PDA

View Full Version : "Old" CAA Publications

Not_a_boffin
16th Nov 2006, 14:49
Am trying to track down some old CAA technical publications, principally concerned with hovercraft design and stability. They are :

CAA paper 75017 - Report of the ARB Special Committee on Hovercraft Stability & Control
CAA paper 97008 - Amphibious Hovercraft Skirt Stability
CAA Technical note 92001 : Means of Compliance with British Hovercraft Safety Requirements - Stability of Sidewall Craft in the "on -cushion" mode.

To date, national archives, British Library and the Hovercraft Museum at Lee-on-Solent have drawn blanks. Anyone out there have access to these pubs or give a steer to likely sources?

All suggestions/steers gratefully received.

BDiONU
16th Nov 2006, 14:59
To date, national archives, British Library and the Hovercraft Museum at Lee-on-Solent have drawn blanks. Anyone out there have access to these pubs or give a steer to likely sources?
Remember that google is your friend. The first one brings up 83 hits.

BD

Not_a_boffin
16th Nov 2006, 15:22
Gary Google is more than a mate - he's a valued drinking partner and was approached first. However, all the valid hits are actually references to the documents in question. It's the actual document I need to lay hands on....

Not_a_boffin
17th Nov 2006, 18:25
RAes drew a blank, but will try Gatwick. Many thanks.

Not_a_boffin
23rd Nov 2006, 09:57
Gatwick drew a blank as well. Many of the older pubs were "lost in transfer" when the library stood up.

Anybody got any other steers?

Alex Whittingham
23rd Nov 2006, 16:19
Is there a technical library at ETPS?

Fred Elliot
23rd Nov 2006, 17:13
Certainly in the 70's and early 80's the Royal Navy was a World leader in hovercraft research (hence, of course, the Lee-on-the-Solent thing). Have you tried the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton?

Not_a_boffin
23rd Nov 2006, 17:51
Yeah - afraid so, but thanks for the tip. I've tried all the obvious places (even had a rummage round the museum and boxes at Daedalus). Just hoping that someone might have an old copy or know of a less obvious stash....

Fred Elliot
23rd Nov 2006, 18:01
I hope this doesn't contravene prune's rules but here's the best I can think of: a former Squadron-mate, who left the FAA in about 1989, I guess, was one Lieutenant R I S D Smith ('Bob'), erstwhile Wessex and SeaKing driver. He spent some time at Deadloss as a hovercraft pilot on the Trials Unit.

When last I heard, a very long time ago (!), he was working for Pilkington's Glass in North Wales, around Bethesda, I think.

I know it's a very long shot but if you're really desperate ..............

Good luck.

Not_a_boffin
23rd Nov 2006, 18:49
Gents

VMT

will try them tomorrow.