View Full Version : 737-300 range?

Daysleeper
17th Nov 2006, 08:29
Anyone want to comment on the full pax range of the 737-300? Would Glasgow/Edinburgh to the Canary Islands be reasonable or is it pushing it?

BOAC
17th Nov 2006, 09:10
I don't have the figures to hand but I would say that unless the headwinds are particularly strong or the alternate is unusually far away (eg Africa) it would be fine. Hopefully someone from Globespan or BMI will help here?

fireflybob
17th Nov 2006, 09:46
While since I flew the -300 but I would have thought so. I was with Orion when we the launch customer for the B737-300 and we used to regularly go to the Canaries from UK and we only had 20 k engines!

As an aside, before that we operated the B737-200 Glasgow/Tenerife. It was always great fun stretching the range with a full load! One of the tricks on talking to Madrid approaching Santiago was to ask for direct Lands End. As it was the middle of the night this was invariably approved. On handover to London ATC often said "I suppose you want to go direct Glasgow!" and a straight line from Lands End to GOW takes you over Strumble and the IOM. As the military were not playing at 0300 we could fly this route - all done with no area nav or FMC !! A straight in on RW 05 at GOW with PIK as the alternate sowed it all up quite nicely. Happy Days!

Daysleeper
17th Nov 2006, 09:56
Cheers chaps, as a 757 driver I'm never very clear when friends/family ask "complicated" questions about other types on the basis that "he'll know he's a pilot" or more like a pilok. Always good to be able to get the answers quickly on pprune.

BOAC
17th Nov 2006, 11:03
I would, however, advise waiting for a current operator to let you know to be safe?:)

panda-k-bear
17th Nov 2006, 12:04
I've done a quick "back of fag packet" calculation - using a 2 class 733 you would expect about 2000nm range (perhaps a tiny shade over). If you apply 85th percentile winds (I've done a 3% airways allowance) you'd make it with max pax - just - from EDI to TFS. If you were high density, no. It's right on the edge but just about feasible.

So, like most things, it depends!

BOAC
17th Nov 2006, 12:24
Used to fly TXL - Canaries in 300's. Tech stops very rare.

Denti
19th Nov 2006, 14:05
Used to fly TXL - Canaries in 300's. Tech stops very rare.

Was that with the original Air Berlin (US company)? Just out of interest as it might happen that we start stuff like that again, well, dba not AB but they bought us after all.

BOAC
19th Nov 2006, 14:25
No - DanAir, pre AB, 200s and 300s. Occasional 'skiny' moments with 'jhow-goze-it' charts:)