PDA

View Full Version : Separation above class G.

magpienja
12th Nov 2006, 09:34
Hi guys I am a nppl m, suppose I am flying in class G under the base of CAS which is 3500ft, what would be the lowest alt you would have traffic at in that section of CAS.

Nick.

chevvron
12th Nov 2006, 10:56
Complying with Rule 5, there could be traffic at any altitude below 3500ft; if it's just IFR traffic, then any altitude which provides terrain clearance of at least 1000ft.
SORRY - mis read your question; lowest traffic inside the cas should be 500ft or more above the base.

2 sheds
12th Nov 2006, 12:48
For IFR traffic, yes. However, if it is CAS that permits VFR flight, could be near or at the base level.

magpienja
13th Nov 2006, 20:40
Thanks guys.

Nick.

mdcsplatter
13th Nov 2006, 23:42
Although caution. If working IFR traffic we would normally not descend below 500ft above base of CAS, however it is not unheard of to give a pilot on a visual approach not below a level which is the base. I don't do it personally but I know plenty of people who do. If I were you, I would check in with the controlling agency if planning on flying at the base of CAS. Lets face it, it is not in your interest or mine if you meet a B777 coming the other way!

2 sheds
15th Nov 2006, 21:08
"...however it is not unheard of to give a pilot on a visual approach not below a level which is the base. I don't do it personally but I know plenty of people who do".

Perhaps you should have a quiet word with those who do! There's not much point in specifying a "restriction" that causes the aircraft to scrape along the base level.