PDA

View Full Version : Computer Selection Tests

bazzala
6th Nov 2006, 18:28
Hi,

I have been invited to the second stage of the recruitment for NATS ATCO, and was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on how best to prepare for the computer tests?

I have been previously, and this part let me down, but felt OK with the rest of the process. There's some great help and information on the other threads, but is there anything I can prepare for to help me pass these?

:confused:

sdicko
10th Nov 2006, 07:53
Hi there - I am also down for NATS stage 2 and was going to post about these computer tests. As far as I can see there is a motivation paper based on the revision handout, a HR style interview and these computer tests.

As you have done these before can you shed any light on what sort of questions are in these tests?

Thanks

Conspiracy Theories
10th Nov 2006, 11:10
In all honesty i don't know how to help with the computer tests, i guess you either have it or you don't. I guess what might help is downloading some type of ATC game or similar to help with quick reactions or something.

With the 2nd stage interview tests im not sure because i think they have increased the amount of interviews but the HR interview if fairly straight forward and the technical interview are probably more scenario based questions which can be answered without being in Air Traffic just use some logical reasoning and think about what you say. Other than that, good luck

regards

holdandmaintain
10th Nov 2006, 11:22
Hi Guys,

Best advice I can give is to practive things like break-time puzzles in paper - helps to get your mind going.

The only other bit of advice I have is on the day - don't give up during the tests, just keep calm and do the best you can.

I have just passed the selection process (start in March) and still have no idea to this day how I passed - this is the common view amongst those I have met during the selection process...

bazzala
10th Nov 2006, 11:57
The process as I remember it is pretty much as described on the link "got an interview - read here first"

The HR interview was fairly basic, basically asking about your personal competencies.

The Technical interview was tough, they give you certain scenarios ie a senior colleague smells of alcohol, what do you do? They put pressure on you to make a decision. They were asking some distance questions ie London - Paris. Radials etc.

The computer tests were a nightmare - you have several numbered planes on a radar and have to delete any that may collide, at the same time as answering numeracy questions! This is what I need help on, I'm trying to find something I can practice with first.

Conspiracy Theories
14th Nov 2006, 12:25
Bazzala, i wouldn't worry about it, I think the whole point of those computer tests, especially the stage 3 part of the computer tests are to see if you can prioritise. You have to delete the planes that are in conflict with one another and doing the arithmetic sequences is not easy although i think what they are looking for is for you to make sure the numbered aircraft are safe and if you can, do the arithmetic equations at the bottom. Not sure on this but that is how i went about it.

Good luck in March, just remember to enjoy it.

bazzala
24th Nov 2006, 13:30
Wow - I've passed the computer tests, I'm amazed!

The process has changed slightly though now. The next stage is the Technical/HR interview with an Assessment Day.

Who knows, might even pass that!

TinPusher
25th Nov 2006, 05:23
There are a number of web sites around that offer psychometric (sp?) tests of the type you'll face, some for free.
Checkout Airways.co.nz web site that offers links to some.
Good luck

Steakpie
25th Nov 2006, 21:01
this site was helpful when I did my tests as SHL are the company NATS use.

http://www.shl.com/SHL/en-int/CandidateHelpline

bazzala
1st Dec 2006, 11:54
Now the recuitment process has changed slightly (the third and final stage is now Technical Interview & Group Excercise), does anyone know what the group excercise consists of?

Frogga
2nd Dec 2006, 11:52
The group exercise is a board game! There are 12 aircraft and you have to get the aircraft from their starting positions to theie position on final. There are various rules, you get a card to read before you begin. You have 25 minutes to complete the task.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Gonzo
2nd Dec 2006, 12:15
Frogga, that was the one that you did. Nothing to say that it will be the one bazzala does. :E

bazzala
3rd Dec 2006, 12:53
OK cheers, but I guess it's about making decisions as a group and listening to others points of view, and working under pressure.

bazzala
12th Dec 2006, 18:05
Had my final interview on Friday and have been offered a place on training today - over the moon.

Thank you everybody for your kind help and advice.

So what's the nightlife like in Bournemouth?? I guess there might not be much time for that!

Quincy M.E.
13th Dec 2006, 08:13
Typical sea side town activities. Youll find the time.