you describe.

CTC could ask you lots of other questions. There's a lot of information about all of this in the old and current CTC Cadet thread. If you want in, read from start to finish, bookmarking the valuable pages. You won't go wrong, and it'll save you posting questions already posed. Sure, there's loads of pages, but that's better than few. Everything anyone needs is already on the glorious Pprune.

In a nutshell, if you are prepared for any graduate recruitment level assessment process, you will be prepared for CTC, provided that you are suitably genned up on aviation to a level appropriate to your flight experience i.e. no flight experience = reading industry publications, maybe some trial flights, maybe talking to pilots, know CTC and stuff about its partner airlines, typical pilot routine blah blah blah; some flight experience = expect some more technical questions appropriate to your level (from what I gather on here and having talked to people in selection).

Why not apply for some other grad jobs to brush up in preparation?

If time is on your side i.e. you're not old, my advice would be don't rush it. Get a plan together to maximise your success at the first go. You can fail at any time, and the maths test is the only thing you can try again. Some people get told they can re-apply for stage 3 in 6 months time due to some experiential shortcoming, but if you use your time wisely before you apply there's no reason why you can't get through without any of that. And stage 4 is still a pass/fail, even if the odds are in your favour. Plus, if you can demonstrate long term focus, that's another string to your bowand answering questions like "so what have you done to pursue your dream?", willl be a piece of cake.

Best of luck.

leigh_logan
1st May 2007, 11:03
Hello,

I passed my stage 2 on 30th may;) , and doing my stage 3 on the 15th may, is there anyone else doing stage 3 on this date?

Hope to hear from someone,:ok:

Regards Lee

pcoltas
4th May 2007, 11:39
Hi all, passed stage 4 last week so am joining CP52 flying out on 8th August.

Anyone else on CP52?

:)

Flik Roll
8th May 2007, 07:44
Anyone off to Phase 2 on June 29th? (It's a Friday)

lewni
16th May 2007, 21:02
Has anybody heard how they got on at the stage 3 interviews on 15th May??

flightless_bird
18th May 2007, 16:15
Ah, the stage 3 interview...

lewni
18th May 2007, 17:56
Congratulations to you. No need to congratulate me. I was just asking if anybody had heard back. They forgot to send my email and I found out I was unsuccessful by ringing them up today.

I do not think I had enough background knowledge in the interview. They also questioned my commitment as I had little experience of flying before. It is annoying as I have read in a lot of places that having little flying experience can be a good thing as you will not have picked up bad habits.

I will endeavour to apply elsewhere but CTC certainly seems to offer the best course.

Well done.

Nick

flightless_bird
19th May 2007, 01:03
I can definitely recommend reading Flight International. I read that for over a month before my interview and it meant I could talk about B747s doing glide approaches into Auckland to save fuel, Virgin Fuels testing alternative fuels on a jet engine, inefficient air traffic controllers in Europe meaning that planes fly 50 km further than they need to, and Airbus shifting all their engineers from the freighter version of the A380 to work on the passenger version to help alleviate the delays they are experiencing.

While they do say that no flying is required I certainly know that one of the things that held me back from starting the process of becoming a commercial pilot was whether I would be any good at it and whether I would enjoy it. Getting my PPL was far and away the best way for me to reassure myself that I was doing the right thing and that this was definitely what I wanted to do.

Just food for thought.

pcoltas
21st May 2007, 20:31
congrats fb, you on cp52 then? drop me a message if you are, we're trying to work out who there is, we got 3 of us so far!

Captain Myers
24th May 2007, 11:20
Hi there,

I'm Sarah, heading out in July also. Did we do the flight simulator on the same day? I remember there being a guy from Canada there - end of last year, can't remember exactly when. Anyway, I've had to delay going out to NZ this long in order to finish off my degree at university. Not long to go now!

reggy_uk
24th May 2007, 22:06
Hey guys and girls!

Congratulations Sarah, FB and Pcoltas! Passed my phase 4 today so looks like I will be seeing you out in NZ! Think I'm provisionaly going out on CP54 at beginning of October. Anyone else here on CP54?

Also FB have you found out if it's ok to fly out a bit earlier than your set date? I have family in Aus so would be good to have a couple of weeks before I start to hop over there!

Cheers

flightless_bird
24th May 2007, 22:22
Flying out early does not seem to be a problem. If it costs more than the flight that CTC would have provided for you then you just pay the difference. The important thing is to let them know as soon as possible if you want to do this as otherwise they may have already booked your tickets.

On a related matter, if you fly via the US then you are allowed a luggage allowance of 46 kilos as opposed to the 20 kg you get via Asia (increased by CTC's negotiation to 30 kg so good on them for that). Might be worth putting in a request to fly that way. (Again you pay the extra if it costs more although when I looked the cheapest tickets were actually via the US.) Also, I know that if you fly Air NZ you only need to travel via the US on one leg of your journey to get the extra allowance, i.e., you can go via the US and return via Asia, or the other way round.

MajorYaw
25th May 2007, 12:03
Well done mentioning the flight and baggage options if you fly in different directions.

Sadly, CTC don't bother to explain all this and my flight was booked before I knew it was happening, so for my first trip out I am restricted. Oh well, I'll just have to leave my underpants at home and go commando in NZ for six months. I just hope I don't have an accident while I'm out there. Oh, the shame.

RC203
27th May 2007, 14:03
Reggy UK, You at Southampton Uni? I'm heading out the course before you... Rob

reggy_uk
27th May 2007, 21:39
Hey guys thanks for the info on flights, baggage etc. Something I'll definately be looking into carefully! Could do with that extra 16kg though :}

RC - I'm at Cardiff Uni but live in Southampton! Congrats on getting through! Getting pretty excited already!

Captain Myers
4th Jun 2007, 14:56
Hi everyone,

Would really appreciate a quick a reply on this one if possible please!

I'm currently sorting out my Visa. My sponsorship letter says I'm to apply for a multiple entry 12 month visa.

Can anyone tell me who has obtained one of these recently in the UK how quickly they were able to process the application?

I'm planning on going down to the embassy in London myself with the forms etc. Is all I need to bring my NZIS 1017 form, passport, passport photo & sponsorship letter from CTC?

Do I need to book an interview or do I just turn up? The website provides limited information and as I understand it, we are applying for a unique visa, so I'd really like to double check this with someone who's already been through the whole process.

Cheers for your help,

Sarah

bjkeates
4th Jun 2007, 21:10
I just did mine by post. I can't remember how long it took exactly, but it was a matter of days (maybe a week and a bit) rather than months. Obviously the NZ embassy have seen all this many times before due to the number of cadets CTC send out, so if you follow to the letter all the instructions CTC have given you, you won't go far wrong. If you're going down there in person, I would suggest ringing them beforehand. PM me if you need any more help.

RC203
6th Jun 2007, 09:43
Sarah,

I did mine the other week by post and it was back within the same week. However I'm sure if you just rock up at the embassy with everything they've asked for with the postal application form filled out etc they'll be fine with it. Unless you're in a super-rush though post should be fine. Seeya there!

Cheers, Rob

reggy_uk
11th Jun 2007, 16:38
Hey guys anyone on CP53 get involved with the facebook group for some pre NZ banter! :):)

http://cardiffuk.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2471336598

Barcelona cadet
13th Jun 2007, 09:50
does anyone know about a good value place to stay close to Bournemouth airport?

greywind
13th Jun 2007, 12:11
CTC have a list of B&B's if you ask them.
I've stayed at the Grosvenor Lodge B&B a few times and has always been very nice.
Theres also a travel lodge or holiday Inn (I forget which) in Christchurch which isn't far

bjkeates
14th Jun 2007, 02:47
Stour Villa is pretty good - awesome breakfast! But there's a whole host of B&Bs on the same road (Stour Road) in Christchurch - Google is your friend! If you haven't got transport it's a short walk from the rail station and an £11ish taxi ride to the airport in the morning. (You'll probably find someone there willing to give you a lift back to the station at the end of the day!)

General Zod
20th Jun 2007, 19:56
I've got stage 2 on Tue July 2nd - any one around the night before fancy a meet up??

GZ

asif
26th Jun 2007, 10:36
Hey,

I've got Stage 2 on the 2nd July too. Probably going to stay at the Grosvenor Lodge Guest House.

If anyone's planning to do the same, maybe we could meet up for a couple of drinks the night before / arrange to share the taxi on the morning of the assessment?

amp22
14th Sep 2007, 11:39
Hi, is anyone going to the pm phase 2 on October 2nd?

moojuice
17th Sep 2007, 14:46
Hi amp22, yes I'm on that date so i'll see you there.

Anyone else?
Alex.

Barcelona cadet
19th Sep 2007, 16:40
I'm going to stage 4 in some weeks and I was wondering if any of you knew which sims they have at nursling. I know they are 737 and 320 but dunno which series. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

EZYramper
19th Sep 2007, 16:51
I don't think you'll be on the full motion sims, if they are free though you never know?!

I did my stage 4 on the 737-300 fixed base sim.

RS999
20th Sep 2007, 11:13
CP57 Facebook.........http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19259150680

Started off by Kierenmp (but he's travelling the world just now):ok:

Polorutz
20th Sep 2007, 19:14
I did my phase 4 in one of the full motion sims, the base was not activated to move though so it was basically acting as a fixed base sim.

pilot_to_be
20th Sep 2007, 22:56
anybody got stage 3 on the 26 of september

Niagra1
24th Sep 2007, 09:31
Morning all, gone a bit dead on this post, anyone have any idea of the following?

1 - What is the meet and greet all about? (yes yes clearly to say hi to all your new school chums....) anything else involved? (i understand you go down for the day, and then there is an evening shin dig with guests invited?)

2 - What is the first week out in NZ like? (again I am presuming it is pretty relaxed affair, getting to know the airfield, settling in, SOP's etc etc?)

3 - Is there anything anyone would really recomend taking to NZ? (travel adaptors, clothes etc etc......)

Any info from anyone already out there that they think us that are a little "wet" behind the ears would need to know.....

Cheers

Niagra (CP55)

PAJ
24th Sep 2007, 11:09
The meet and greet is a really good day actually - you get to meet your coursemates and sit down with some of CTC and have a day of power point presentations about CTC, the training, some of the housekeeping bit and pieces and then we spent the afternoon looking at some human factors and CRM based stuff looking at the 'GRADE' model CTC expect cadets to apply in emergencies (will make more sense on the day) and also how humans learn and how you should prepare yourselves. Also looked at some air distasters to set the mood!!
The first week is not really a chill out week!! You have the Friday, Saturday and Sunday to get over the jetlag, but will be expected to be in for 08:30 monday morning for a 2 day induction (full days with lots of info!), then on the wednesday, you will most likely start studying for your first exam, FRTO. You will most likey get that following weekend off before starting the next subject on Monday (Air Law if I remember correctly). At the moment, the newbies are doing the bulk of their lectures at 06:15 which is always fun! May well change, but the last 3 CPs have had the early morning lectures.
Although the weather at the minute is pretty damn awful at the moment, (just look at the synoptics online to see what I mean!!), we are approaching summer and the weather should be pretty similar to UK summer (not the most recent one I should probably add!). Most things are readily available out here so don't weigh your luggage down with loads of toiletries etc. Buy it all here and use the weight to bring a PS3 or something! Sure most are aware but a laptop is a pretty important piece of kit as the ATPLs are monitored online plus the daily schedule is released online each evening. Adaptors all easy enough to get out here.

Niagra1
24th Sep 2007, 12:31
Thanks PAJ,

Ok out of the frying pan and into the fire! Can't complain, and i suppose it is good to go over there prepared, rather than with the wool pulled over our eyes! (well mine anyways...)

I presume i read that right.... 6.15 lectures? in the morning? :mad:

hmmmmmm this kind of time is alien to me :eek: :}

Yeah i have seen the great weathr you are having at the moment, is there much of a backlog? (roughly how many hours a week are you flying?)

If it is not to much trouble, any chance you could give us a "day in the life of" scenario of a typical day?

I know ill find out for myself pretty soon, be nice to know is all.

Got myself a nice shiny new laptop, debating bringing the PS3 over... (I guess if my luggage limit allows.... ill try and sneak it in......)

Cheers

Niagra

EZYramper
24th Sep 2007, 16:15
Speaking as a baggage handler, I would HIGHLY recommend not putting a PS3 in your luggage!

R T Jones
24th Sep 2007, 16:41
Just agreeing with what EZYramper said I'm not sure how good an idea is to put anything like that in your checked in luggage. The reality is that even with a fragile sticker on its unlikely to be looked at twice...

PAJ
26th Sep 2007, 03:10
I was indeed joking about the PS3, but if you do succumb to a moment of inspiration as to how to get one over here safely without leaving all your other stuff at home, I'm sure lots of us will want to be your friend!! :}

In terms of the backlog of hours, it is clearing slowly - the recent weather has really made it diffuicult to catch up many hours but summer should make things move along much quicker. New Alpha meant to come on line in the next few days and another is probably only 2-3 weeks away so the aprons are pretty full.

A typical day in the life is pretty hard to describe as rarely is the schedule that similar from day to day! For you new lot, it will generally be a 3 hour PPL lecture which are at the moment being done at 06:15, and often, that's the day at the training centre done! You might some days have a mass brief on an air lesson or start your SEP type rating stuff after, but generally it's the lecture early on then you have the rest of the day to yourselves (although you will need to spend a few hours each day learning the stuff for the PPL exams). The flying programme is designed to start early on in your time here, but it is just not possible at the moment to get people flying in the first couple of weeks. Things will speed up as the days get longer and weather improves, but I think a safe bet would be that you are unlikely to fly until you have been in NZ for at least a month.

Once you start flying and start the ATPL course, a typical (but busy) day could be up at 04:45 to arrive at the airport for 05:45 to be ready to taxi out for your first flight at about 06:15. You will have to get the weather and do your preformace calcs as well as pre-flight the aircraft and brief the flight in that half an hour. You might be back on the ground by 08:00, have an hour to chill out and have a coffee and get de-briefed. Then you might have a 3 hour ATPL lecture at 09:00, before grabbing some lunch. You could be booked in for a second flight in the afternoon which could have you finishing up to 12 hours after you arrived at the airport that morning (although 12 hours is the absolute maximum duty period a cadet can do). Instersperse the odd day like this with days off where you just spend the day going through the ATPL manuals and maybe some exploring of NZ (although anyone hoping to catch the end of the ski season can pretty much kiss that goodbye after Mt Ruapehu erupted last night!!).

As you say, you will find it all out when you get here. Just take advantage of being in the UK as once you get here, you do miss the place a bit.

Niagra1
26th Sep 2007, 08:51
PAJ, excellent many thanks for taking the time to post that for us, gives us a great insight into a "day in the life" and also a new incentive to get my PS3 out there :E

Miss the Uk, hmm well i wont for the first few weeks anyway, miss all the bloody forms that i have had to fill in the last three weeks..... I have writers cramp from it!

Hmm looks like ill have to wait a while before i get to sample the snow then.... bugger :mad:

Again, cheers for the post, it certainly begins to open the eyes!

Can't wait.....

GorgeousGeorge
26th Sep 2007, 09:54
Thanks for the insight Paj just makes me want to be there now!

Are you taking ski gear with you Niagra?

R T Jones
26th Sep 2007, 12:25
And here I was thinking I would get away from getting up at 4.30am for a year or so! Can't say that fills my life with joy but at least it will be doing something I enjoy rather than throwing, i mean placing, bags in an aircrafts hold!

Niagra1
26th Sep 2007, 14:00
GG, i wont take it out in November, as it will be summer, but when we come back in June, and go back out, then ill take my Clothes goggles etc....

Not sure ill take my board though........ I know a ski instructor who works in Queenstown, so ill probably tap him up for a hire :E

Got to get me some boarding in, missing out on my annual trip in January!

Polorutz
26th Sep 2007, 21:54
Lads I am in desperate need of a Cadet who's not from the UK and that has already gone through the process of doing all the paperwork... the issue is this, am I supposed to send my Passport to the NZ embassy in London even though I live in Switzerland?? Should I then send it to the consulate here in Switzerland?? What if the people here in Switzerland are not familiar with the "special" situation of us Cadets??

What have you done?

RS999
26th Sep 2007, 22:18
Oh well.....at least :eek:0430:eek: starts will get us into the way of things for when we get all the s:mad:t shifts when we start with our airline lol:ugh:

Seniority will indeed have its advantages......one day:ok:

moojuice
4th Oct 2007, 10:01
Hi Folks,

Calling everyone who was on the pm phase 2 on the 2nd October!

Has everyone heard back their results? Amp22 - Have you heard? I'm fairly chuffed to report that I've made it through :) so it's time to stop worrying about that and concentrate on stage 3. They have offered me a phase 3 date of the 21st November which I should be able to make if I can secure the time off work. So thinking ahead...

Is there anyone who will be at phase 3 on 21st November?

I'm thinking of staying in one of the nearby hotels (no preferance at the mo) the night before. I'm only 1.5 hours away but I think I could do without rush hour travelling stress! It would be good to meet up with other candidates the night before for a chat over a beer (or half!) so if anyone wants to meet up reply back or send me a PM.

Hopefully see some of the guys I breifly met at phase 2 or anyone else on the 21st.

See you then!
Alex.

amp22
4th Oct 2007, 12:09
Hi Alex. Congratulations on your phase 2 success! I'm pleased to say that I also passed, although I have to redo the numeracy test, not sure what went wrong there. Anyway, my Phase 3 will be the week after yours on 28th November, so I'm going to be doing lots of brushing up before then! Good luck. Andy.

Exhibitz
4th Oct 2007, 12:10
Hi Guys,
Congratulations both of you!

Ye I was there on the 2nd (PM) Not sure if you were AM or PM so dunno if I saw you there or not. Got through though! Was reasonably suprised that I passed the maths, some of them I simply had to take an educated stab at the answer as the choices were so close together, estimation no longer worked!

They have given me a date for the 5th of December for Phase 3 I believe, which is rather a long way away! Although should give me time to recover from the excessive driving I did on Tuesday. I think this time I will do the 6 hour drive the night before! My brain was going into overdrive on the deviation test, had to take about a minutes break after each try!

Good Luck in your Phase 3 guys!
Joe

mallinderjb
4th Oct 2007, 12:50
Hi guys!

I'm on CP55 going out on the 7th November. I have been brought forward as I was initially due to go out on the 5th December.

I am in the process of sorting the insurance out. I was wondering who went through the one that CTC suggest and who (if any) have used a different company?

If you have which one and is it any cheaper?

Not trying to be a tight arse just shopping around?!

PS.

I have no access to facebook at the mo as can't view it at work and my laptop is being repaired so sorry to the guys in CP56 for not leaving the facebook group and sorry to the guys in CP55 that I have not said hello to as yet!

As soon as I can I will get on to facebook and introduce myself!

Also do we have a date for when we come down to Bournemouth to meet everyone yet?

Niagra1
4th Oct 2007, 13:14
Hey Mallinderjb, I am going out on CP55 in November, and coincidently only today sorted out my insurance (the money is leaving my account tomorow..... £1,104.32......nice) I went through the CTC people, and they were very helpfull! I did not look about to much, i asked my Financial advisor to look over them and he said all looked in order and was reasonable (i could have saved maybe a few quid by going to different companies, but this way i keep all my eggs in one basket....)

On a side note, i think (and i might be worng) you were on my stage 2..... (i dropped you at the taxi rank?) if not sorry, but hello, and get on the facebook page :E

looks like a good group we have going, looking forward to it!

The meet and greet is on the 1st November (my birthday, so bring cards and presents, or cake ;)) and sounds like a pretty good day!

Cheers

Niagra

mallinderjb
4th Oct 2007, 14:24
Hi Niagra,

Thanks for the reply.

No it wasn't me who you dropped at the taxi rank but I could have been on your stage 2 anyway.

Yeah I can't wait to get going.

Oh ok cool, I'll e-mail Daphne and ask for a few more details about the meet up day!

Hopefully I'll remeber to wish you happy birthday let alone remeber to bring cake etc.

moojuice
4th Oct 2007, 14:48
Hi Joe, Andy,

Congratulations to both of you and good luck for whatever is coming up. We were all in the afternoon one but there wasn't much chatting, just nervous staring at the floor! Yeah the numeracy test was a blur for me, I went the other way from estimation and ended up doing long multiplication on sums I could easily do in my head!? I finished the last question with 11 seconds left and no clue how it went. The last test was a nightmare too, I completely lost the countdown sequence for about half the test and had a bit of itchy trigger finger and picked up 8 misses :rolleyes:. Still, not worth worrying about now but I'd be interested in some actual feedback.

Onward to phase 3 - I'm surprised there is such a difference in our dates but I'm not sure quite what do read into that, if anything.

Anyway, if there's anyone reading who will be on the 21st November phase 3 give me a shout or PM.

Alex

R T Jones
4th Oct 2007, 15:01
Hello from me mallinderjb, I'm also on CP55 with you and Niagra1! Just added you on facebook as well! Looking forward to meeting you both on the 1st!

EZYramper
4th Oct 2007, 16:02
Yea james hurry up and get out of our facebook group...you are no longer welcome!! ;)

Exhibitz
4th Oct 2007, 16:03
Haha, the beginning of the last test, where you have the number count down on its own, I got so lost, I somehow managed to get the very first difference wrong and from there on, well lets say its "history" so I got 2 hits and 6 misses, towards the end I think I was just guessing! Luckily when it was all together I got 13-1 so managed to recover!

As for the dates, they do seem all very spread out, I guess they only have one day a week for Phase 3, and only 1 session per day, so probably just a case that the other dates filled up. Atleast it gives me some time to get my things together and properly prepare for the interview.
Joe.

mallinderjb
4th Oct 2007, 16:07
ha ha don't worry.

I will leave as soon as i can next get on facebook!!!!:)

GWidgery
6th Oct 2007, 00:11
Hi

I just passed Stage 3 last wednesday, got the final one next thursday... anyone else got that day as well?

Graham

chrisd7
6th Oct 2007, 07:25
Hi did anybody have there stage 4 on the 4th?

Polorutz
8th Oct 2007, 00:58
did u pass?

D1webby
8th Oct 2007, 09:48
I know its a while ago now but did anyone here have their stage 2 on the 25th September in the afternoon? Im just wondering how people got on?

Geetea
8th Oct 2007, 10:30
Are you referring to this coming thursday or a week on thursday,because i have it provisionally booked(obviously on passing stage 3 first) for a week on thursday

Barcelona cadet
11th Oct 2007, 16:19
Hello Everyone!

I'm very happy to say that I've passed stage 4 today!!!!:D

So see you all there in.... February or March (they didn't tell me).

P.S. Did the other person that was there with me today passed??? Hope you did!

GWidgery
11th Oct 2007, 18:11
Barcelona cadet:

It was me there along with you today! Happy to say I'm through as well. :) I've been offered a place on CP56 starting in December, so I guess I'll see you at Hamilton!

Barcelona cadet
15th Oct 2007, 08:48
That's great news !!
They told me that they didn't know yet when I will go they mentioned December , February and March , so I have no idea what is going on there I'll call Daphne.

Did they tell you a defined decemebr then?

RS999
15th Oct 2007, 10:24
Well done Barcelona Cadet!!

See you in February or March:ok:

Geetea
15th Oct 2007, 10:41
Got my Stage 3 and provisional Stage 4 this week, anyone else got it and staying in Christchurch/Southampton?

Graham

GWidgery
16th Oct 2007, 17:05
Barcelona Cadet

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to hear that it was so soon! They've sent out all the documentation (a lot of it!), all set for CP56 in December.

I'll look forward to seeing you out there! Let me know what course you're on when you find out.

Graham

chrisd7
21st Oct 2007, 11:20
Hi just wondering if anybody out in New Zealand could let me know if anybody out there has got a xbox360 or a PS3 and if they have what screen do they play it on?

bjkeates
21st Oct 2007, 11:34
People do take them out there; every bedroom has a 14" TV, I think most people just use them.

chrisd7
21st Oct 2007, 12:02
thats brilliant mate thanks, wasnt sure if every room had a tv screen in it!!!!

Geetea
21st Oct 2007, 12:58
Im tempted to bring mine but those xb360's are quite heavy!! plus does the place have Wi Fi or an ethernet port in the room?

bjkeates
21st Oct 2007, 22:49
Depends where you are. Clearways is ethernet, Knox Street is wireless - not sure about Peachgrove because it hadn't been installed when I left, but if it has been by now then it will almost certainly be wireless.

orp131
31st Oct 2007, 14:33
Hi guys,

I have my phase 3 on the 14th November and was wondering if people could fill me in on what to expect and what revision people did to prepare??

Hoping there's some guys going to New Zealand that play footy as well, playing spot can get repetative after a while

Andrew

chrisd7
31st Oct 2007, 14:41
Yeah i play footie and im going out in December!! Is there anybody out there already that plays?

mallinderjb
31st Oct 2007, 16:52
I'm going out a week today and I play footie, dunno whether to take my boots or not though?

AdamLT
31st Oct 2007, 17:03
anyone on phase 3 on december 12th?

THRILLSEEKER
31st Oct 2007, 19:26
Yeah bring your boots over... there are usualy a fair few of us that have a kick about.

The footy season starts in Feb and you will need boots/shin pads if you want to play in that. CTC had a footy team this year but most of the guys will have left by Feb.

:cool:

Geetea
1st Nov 2007, 12:09
Glad to hear theres some folk who still play the beautiful game over in Rugby land. Dont get me wrong,i love rugby...but footballs better(For the skinnier variety like myself;)) Just broke the news to my amateur team that this will be my last season for them so is this league the ctc compete in around hamilton or the whole north island?

Graham

THRILLSEEKER
1st Nov 2007, 20:08
Its the Waikato Sunday League... all around Hamilton.

The football standard out here in NZ is not all that hot to be honest. We romped a 5-a-side comp at the start of the season without conceding a goal!

The league we should have won, first few games we averaged a 7 -0 win but lack of players for other games and sometimes miss management (getting the wrong KO times) meant we finished 3rd or 4th overall. Oh yeah and the fact that 90% of the time most the team had been out on a Sat night didnt really help either!

The Saturday league is better standard and if you can get enough players I'd enter that... its better playing a better standard IMHO.

moojuice
15th Nov 2007, 13:52
Hi Folks,

I've already mentioned this once so apologies to anyone it doesn't concern. However, is anyone going to the phase 3 on the 21st November? If so, give me a shout, I'll probably by staying locally the night before if anyone fancies meeting up for a chat.

Cheers,
Alex.

EI350
13th Jan 2008, 08:53
Hi lads and ladies,
I'm just finishing my school year and will be 18 in June. I've read all these threads on the CTC cadet programme and was just wondering if you can apply before getting your A-Level results and maybe give the mock results or something and then forward on the A-Level results at a later date. I would really like to apply early summer, and not have to wait until the end of August!

Many thanks for your help,
EI350

Exhibitz
13th Jan 2008, 09:13
I don't think so, In order to pass Phase 1 you must have the required A levels - they're pretty strict on these kind of things. Wouldn't worry though, I did the same last year, got my results and applied in September, and im due to fly out to NZ in May so it's a pretty fast turn around to be honest!

EI350
14th Jan 2008, 16:20
Thanks alot Exhibitz, good to know some of those who leave school and apply at this age get through!

PPL152
14th Jan 2008, 19:04
Any guide to where I can stay during the selection processes at bournemouth? preferably with wireless internet or close by (to check results).

thanks

Exhibitz
14th Jan 2008, 19:59
I stayed at the Travel Inn (West) in Christchurch, about a 10 minute drive from CTC training centre. Not sure about internet access but they phone you with the result sooner than they update on the website.

sleithykeithy
17th Jan 2008, 11:56
Hi all 1st post on here!

Anyone going to stage 2 on the 29th Jan?

Simon

poss
20th Jan 2008, 11:25
Yes Simon, there are a couple of us going that I know of.

cm042083
22nd Jan 2008, 16:31
Hey everyone my name is Craig I will be attending Phase 2 on the 29th, quite nervous though. Look forward to meeting you all.Craig

adc3891
28th Jan 2008, 20:54
Are any of the guys from the Stage 3 on the 24th Jan on here?

Some of you mentioned this site so was wondering how you all got on?

PM me if you prefer.

GWidgery
30th Jan 2008, 09:51
I'll second what Exhibitz said. Unfortunately CTC need actual grades, not just predictions for the initial application. I was in the same boat, applied very soon after getting my results and heard back from them within a week.

poss
30th Jan 2008, 10:42
Passed phase 2 yesterday, going for phase 3 on wed 20th feb. Anyone else from the 29th jan - 1300 group made phase 3?

johnnyDB
30th Jan 2008, 13:32
Am I right in seeing people from the UK going for selection in New Zeeland, or did I read that wrong? what could be the reason for that?
Anyhow, I'm phase two 19th feb AM

Bigaircraft
30th Jan 2008, 21:38
Hey guys,

random question: What sort of financial assistance do CTC iCP cadets get. do you get a loan? secured or unsecured? same as the "sponsored" cadets?

grateful for any response! :}

cheers guys

Exhibitz
31st Jan 2008, 09:42
The iCP route is funded by yourself, you get no finicial assisstance on the course.

Tamesy1
31st Jan 2008, 16:59
Hi guys,

Just finished selection (today!) and am off to NZ in August! :)
Anyone else CP64??
Cheers T1

Tamesy1
31st Jan 2008, 17:21
Yeah thats me!
he's a good friend of my brother, cheers mate!
T1

poss
31st Jan 2008, 20:18
Yes, Congrats! Roll on stage 3 eh Dave :}

poss
31st Jan 2008, 21:03
If you check ctc thread 2 the exercises can be found there.
The group exercises aren't meant to be solved but rather test your ability to work well within a team.