View Full Version : Whats the worst aircraft to load?

paul01942
10th Nov 2006, 15:25
What would you deem to be the worst aircraft to load? i myself work at MAN (EGCC) i find the Embraer 170, one of the worst i've ever encountered the hold is small and cramped, there are large metal grills over the smoke sensors that really hurt whenyou catch your head, there always seems to be a weight issue, the aircraft is apparently tail heavy so everything needs to go in the front nightmare, whats your thoughts? whats the worst you have loaded?:ugh:

Wycombe
10th Nov 2006, 16:34
The old BAC 1-11 rear hold was a bit of a pig - very cramped and getting the bags to stay on the slope at the back could be a pain. Very noisy too if the
APU was running.

Next biggest pain, widebodies when the "automatics" aren't working down below.

Happiness is the "vent" on the VC10 :ok:

146 nice and easy aswell due to low fuselage height - no conveyor needed.

paul01942
10th Nov 2006, 17:39
Yeah the BAC 1-11 was a pig to load i only ever did one, as they were a little before my time i'm afraid, have to disagree about the 146! thats a horrible A/C to load to! the floor is aweful to work on its cramped, and the half circle shape is horrible when you have freight boxes to load! another A/C that is in my bad list is the Jetstream 31, its hard to get all the bags into the little wardrobe at the back, then theres that little pod underneath, whts that all about????? you can get like 5 bags in it then its full! obviously when these aircraft were designed we were the last area's in mind as there not user friendly! anyone havae any others to add?:D

Grolsch30
10th Nov 2006, 20:21
For me it has to be the old soviet buit aircraft:

Tupolev 134 loading everything in the back, very small hold and if you did not pack properly the cases would fall on you due to the incline.

Tupolev 154 due to height restrictions you just could not move properly not like the 727 also the baggage came in all shapes and sizes and weights due to pax not being run of the mill tourist pax but ex pats from Russia flying into Germany or from Germany to Turkey and back total pain in the a***e!

Then there is the Ilushin 86 totlal naff loading system with very heavy alu contains sometimes it took 5 people to push the containers into position totalnightmare!

Used to work at Hannover Germany where sometimes it seemed like the total Russian fleet would just decend on us and all you would see is russian aircraft and one would think you were actually on a russian airfield, but thats going back a few years now. Happy days....:ok:

Flyboy543
10th Nov 2006, 21:04
Fokker 70 - back hold. Just try to climb in one, let alone fill it with bags! :uhoh:

paul01942
22nd Nov 2006, 05:09
I agree the Fokker is crap to load and the Russian aircraft are terrible to, the old L1011, was bad to load when the inhold system was U/S remember the old remote control box?:{

Grolsch30
22nd Nov 2006, 21:54
I agree the Fokker is crap to load and the Russian aircraft are terrible to, the old L1011, was bad to load when the inhold system was U/S remember the old remote control box?:{

Have you ever tried loading the L1011 with loose overweight turkish baggage and no containers whatsoever or the good old birgenair DC8/ and chartered 707, going back a few years now though, phew those were the days :) !

HZ123
25th Nov 2006, 18:20
Funny how the Brit builds figure. Concorde all holds c--p and the VC 10's not a great deal better. We tend to forget how far we have come, the turpo props are not ideal ATP and dash stuff.

Craggenmore
26th Nov 2006, 19:09
The PK 747's at Heathrow. Each bag at 34 kg's :(

aw8565
26th Nov 2006, 19:35
Servisair loading chaps at LGW will no longer accept bags weighing over 32kg (and quite right too).

There are notices at checkin and bags weighing more than 32kg must be split or the bags will not be accepted.

Don't quote me on it, and I don't know if this is Servisair worldwide or just at LGW but I believe this move was initiated through the union (T&G).

Absolutely no excuse for 32kg+ bags...

Craggenmore
26th Nov 2006, 19:39
this was Servisair/Globeground at Heathrow when I worked there. Knackering, no wonder I blew 2 discs and had to 'retire'

Robert William
26th Nov 2006, 20:00
i believe it is a regulation that alot of uk companies are now emposing

Wodrick
27th Nov 2006, 09:09
You guys are all too young, there is only one Comet !

Grolsch30
28th Nov 2006, 10:21
You guys are all too young, there is only one Comet !

And don't forget the good old Caravelle!