PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Firefighting

dabeuk
8th Nov 2006, 19:37
hey, can anyone who knows any thing about fixed wing firefighting in canda and what kind of flight experience is required im real keen on it looks very demanding . im in new zealand at the moment im gonna go over there in a few months and have a look around see what happens. any info on where to start looking would be greatly appreaciated.

ive got around 850 single 50 twin about 5-600 is strip flying

ive booked my airfare to canada and hope to be arriviving mid to late april is that a good time of year for the fires??

also what kinda aircraft would one be likely to fly with my kinda experience, if i have enough that is....:confused:

Rollingthunder
8th Nov 2006, 22:05
Have a look at these guys.

http://www.conair.ca/?action=conair_main&page_id=0001

thebartman
13th Nov 2006, 23:31
hey dabeuk,

what kind of name is that anyway! I have been investigating Conair for the last month or so. They are a solid firefighting company with an excellent reputation. I visited their operation in Abbotsford, British Columbia. They have many aircraft types - 9 I think, flying everything from Cessna 206s, to aerocommanders, to firecats (ex CF trackers) to Convair 580's. Pilots get trained in March and do about a 100 to 110 day contract throught the summer. Pay is pretty good for 4 months work. They fly in northern B.C. and northern Alberta. There is lots of down time and the pilots aren't getting much than 150 hrs per season. If you are looking to build hours - this is not the place! The operation does look safe and they maintain their aircraft at a ratio of 7:1 - which is to say they do checks 7 times as regularly as an IFR a-b op.

Cheers, Bart

UB6IB9
15th Nov 2006, 03:18
just for ****s and giggles..what type of time are these guys looking for? hardcore bush/crop dustin' hrs?

cheers

Nutlob
24th Nov 2006, 05:26
I talked to some guys at Con Air during a job fair in YVR. They are typically looking for 3000TT or so. Good mix of IFR/VFR and low alt flying. Awesome job if you can get on with them. I think they only work about 5 mo a year if I'm not mistaken.

North Shore
25th Nov 2006, 06:45
I work for an outfit that operates CL215's. Our 'minimums' are 2500TT, ATPL, 325 Mpic, 'some' float time, and a good interview. I got in the door with ~3000, 325 M, and about 1500 on floats. Since then we've hired guys with a 7hr float rating, and lots of Mifr Pic. Our entry job is flying a corporate-style Navajo (so SPifr competence/confidence is nice, and no cowboy attitudes), and then leads into Birddog and tanker work. The flying can be fun, but there is lots of sitting around waiting for the phone to ring and the job can be pretty rough on 'normal', summertime family life. OTOH, I've got the whole winter off now to spend with my wife and son.
Edited to add:
If you want more, come looking for me on AVcanada.ca, as I'm there more often.

207's are pigs
11th Jan 2007, 04:52
Hi dabeuk, very interseting name, still trying to workout its meaning.:ugh:

There are several operators in the B.C. region who charter in airplanes for the summer fire season. I dont have any websites or contact phone numbers for these operators as they are only small.
My best suggestion for you is to go out to the smaller 3rd level airfields and talk to people, you are sure to find someone who will be able to help you.
I did this flying many years ago to build a bit of time for two season. Great fun, I think you will struggle to find any other flying that will enhance your skills and have a great deal of fun while your at it.
Im now flying for our national airline and have my own Cessna 207 and out of the 15+ years I have been flying, this eats it alive.
Have fun and good luck. :D

The Pig.
p.s. you'll be a long way from home, New Zealand and Canada are very similar countries in some respects

SE210
11th Jan 2007, 09:27
Hi Dabeuk

I am also looking for a transition into fire bombing, but apparently it is almost impossible for foreigners to join that business in Canada.

I had a colleague with my former airline. He was Canadian, had been flying bird dog Aero Commanders, and still he considered it impossible to join.

I suspect the chances to be better in Europe. I am right now looking into a cropduster/spray programme in Spain. Then one will be flying Piper Pawnee, Agcats etc.

Brgds

SE210

click
11th Jan 2007, 11:14
I fly into Marseilles quite regularly and all I see is Canadian manufactured stuff sitting there getting ready for the season. You might want to check them out too. Only thing is that some of the visuals I've seen from the local bunch makes me question my own sanity for sharing the same airspace. Crazy Frenchmen but they are exceptionally good.

dabeuk
15th Jan 2007, 23:52
i think thats a load of ball's for a outsider not to be considdered for aerial fire fighting, everyone loves a kiwi! :=

dabeuk
15th Jan 2007, 23:56
[quote=207's are pigs;3062114]Hi dabeuk, very interseting name, still trying to workout its meaning.:ugh:

There are several operators in the B.C. region who charter in airplanes for the summer fire season. I dont have any websites or contact phone numbers for these operators as they are only small.
My best suggestion for you is to go out to the smaller 3rd level airfields and talk to people, you are sure to find someone who will be able to help you.
I did this flying many years ago to build a bit of time for two season. Great fun, I think you will struggle to find any other flying that will enhance your skills and have a great deal of fun while your at it.

Thanks dude ill give that a look around when i get there. whats type of aircraft do they range from, i mean the bird dog lot??

o and P.S

you will never understand my name, i dont even understand it lol :ugh:

dabeuk
9th Feb 2007, 05:17
///////////////////////

SAW
11th Feb 2007, 04:08
www.airspray.com

L188
CL 215'S
AC690'S
C500

www.conair.ca

CV580'S
CL215
S2F'S
DC6
AT802
TS60
AC69
Both good outfits I have worked for both. Conair is a union shop and would be my first choice if I returned to that line of work as they are geared more to the career tanker pilot.

dabeuk
12th Feb 2007, 05:13
hey saw, thanks man!

from what the others on this thread say is the larger fire fighting outfitts usually require about 3000hrs or so.

i have heard also about smaller operaters, is this true? do you know what experince requirements are for work with them?

thanks again

:ok:

SAW
12th Feb 2007, 06:09
Most of the fire fighting in Canada is handled by the various provincial air tankers programs. There are currently four private companies Conair, Air Spray, Buffalo Airways and the martin Mars operation on Vancouver Island. If there are any other operators I have missed, my apologises. Most of the hiring is done in the next few months so CV's sent now would be a good idea. I have been told that both Conair and Air Spray may very well be hiring this season as a few guys are moving on. Overall its a good summer job and can be quite enjoyable provided there is some action throughout the summer. As for experience some low level time, turbine, bush and mountain time all help as well as float time. Air Spray usually looks at guys with 4000-5000 hours as for Conair I not sure what their time requirements are these days.
Chief pilot at Conair is Dennis Graham and at Air Spray Dennis Chrystian(sp). Thats all I got hope it helps.
Cheers

Cedar Tree
18th Feb 2007, 19:49
Instrument experience is essential as well. Float and tailwheel time is required to fly Fireboss, CL215, & AT802 at Conair. Some are hired with only 2000 hours, others have 10,000 hours +.

Both Airspray and Conair are great outfits, both a pleasure to work for. 8 months off a year and $80k - $100k CAD, it's a good life. But only if you can handle sitting on a tanker base for 4 months with the same guys. Being away from home for this amount of time isn't for everyone.

The flying is very rewarding, but isn't the safest flying out there. Running old equipment has it's drawbacks as well. This job is ideal for those that have got the flying out of their blood and are happy to take it easy, going out to a target now and again. Severe boredom followed by wild excitement! The job in BC is much different than the flatlands of Alberta.

Doudou
19th Oct 2007, 19:40
Hi everybody,

Just would like to know if Conair has ever hired or would hire foreigners if experienced in Fire fighting, ag, tailwheel, IFR... With the required number of hours.

When I say foreigners I mean non Canadian, not living in Canada and no working visa for Canada.

Thanks

Good flights