PDA

View Full Version : DA 42....Old school or new school?

avi8tora
12th Nov 2006, 14:44
I was a former IP in the Air Force. Currently as a FI teaching ME/Ir in Diamond 42 Twinstar in SE Asia. Observed that this aircraft is a new breed than the normal seneca,baron,cessna etc. It is more towards Airline style although it is rated a single pilot operations. My school now are still following the typical rusted ME/IR syllabus whereas i think that by the standard nowadays we, as a pilot and instructors, must open our mind and start to amend or change the syllabus and teaching technique more towards present surroundings and aircrafts. I mean...with DA 42 as your ME/Ir conversion aircraft, we should make full use of the systems and intergrate a new style and technique in achieving the course objective. I hope some of FI that are using DA 42 in the school right now can share with me their opinion or maybe,best still, if can shed a bit about the technique and syllabus you are using right now....Thank You.
DIAMOND ARE FOREVER:D

FlyingForFun
13th Nov 2006, 18:43
I think it's important to realise the privileges which go with an IR.

A newly-qualified instrument-rated aircraft can go and get a job flying just about any knackered old piece of kit which doesn't have the same modern equipment as the DA42. Therefore, it's vital, IMHO, that "the typical rusted ME/IR syllabus" is still taught.

On the other hand, as you rightly point out, modern aircraft are very different to aircraft of 30 years ago. As these modern aircraft become more and more common, and older aircraft are gradually phased out, the syllabus will gradually change to reflect this. It won't happen overnight, it will be a gradual step-by-step process.

This process is already underway. The CAA now allow the use of GPS on initial IR tests at the examiner's discretion, and use of GPS will typically be allowed when there is no conventional navaid which will enable you to navigate a leg accurately - the type of leg which, traditionally, would have been done by ded-reckoning, and checking the navaids only when the waypoint is approaching. At the school where I teach, we are gradually starting to teach students more and more use of the GPS (all our aircraft are fitted with a Garmin 430).

Likewise, I gather that the use of autopilot is now allowed on initial IRs. However, the CAA expect a much higher level of plog-keeping if the IR is used than if it is not - and it is only allowed during the en-route phase of flight.

I don't think it will be too long before we start seeing the type of syllabus you describe. The MPL might even speed this up, since a pilot graduating from this course will not be able to jump into "any knackered old piece of kit". But the time is not here just yet.

FFF
---------------