PDA

View Full Version : RTO on an easyJet A319 at Berlin Scho. airport yesterday

ACARS
9th Nov 2006, 14:55
I experienced my first two RTO's on a new A319 yesterday (G-EZPG) on rwy 25L (i think) in Berlin yesterday.
Pilot lined up on runway, applied power, there was the graudual increase in RPM that we all know and then nothing, the aircraft slowed down (not sudden) and we taxied to end of runway. Pilot stated that a warning light on brake system stopped the take off. He said he had reset the system and wanted "to give it another go".
We lined up again, same thing, rejected take off. Engineers then spent 30mins consulting with Pilot on possible cause. We were xfered onto another aircraft and arrived safely into Geneva a couple of hours late.

As an Engineer and PPL (student) I was interested to know possible causes for this problem. I did ask the PIC when I was getting off in Geneva, but he wouldn't say any more than brake system failure.

I do have some questions for any A319 guru's:

Q. Would the RTO have been initiated automatically by onboard systems or by PIC/PNF?

Q. What message relating to brake system could have appeared?

Q. Based on the possible messages, what could have been wrong with the brake system that results in a change of aircraft?

Overall, easyJet were excellent on handling a unusual incident (never happened to me and I fly quite often).

unablereqnavperf
9th Nov 2006, 15:34
This is usually a take off config related warning. On my experience this is usually related to a switch in the park brake not releasing, which tells the config the brakes are still set.

RTO's are always pilot initiated usually by the Captain although some companies do allow f/o's to do so.

DOVES
9th Nov 2006, 16:10
As a rule of thumb, for thousands of reasons, is not wise to go back and retry a Take off immediately after an abort.
Please demonstrate that I'm wrong.
Fly Safely.
DOVE

international hog driver
9th Nov 2006, 19:28
Going by what ACARS has said it seems like it was a low speed abort and as stated not a sudden stop so given sufficient runway length remaining and his words we taxied to the end of the runway.

So given these facts I would say that the brake temps were probably well within limits, I will ask about when I get back to work.