PDA

View Full Version : Airspace Upgrades Today/Tomorrow?

timelapse
16th Nov 2006, 14:17
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knew why there are so many airspace upgrades notified for today and tomorrow. All across the country there are about 17 upgrades today to class A, and tomorrow my local airfield (Cranfield) is getting a 10nm radius class A CTR for an hour as well as various temporary airways springing up for hour-long periods. I've never seen cranfield get a class A upgrade before so does anyone know why?

Cranfield doesn't have radar - isn't having class A airpsace controlled by a non-radar ATSU is a bit strange?

Cheers
Tony

AlanM
16th Nov 2006, 14:26
Just CAS-T at Cranfield mate. (Royal Flight)

chevvron
16th Nov 2006, 14:42
Timelapse - well done for NOTAM plotting!
Each fixed wing Royal Flight warrants class 'A' CAS -T at both departure an arrival airfields unless they already have class A; additionally there are usually class 'A' temporary airways established to feed these airfields if they do not have connectivity with the airways system.
Having radar is not a pre-requisite for being allocated CAS-T; pilots are supposed to scan NOTAMs (as you have obviously done) to enable them to take appropriate action if their intended flight might take them close to the CAS-T.

timelapse
16th Nov 2006, 18:49
Yeah I've just got back from there, royal helicopter departing tomorrow apparently.

Whats the T on the end of CAS-T? Temporary?

Yeah I was just scanning the NOTAMs and saw it - apparently theyre still letting SVFR people in/out while it's there so probably won't be as interesting as I thought originally

Is there some sort of Royal tour going on or something? Just seemed like an awful lot of upgrades the next couple of days. Today especially, there's about 4 different CTR->Class A upgrades.. Liverpool, Glasgow, Farnborough to name 3..