PDA

View Full Version : Instructing before gaining IR

expedite08
6th Nov 2006, 17:51
Evening everyone,

I have a question, or rather, would appreciate peoples thoughts and opinions.

I am looking in to gaining my instructor rating before I go on to do the IR. The reason being is that I want to instruct for a while whislt building up hours before I go on, and apply for an airline position, I also want to explore the options of going in to CPL instruction.

My persoanl opinion is that I am more likely to gain employment with more hours under my belt and be a better pilot, with better handling skills etc when it comes to the IR. Plus Ill also give myself more options for employment ie CPL instruction etc by being involved in the training side of aviation.

My plan is to do the CPL and FI back to back, instruct for a couple of years and at around the six month mark before my ATPL credits run out, go on to do the IR. Hence when my IR is done ill have a few hundred hours under my belt (hopefully) and lots of valuable experience.

This I hope will make me more employable either by airline or FTO.

So the question is, what do you guys think. I ask as there is a lot of experience on this site and wise people to listen to and gain advice and tips from.
With the nature of the industry at the moment I dont think its worth going straight in for an IR then getting turned down from lack of hours or experience. Plus having to renew an IR every year, when your not even using it! More expense in my opinion.

Would appreciate sensible replies please ladies and gents. Please PM me if you dont wish to post on the threads.

Many thanks in advance

Expedite :ok:

combineharvester
6th Nov 2006, 18:58
Hello there, I was in a similar situation a while ago, and i asked the same question! here is the thread
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212480
I'm in the middle of my IR now, and im rather glad i got a season's instruction in first!
Hope this helps
Ch

FlyingForFun
6th Nov 2006, 19:33
Must have missed Ch's thread last time around.

I also did my FIC prior to my IR, and it had all the benefits which were discussed on the other thread. Don't regret it one bit. Eventually got the IR, and then decided rather than going to the airlines, I'd prefer to stick with instructing. I now instructing CPL and IR.

Good luck!

FFF
-----------------