PDA

View Full Version : Loop

scubawasp
11th Nov 2006, 09:29
How are the flying schools finding LOOP? Our school has just pulled the plug as any known buisness from them has been nil.

xrayalpha
11th Nov 2006, 14:22
Personally, I think the chaps and chapesses at Loop have had a fine idea - and trying to bring people together to promote GA is a "good thing".

But I have not joined in.

Why. Money is one, the basic package they are keen on selling is 2k a year. That would advertise me around the UK - but I am in a geographically distinct are (central and west Scotland), so there is little competition. I would rather focus my marketing on those 2 million of the UK population that live within an hour of my field.

For two grand I get Yellow pages, targetted Google adwords and some local newspaper stuff at Christmas.

I also do my own PR, and must say that - as an ex-journalist - I find the outcomes (or the lack of them) fascinating considering the fortunes PR companies used to spend giving me the finest food and wine!

The other thing is that Loop just doesn't do it for me as a publication. For heavens sake, a year long series of articles about aerobatics (to be extended another year!) and loads about egg-whisks, just doesn't do it for me. If I can't be bothered with it, then who else will.

Finally, I think the best adverts are word of mouth. It has what has built my one man and his microlight school into a two man and an airfield (and looking for a third or fourth three-axis instructor at 30 quid an hour, more than anyone else I know pays) operation.

Very best to all on a wet and windy day,

Colin

scooter boy
11th Nov 2006, 19:34
Dear Colin,
Couldn't agree more.
National advertising is fine if you're within a stone's throw of London or any of the other big conurbations but regionally yellow pages/yell.com, internet and word of mouth or local press are far better.

Loop has good intentions but the content can sometimes be lacking.

A triumph of style over substance in its present form,

Dry and windy down here today,:p

SB

UAV689
11th Nov 2006, 23:05
I also was under the impression that loop automatically is sent to people with a PPL?? so if your school is making the majority of your income through ppl instruction your potenial customers will not even see your ad unless they get handed a freebee.

I still think that it is a refreshing read to the current magazines which are just getting a bit dull and repetative.

can't we have a 'top gear' style reporting in these publications ie funny?? I would'nt mind giving it a crack!! (would need a spell checker tho!! :ok: )