PDA

View Full Version : GPS remote antenna

modelman
16th Nov 2006, 19:20
I am thinking of getting the above for my GPSmap 195 but all the ones I can find seem to have an integral mounting magnet ( not much use for alooominum).I am concerned that it may affect the compass even if I get it far away.Anyone know of one with rubber suckers?

MM

eharding
16th Nov 2006, 19:46
You can generally remove the magnet by levering it out from the base with a screwdriver, then over the base with velcro or some other fixing material.

IO540
16th Nov 2006, 20:09
Ebay is the place for oddball bits of portable mobile nav / comm stuff like this. I have always bought GPS receivers (bluetooth or wired) on Ebay, as well as anything to do with PDAs

Mark 1
16th Nov 2006, 20:20
The remote aerials that come with the 196 and 296 have rubber suckers, but , be warned, they tend not to work when the air temperature drops to freezing.

I get best results mounting the GA54(?) aerial externally on the fuselage.

Henry Hallam
17th Nov 2006, 00:47
I've had very good results with the "active" (i.e. with built-in preamp) antennae from www.gps-antenna.co.uk (http://www.gps-antenna.co.uk) and can confirm that the magnets are easy to remove (peel off the heavy-duty sticker on the back, pop them out, sticker back on)

Zulu Alpha
17th Nov 2006, 09:57
There is some excellent heavy duty velcro available. Works better than Magnets and o course works well on aluminium. I find it helps to use velcro on the cable as well.

Lots of GPS aerials on ebay, just do a search.