PDA

View Full Version : Flyer or Todays pilot mag.

magpienja
6th Nov 2006, 17:21
Hi all I have just got my subscription renewal notice for today's pilot that I have read for the last few years but I don't find it as good as I once did, to many articles about flying 737s and the likes, I am thinking of trying flyer anybody like to comment which you find the better read with regard to just light aircraft.

Nick.

Rod1
6th Nov 2006, 17:32
I subscribe to Flyer but buy the occasional TP. I find the mag more relevant to PPL flying, it tends to get involved with GA problems before the others and is very supportive. It also has a very good forum!:}

Rod1

possel
7th Nov 2006, 11:45
What about Pilot?

AerBabe
7th Nov 2006, 12:24
This is like asking someone whether you should wear y-fronts or boxers!

TP tends to be a bit of a simpler read. Perhaps more suited to new PPLs. Flyer tends to be aimed towards those with IR, twin rating etc.

hobbit1983
7th Nov 2006, 12:51
I've got a sub to Flyer; but I normally pick up a copy of Pilot/TP as well if I like the look of an article, like the Dec issue of TP with the review of the Beagle Pup :)

Gotta agree with AerBabe; although I like all three.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Nov 2006, 12:55
My preference is:

1) Flyer
2) Pilot
3) TP

Pilot's not far behind Flyer, but there's a big gap between TP and Pilot.

AerBabe
7th Nov 2006, 15:50
WR - Guessing you mean at North Weald? I haven't worked there for about five months now. :}

Fuji Abound
7th Nov 2006, 18:41
All are much of a muchness and all pedal plenty of pretty pictures, the odd interesting article, some useful topical information that relates specifically to the UK scene and IMO far too much superficial verbage that leaves you feeling there is really not much substance to any of them.

For that reason save your money on these and take out a subscription to Flying. Flying is poublished in the States and its obvious shortcoming is it doesnt contain anything specifically about the UK scene. What it does offer however is a very good read with some excellent articles about many aspects of GA that are far more thought provoking and informative than anything in the UP mags. Dont bother however if you are going to miss the pretty pictures - none of them in Flying I am afraid!

(I have never understood why the publishers feel that in order to sell mags to presumably relatively well informed and tecnically minded people, they need to fill the mag with pretty pictures and glossy paper :confused: )

BlueRobin
7th Nov 2006, 19:33
Buy FLYER and TP for the next few issues. Make your mind up :)

J.A.F.O.
7th Nov 2006, 19:37
Aerbabe

I subscribe to PILOT - should I wear boxer shorts or Y fronts?

DeeCee
7th Nov 2006, 20:06
I've subscribed to Pilot and Flyer for a few years, but this time I am only going to renew my Pilot subscription. I've found Flyer getting slightly irritating and a bit high handed. I also buy Today's Pilot now and then because it's a fun read.

IO540
7th Nov 2006, 20:07
I second Fuji. The U.S. Flying mag is actually cheaper (delivered by airmail, too) if I recall correctly, than any of the UK mags. It's an excellent read, for a pilot who wishes to advance his knowledge.

There is something about all the UK mags that reflects the lack of aspiration in UK GA specifically and UK-most-things generally.

I know this subject has been done to death before, but I reckon a lot of the readers are people who never fly; plane spotters and aviation fans. That would certainly explain the content.

There is also a huge amount of repetition. They need some new columnists. It's a bit like Discovery Wings.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Nov 2006, 20:28
The US mag 'Flying' is very good. But as a grass roots VFR pilot, I find it a bit too much oriented to the turbocharged IFR end of the market. Hardly surprising really, as more US pilots use their aeroplanes as transport than is the case here, where most of us fly for fun.

SSD

BroomstickPilot
7th Nov 2006, 21:43
Quote from IO540:
'There is something about all the UK mags that reflects the lack of aspiration in UK GA specifically and UK-most-things generally.
I know this subject has been done to death before, but I reckon a lot of the readers are people who never fly; plane spotters and aviation fans. That would certainly explain the content.
There is also a huge amount of repetition'.
Totally agree!!!
Broomstick.

stickandrudderman
7th Nov 2006, 21:44
[quote=Fuji Abound;2951580]
For that reason save your money on these and take out a subscription to Flying. Flying is poublished in the States and its obvious shortcoming is it doesnt contain anything specifically about the UK scene. What it does offer however is a very good read with some excellent articles about many aspects of GA that are far more thought provoking and informative than anything in the UP mags. Dont bother however if you are going to miss the pretty pictures - none of them in Flying I am afraid!

quote]

Got a link?

Fuji Abound
7th Nov 2006, 21:51
http://www.flyingmag.com/

Use to be stocked in the UK a bit, but sadly rarely seen now. Mine comes by post - good as gold, always turns up.

(PS I have no commercial connection with Flying! :), just think it is a joly good read)

AerBabe
8th Nov 2006, 08:23
Aerbabe
I subscribe to PILOT - should I wear boxer shorts or Y fronts?

Pilot? Big pink bloomers mate!

Mad Girl
8th Nov 2006, 09:34
It's a bit like Discovery Wings.

Isn't that the channel that does nice programs on steam trains and ships??? :} :} :} :}

IO540
8th Nov 2006, 10:11
No MG, it is the channel that repeats programmes over and over and over, especially if they show that Americans invented flying :)

It's fun to watch though, so long as you don't watch it too often.

J.A.F.O.
8th Nov 2006, 10:46
Pilot? Big pink bloomers mate!

Only at the weekend, AB, only at the weekend. :E