PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable charge for flight sim

flystrathclyde
12th Nov 2006, 19:50
We have recently purchased a flight simulator (not approved) for use at our club in Scotland (we are guarenteed lots of unflyable days up here!).

It was not possible (or economicable) to get a CAA approved one but we have a reasonable setup which should be of use to our students and pilots.

My reason for the post is to get an idea of what would be a reasonable charge (we need to recover some of the outlay) for use of the sim, and also a reasonable rate for instructors.

The main points are:-
1 It is NOT CAA (and therefore not logable towards PPL or IMC course) approved although it is FAA approved and is of a reasonable standard with full instrument kit, instructor console and outside projector.
2 The instructors are still providing actual instruction although.

Any feedback (+ve and -ve) would be greatly appreciated.

I will also post on the GA forum for opinions but am keen to get an honest view from instructors!

Whopity
12th Nov 2006, 22:01
It could be loggable for up to 2 hours of IMC as the JAA rules do not apply!

xrayalpha
15th Nov 2006, 12:55
Hi,

The microlight school at popham has a very good flight sim.

They find, though, that the customers prefer to fly the real thing - or not "fly" at all.

One useful trick is to get students to do their cross-countries on the sim first - using photo-real software add-ons.

Another they do is package 10 hours of flight time with two hours of sim time in one discount deal.

As for charges, an instructor is an instructor and worth paying as such - be it in the air or on the ground. The idea of "flight pay" as some compensation for "risk", I presume, seems outdated to me.

Not being military, we also don't need to acknowledge the maintenance of certain skill levels.

Which school is it for?

Very best wishes,

Colin

flystrathclyde
16th Nov 2006, 07:51
Thanks for the input.

Colin, we are a club/RTF based at Cumbernauld Aitport near Glasgow. WE have a unique structure to try and develop as a good facility no t just for students and members but also instructors and aircraft owners.

I have posted this thread in the 'private flying' to try and get a fair result.

We want to keep and maintain the sim, but also have aspirations of eventually getting it approved by CAA (Already FAA approved!).

The instructor rate makes little difference to the club as the majority is passed to the instructor anyway - the only aspect of the instructor rate is reflected by the percieved value of someone who is paying for it - THE STUDENT.

I would rather get the decission right and agreed with the instructors than marketing a tool that people then think the instructors are 'milking'! We have a very open atmosphere at our place and infairness to the instructors I do not want them being shown in a bad light - we have an excellent team which uniquely has been with us from DAY ONE !(+ quite a few additions).