PDA

View Full Version : Help for a mere PPL

maxdrypower
14th Nov 2006, 09:54
Guys different instructors give different advice I was wondering what your views were . I operate out of Barton and regularly traverse the Low level Corridor . I normally talk to liverpool and let them know im there and get a FIS . NOw in my opinion this is good as any other aircraft there will have an incling your about somewhere even though there is a lot of non radio traffic in that area and liverpool if not too busy may well give you quite a good fis . Do you guys as ATCO's want us to talk to you or would you rather us not , or do you not really care either way

ATCO1979
14th Nov 2006, 10:25
Best to speak to us. Manchester are often too busy to take your details on 135.0.
If we (Liverpool) are on 27 we will be descending traffic on base leg down to 2000ft while you may be as high as 1250ft in the LLC, therefore only 750ft separation. Not to mention that subject traffic we will also pass traffic information on other a/c in the LLC.

viva77
14th Nov 2006, 15:44
You may find this information useful -
"Manchester is now trialing a new idea - a listening out squawk for pilots flying within 5 miles of the Manchester CTR boundary (outside it, of course!) and also monitoring Manchester Approach 135.0 Mhz just as a "listening watch" - without actually talking to Manchester - you are asked to Squawk 7366 (Charlie if possible) to show you are listening in. You are not in receipt of any formal service, you cannot cross into controlled airspace, but of course you can be 'addressed' if there is any reason to do so as ATC know which frequency you are listening out on! Remember to squawk 7000 (Charlie if possible) as you move further away from the boundary, or if you switch to a different frequency. "
source http://www.flyontrack.co.uk/

NorthSouth
14th Nov 2006, 16:24
I have never, until now, heard anyone advocate speaking to Liverpool when using the LLR. It seems to me that since this is a narrow corridor both vertically and horizontally, everyone ought to be speaking to the same unit. If you go to:
www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=64&pagetype=90&pageid=1709
you'll see the advice is to speak to Manchester - or to listen out on their frequency. It is after all their airspace, not Liverpool's.
But I don't buy the 'listen out' advice. If everyone did that, no-one would get any information on the other traffic would they? No use.
I'm a strong advocate of calling Manchester and asking for a FIS. It can be a busy frequency but just make your call nice and concise: "Manchester Approach G-ABCD at Wigan southbound for the low level route request Flight Information Service". There are some cracking controllers at Manchester who will happily give you radar-derived traffic info as you track down the corridor while they vector airliners here there and everywhere. A joy to talk to. Don't worry about overloading them - if they're too busy to give traffic info they won't, if they do give you tfc info just enjoy the bonus and remember to give them a nice thank you when you leave the frequency.
NS

maxdrypower
14th Nov 2006, 17:54
Cheers guys thanks for taking the time to reply