PDA

View Full Version : Doing Tests in advanced??

msm
9th Nov 2006, 15:18
Hi I read at this forum that you can take the tests for a PPL in advanced before going to the school or academy so when you get there you have all the written tests passed and can concentrate more at flying, how is this possible?? Also what about international students?

Thanks

EchoMike
9th Nov 2006, 20:45
I do the ground school and CAA test prep at a school in the US which teaches to CAA regulations.

We have an accelerated 21 day course, and if you take the tests before you get here (or take any fast-track course anywhere) your life will be much easier. If you are taking a slower-paced course, such as living in the UK and taking lessons over several months, it is not as critical.

Since you are writing from Costa Rica, I am going to guess that English is not your first language (please do not be offended if I am incorrect in this), and if so, the tests may be somewhat more difficult for you - English is DEFINITELY not the first language of the CAA, some of the test questions are extremely vague, poorly worded and downright misleading. In this case, it might be better for you to read over the material and then go to my (or any) ground school with a real, live person who can answer questions and clear up the material for you before you try the tests.

Living outside of the UK, I am not sure how you would take the CAA tests in advance - I simply have no idea how this would be done unless there is a CAA school in your area. I would also check whether Costa Rican aviation runs under CAA, JAA or FAA regulations, or some combination, or their very own - CAA tests and a CAA license may not do you much good if Costa Rica operates under FAA rules.

In any event, I encourage you to go for it! Figure out the regulations first ("Who's in charge here!!!" Wow, I sound just like a gringo!) and then choose your school and location accordingly. There's lots of help here on pprune, all you have to do is ask.

Best Regards,

Echo Mike