PDA

View Full Version : Airspace classification..

Merritt
6th Nov 2006, 17:28
Question on 'Airquiz':

---

3) Identify the type of airspace from the following description: IFR and VFR flights are permitted. All flights are subject to ATC service. IFR flights are separated from other IFR and VFR flights. VFR flights are separated from IFR flights and receive traffic information about other VFR flights. (~67% got this question wrong, including 4.9% who left this question blank.)

Theory Area: Airspace classification and VFR/IFR separation

Class B (17.5%)
Class C (32.9%)
Class D (38.2%)
Class E (6.5%)

---

Now the correct answer shown on airquiz site is 'class C' but according to my Air Law and opp procedures book, class C is defined as:

IFR Flights separated from all other IFR flights and recieve traffic information about VFR flights
VFR flights separated from IFR flights and recieve traffic information about other VFR flights.

Am I misunderstanding something here or is the airquiz site wrong??

The question is listed under the 'worst questions' section for Air Law.

Cheers

Steve

mm_flynn
6th Nov 2006, 18:17
Question on 'Airquiz':
---
...but according to my Air Law and opp procedures book, class C is defined as:
IFR Flights separated from all other IFR flights and recieve traffic information about VFR flights
VFR flights separated from IFR flights and recieve traffic information about other VFR flights.

Your quote from Air Law and Ops looks wrong. ICAO class C is IFR from IFR, IFR from VFR, VFR gets traffic info on VFR.

Merritt
6th Nov 2006, 18:41
Thanks- its a misprint in my book then!!

Steve

Stik
6th Nov 2006, 19:23
Your quote from Air Law and Ops looks wrong. ICAO class C is IFR from IFR, IFR from VFR, VFR gets traffic info on VFR.

But isn't that what the AirLAw extract says ?

It does also state in the quote, that VFR is seperated from IFR, which is implicit, if IFR is seperated from VFR ( although semantically, it might be argued they are not the same thing, as only one party - the IFR traffic - is receiving instructions to maintain seperation? ) . . .

mm_flynn
7th Nov 2006, 10:22
No, in the bolded section of the airlaw quote it says IFR gets traffic info on VFR - which is wrong, IFR is separated from VFR.

Merritt
7th Nov 2006, 11:48
Thanks for the clarification...

If that is the case, all students studying airlaw should note that 'The Private Pilots License Course' book by Jeremy M Pratt - 'Air Law Operational Procedures & Communications' 3rd edition, page 'law62' has an incorrect definition of class C airspace!

Cheers

Steve