PDA

View Full Version : Night Flying Destinations

smithgd
7th Nov 2006, 11:52
Hi
I was thinking of doing some night flying but I am unsure as to where to fly/visit. Does anyone have any recommendations as to who/where is open late and worth a visit in the evening? Based in the south at Farnborough/Blackbushe area.
Thanks
smithgd

Pitts2112
7th Nov 2006, 17:01
Hi
I was thinking of doing some night flying but I am unsure as to where to fly/visit. Does anyone have any recommendations as to who/where is open late and worth a visit in the evening? Based in the south at Farnborough/Blackbushe area.
Thanks
smithgd
Well, it's a bit further out of the way, but Leicester does one hell of a good curry night on Thursdays. The place can be very busy with visiting aircraft, intentionally looking for a night flying location.
Pitts2112

VCR
7th Nov 2006, 18:08
Gloucester's open until 1930....you could try one of the fancy new GPS approaches....no-one's done one in the dark yet

QDMQDMQDM
7th Nov 2006, 18:25
Any farm strips operating at night at the moment?

I know of one very close to me which has operated with some paraffin lamps, car headlights and a tractor with a flashing orange light acting as the airport beacon. The approaches at both ends are completely and utterly black.

You can pretend you're a Lysander pilot!

Pitts2112
7th Nov 2006, 18:33
Any farm strips operating at night at the moment?
I know of one very close to me which has operated with some paraffin lamps, car headlights and a tractor with a flashing orange light acting as the airport beacon. The approaches at both ends are completely and utterly black.
You can pretend you're a Lysander pilot!

That sounds scary as hell, therefore, very cool...

Utmost respect to those Lysander pilots who did it without even a flashing orange light!

FullyFlapped
7th Nov 2006, 19:35
My instructor always used to tell me that only bats and tw*ts fly single engine at night ...

Must admit though, it's never stopped me, although I'm sure that says more about my stupidity than his wisdom !

FF :ok:

TheOddOne
7th Nov 2006, 20:32
My instructor always used to tell me that only bats and tw*ts fly single engine at night ...
Must admit though, it's never stopped me, although I'm sure that says more about my stupidity than his wisdom !
FF :ok:

Well, personally I'm of the school of thought that states 'the other engine on a twin with one engine failed is only there to carry you to the scene of the accident'.

Single-engine failures at night are almost always the result of fuel exhaustion. With the proper training and planning, it can be a darned sight safer than flying during the day.

I do recall one instructor, however who said ' if you do ever get an engine failure at night, aim for a dark patch. When you get close, turn on the landing light. If you don't like what you see, turn it off again'.

Now, back to where to go at night. I didn't know about Leicester staying open, sounds good. But what if your home airfield is shut when you've finished your curry? Night stop?

Anywhere else not too expensive that stays open?

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Pitts2112
7th Nov 2006, 20:42
Now, back to where to go at night. I didn't know about Leicester staying open, sounds good. But what if your home airfield is shut when you've finished your curry? Night stop?

TheOddOne

Night stop is always an option and I'm sure the locals would help you find a B&B or something nearby. There's a Travelodge (or similar) a few miles from the airfield if nothing else. Prolly cost you a tenner for the cab. PM Dubtrub for local details and a warm reception.

Just give them a call before you depart so they know to leave the lights on for you. 0116 259 2360

Malcolm does a pretty good curry and the craic is always good around the bar!

Pitts2112

smithgd
8th Nov 2006, 20:34
Thanks for the heads up about the curry night at Leicester, but Leicester was already my top destination given that a) my mate lives down the road (useful for emergency night stops!) b) pilot mag has a free landing in Nov (useful for saving cash!)

Anyothers?

Cheers
smithgd

scooter boy
8th Nov 2006, 21:09
If you want to log night hours you could do worse than Plymouth - closes at 22.30 local.
Landing fees go up after 8pm local (at an exponential rate) so worth calling first to see what the fee schedule is.

Jersey closes at 21.30 and no astronomical increase in landing fees, however fuel (avgas) is only available til approx 7pm.

SB

helicopter-redeye
9th Nov 2006, 07:19
Somewhere with good lighting.

If you were doing Leicester then why not shoot an approach into East Mids if they can fit you in, and then carry on to Sheffield and then Doncaster before landing at Leicester?

All the meet the good lights category and all have NDB/ DME minimum for the approach.

h-r;)

EGBKFLYER
9th Nov 2006, 14:37
We're operating at Sibson tonight (Thursdays) and so does Peterborough Conington. Quite a lot of the airfields round here choose Thursday so we all have somewhere else to fly too....

dwshimoda
10th Nov 2006, 14:51
I wish someone would tell Cranfield that the world doesn't go to sleep at 7pm. It's a right pain that really limits what you can do at night. Even if they only did one night a week it would give people a lot more options, and encourage more people to do their night rating.

Malcolm G O Payne
10th Nov 2006, 17:25
Wellesbourne is open until 2000 on Thursdays and Fridays, subject to demand.

nigelisom
10th Nov 2006, 20:47
Southend = H24 but watch out for the increase in landing fees late at night (I think it is after 22:00 but do check).

Another_CFI
11th Nov 2006, 14:08
Fairoaks is open until 6pm every evening and 8pm on Fridays.