PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Distance Learning with NAC in Florida

Lonedog
14th Nov 2006, 06:44
Hello

I'm looking at starting the process to convert my Canadian ATPL to a JAA ATPL. I've read a lot of the threads on this site and think I understand what the deal is.

A few questions are:
1)Does anyone know about the Naples Air Center distance learning course? It seems to make more sense than flying all the way to the UK to write the exams. I'm just wondering about the quality of their materials and the state of the operation. I am a little concerned that their website is incomplete and doesn't seem to have been updated since 2005.

2)I currently have 3000 hours PIC on two crew King Airs. Is their any way to avoid all the flight training costs for IR and such - say if a company was willing to allow me to do a ride in their Beech 350 as part of their employment agreement?

I am interested in working for Netjets Europe in the future for the on/off schedule, nice equipment and variety of flying and places to live. Is this the best corporate gig over there?

Thanks for any insight

LD

french_fry
7th Dec 2006, 21:29
Sorry i have no insight on the process for conversion in the USA, i have a friend who did it, and for whom it went well, it does take time, and of course, money.. yet a lot less than you would spend in the UK.

Second thing though, do you have an EU passport? if not, forget about working in europe, take your experience to the middle east, asia or South Africa for good shift work, especially with your flight time (IE king air, very sought out right now in Africa).

The King Air 200 is not a transport category aircraft, so you need to do all your ground school plus IFR flight test plus ATPL / IFR written exams. check out the UK CAA web site they have all the info.

Try Netjets Middle east, rather than europe, you are going to save at least a good year for the conversions. same aircrafts, same pay, if not better.

cheers

MuddyBoots
8th Dec 2006, 08:49
I used NAC two years ago. Any info given is based on you having a right to live and work in the EU/UK, ie citizenship or other means, otherwise save your cash.

I used NAC because of cost and the convenience of writing in Orlando. That said I would reccommend using the Oxford ATPL course books, or Bristol GS, for the study notes. It costs extra, quite a bit actually, but they produce better notes, and test prep than NAC did, unless they have vastly improved and editted they're course books. The staff were however pleasant to deal with, and knowledgeable. I'd call a couple UK schools to see if you can use them to write in Orlando. Atlantic rings a bell, and the Delta Academy in Sanford also. Doesn't hurt to ask. With Airfare, Hotel, books, fees, and the medical it came out pretty close to $7.5K CDN to convert. That said I was already type rated, and the UK company supplied sim for license ride.

You will learn all sorts of theoretical nonsense that you almost never use day to day, and is definatley not dealt with on any Canadian ATPL exams you have written. It is a mind bending exercise. A bit of ritualistic abuse, a hazing if you will into the wild and wacky world of European Aviation. That said it beats dealing with the low pay of Canadian aviation at current, even with European costs of living.

Things to note...
1) If you decide to do this...get a flight to LGW book yourself a medical first. It will cost you 250 GBP, based on already holding an ICAO class 1 medical. The initial must be done at the CAA Aeromedical Centre at LGW.

Details http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=68&groupid=211

2) Most info you need is in the LASORS handbook

Details
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=175&pagetype=68

PM me if you need more details.

Its wet and my boots are muddy.