PDA

View Full Version : BBC research

naomidp
6th Nov 2006, 13:54
Hi there,

We are a UK film company making a series for the BBC and are looking for an experienced Air Traffic controller to help with our research- is there anone out there interested in giving our writer some friendly advice?

eyeinthesky
7th Nov 2006, 09:17
The deafening silence is probably due to suspicion as to your motives or because, for NATS employees at least, speaking to the Press without approval is a disciplinary offence...

You might get more luck if you address the NATS Press office, explain what you want and they will try and help.

Of course, the official approach may not give you what you want for your programme...:hmm:

MancBoy
7th Nov 2006, 09:41
And even if you do get approval from the NATS press office the chances of you filming anything "as it happens" are less than very remote.

Il Duce
7th Nov 2006, 10:21
I'l tell you everything you WANT to hear - but I need an awful lot of money up front!

Lon More
7th Nov 2006, 10:33
Cheese and ham?

MancBoy
7th Nov 2006, 10:49
Ill do it for 10 million and nothing less

eastern wiseguy
7th Nov 2006, 11:10
I seem to remember the last BBC effort paid little or no attention to what actually happens in ATC ......shock horror millions die ...seemed to be the starting point and it went downhill from there.:confused:

chevvron
7th Nov 2006, 13:49
Naomidp: after what the BBC did to ATC in general in the drama 'The Night Britain Stopped'(at least I think that's what it was called - I didn't watch it on principle) I'm surprised your producers even bother to spend the money getting you to research this, but then, knowing how 'free and easy' BBC producers are with licence payers money, maybe it's not surprising.

Jerricho
7th Nov 2006, 14:07
Ah yes Chevvron, what a wonderful "mockumentary" that production was. Exacerbated that the BBC were forced to add the little disclaimer at the end of it after it's first airing. :rolleyes:

MancBoy
7th Nov 2006, 14:25
And how is Bob Trott these days?

Ali Bongo
7th Nov 2006, 15:00
Do I have to go on the 'casting couch' again? :=

8th Nov 2006, 08:20
Saw Bob at Hoebridge Golf Centre last week - alive and kickin'

chevvron
8th Nov 2006, 16:28
He can be heard occasionally on 123.425

hold at SATAN
9th Nov 2006, 11:48
Naomidp,

just watch "pushing tin" or "wing and a prayer" - both excellent movies which accurately depict the lives and work of ATCOs. :ouch:

MancBoy
9th Nov 2006, 12:29
I hope you are joking.

Pushing tin is the worst film I have ever seen and doesn't reflect ATC in the UK whatsoever.

Asda
9th Nov 2006, 13:16
I agree.

It's much more like 'Airplane'.

Dannyboyblue
9th Nov 2006, 17:28
Pants film but i thought the bit where they stand behind the 747 was funny, would love to try it, hmmmmmm whats the airport managers name at heathrow he he:ouch:

Conspiracy Theories
10th Nov 2006, 11:02
Pants film but i thought the bit where they stand behind the 747 was funny, would love to try it, hmmmmmm whats the airport managers name at heathrow he he:ouch:

Absolutely, let me know if you ever get permission, i will join in. But what would happen if the 747 lands just before the threshold?:eek:

Married a Canadian
10th Nov 2006, 15:58
Manc boy

Just cos Pushing tin dosen't reflect UK ATC isn't to say it might not reflect the rest world ATC eh?:) In fact it might be incredibly accurate.

25check
11th Nov 2006, 10:05
I think Die Hard 2 is much more accurate, lets stack 'em, pack 'em and rack 'em........!

Spitoon
11th Nov 2006, 10:29
And don't forget Ground Control.

Dan Dare
11th Nov 2006, 12:31
Aw c'mon!

You guys slate "The day Britain ground to a halt" (just like every other day then), which was one of the best doccumentaries ever, then refuse to give the producers the benefit of your wisdom to sort out the minor technical inaccuracies that creaped in. What are they supposed to do? Just guess again and make another slightly flawed show?

:mad: I'm not talking and losing my job though:mad:

matspart3
11th Nov 2006, 12:44
Not much help from the overpaid prima donnas then?

I'll tell you everything you want to know and I DO come cheap!

Roffa
11th Nov 2006, 14:06
Not much help from the overpaid prima donnas then?

Miaow :rolleyes:

2 sheds
11th Nov 2006, 15:10
I can see it now...

"Jumbo Jets collide at Fred West International"

tori chelli
11th Nov 2006, 16:27
"I think Die Hard 2 is much more accurate"

I agree, the bit where they use software to 'hack' into the ILS and drop the GP angle to make the i/b's crash was absolutely spot-on :)
Much like the first series of 'Spooks' when they altered the elevations of all the mountains, and suddenly A/c on the Awy's were in danger of CFIT :hmm: and the latest series of 'Spooks' when you can wander into the centre, chat to a couple of A/c on freq. without anyone noticing, and engineer a mid-air without TCAS going off :ugh: :ugh:

TV make it up, the press lap it up, and the media wonder why we don't trust them :( :(

Tori

chevvron
12th Nov 2006, 07:26
The Day Britain Stopped (or whatever it was called) was notorious due to the BBC not bothering to accept any input from NATS and refusing to give NATS a prior viewing before it was shown to all and sundry. Typical BBC attitude.

mdcsplatter
13th Nov 2006, 23:47
I'll do it for a portion of chips with curry sauce and three pints of boddies!

TATC
14th Nov 2006, 12:21
What made me laugh about the Day Britain Stood Still was the way that controllers couldn't get to the centre to take over on LL Approach, but they could make it to the tower on time which is what 5 miles away. Curse the bloody british traffic

Quokka
16th Nov 2006, 01:56
Every time I chat up a babe in a Club and she asks me what I do for a living... then her eyes light up and she gets all excited and says "you wave the batons!!"... :ugh:

One good thing about "Pushing Tin"... a lot of people have seen it.

You just have to say "What John Cuzak did in that film... that's what I do..."

Married a Canadian
16th Nov 2006, 13:08
John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton came to YYZ to train and "get into the character" of Air traffic controllers. At the start of the movie it is one of my colleagues mouth you see giving instructions.

So you slag off Pushing Tin you are slagging off all of YYZ terminal control.

Shocking:=

Jerricho
16th Nov 2006, 20:19
Yeah, you don't need Pushing Tin to do that.

Pilsbury Dough Boy
17th Nov 2006, 00:22
Pushing Tin depics the reality of ATC as much as Mel Brooks "The History of the World Pt 1" did... 'what shall we do the streets are crawling with romans?' .... ' half you men run with me and the rest will run with Mucus!'..... Why are you YYZaidians so sensitive. I get the feeling that you have a inferiority complex.

Married a Canadian
17th Nov 2006, 11:55
Main problem with PPRUNE is people never seem to pick up on tongue in cheek comments.

Sigh!

GrahamDuke
11th Dec 2006, 21:16
Just saw your request for help.

I am not a controller but I have been writing books on ATC since the early 1980's.

"ABC Air Traffic Control" is now in its 9th edition. You will probably find it in Smiths or on the Ian Allan Publishing website.

Quite happy to help provided it's not the usual scare scenario that gives aviation and ATC a bad name.

Point Seven
11th Dec 2006, 22:42
Hey, I read your book before I applied to be an ATCO some 8 years ago now. And then some fool gave me a job!

Many thanks for your help Sir.

P7:ok:

Gonzo
11th Dec 2006, 23:18
Same here Mr. Duke, thanks!:ok:

P7, we're getting scarily similar. We must take steps to stop this. :eek:

GT3
12th Dec 2006, 08:11
I too read the aforementioned book and now lead an illustrious career at London's finest.

However it must be noted that I distance myself from the above two LHR controllers. I clearly cannot compete with their uniqueness.

Dances with Boffins
12th Dec 2006, 10:04
Mr Duke is indeed a most respected source for every ATCO who has entered NATS [and I suspect any other ANSP] for the last 20 years.:ok:

Read his book Mr BBC person.

halo
12th Dec 2006, 12:51
:) :) I too owe a great debt to Mr Duke for my career at a small twin runwayed airfield just west of London

bmb7jiw
12th Dec 2006, 22:01
I'm another one!!
Thanks so much for your book, it certainly helped me on my technical interview!

bmb7jiw

flower
13th Dec 2006, 06:40
I think we should have an in praise of Graham Duke thread. I like the rest of my colleagues who have posted read the book cover to cover prior to Joining up, i still direct any potential students towards it today.

GrahamDuke
14th Dec 2006, 22:20
Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier message.

I have to say I was surprised (and rather humbled) by the reaction which was quite unexpected.

I know that quite a few people have a copy of my book, but I had not realised that it was actually useful to some of you!

Thanks again for your kind comments - very much appreciated!

rodan
15th Dec 2006, 02:25
Heheh, who did you think was buying all those copies? Your book is pretty much required reading for anyone pursuing a career in ATC these days. I certainly studied it, and I've recommended it to many others since.

Odi
16th Dec 2006, 20:04
And you can add me as one more to the (very long?) list of people who studied the book intently before his interview....

Incidently, the Amazon website has one review of the book by a reader, and I quote:

"This very basic approach is certainly accessible - perhaps best for children. Constant references to the type of radio to buy in order to listen in to ATC communications show this to be aimed ...not at those of us with a professional interest in the subject."

Love the bit about the book being best for children...

GrahamDuke
18th Dec 2006, 12:55
Interesting comment from you about the Amazon website. I had a look but can't find it.

I just wonder if they are referring to my other book on Airband Radio?

Odi
18th Dec 2006, 13:51
Hopefully this will work:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-Traffic-Control-Ian-Allan/dp/071102569X/sr=1-10/qid=1166453274/ref=sr_1_10/203-6435071-9327133?ie=UTF8&s=books

That should take you to the page in question.

The reviewer obviously never applied to be an ATCO!

:D :D :D :D

Billy Onions
20th Dec 2006, 16:57
Robert Johnson = Godfather of Blues

James Brown = Godfather of Soul

Neil Young = Godfather of Grunge

Francis Ford Coppolla = Godfather of Gangster

Graham Duke = Godfather of ATC Training & Selection

I can't believe that not checking this thread nearly cost me the oppurtinuty to post to the man himself. Your book + ATCO interview = pass (also FACT).

GrahamDuke
20th Dec 2006, 19:40
To Billy Onions and Others

Thanks again - such an honour!!

jumpseater
20th Dec 2006, 20:12
Me too, helped pass a interview in 89, due reasons outside my control had to take a sabattical for a few years, 06 read the book again, back in atc:ok: :D

Coast
20th Dec 2006, 21:08
Yeah, you don't need Pushing Tin to do that.

Agreed, YWG is much, much better and much, much safer............except on the busy days when there's 3 or 4 planes :E

Taffy1
22nd Dec 2006, 15:45
I too made it to and out of the college of knowledge thanks to Mr Dukes book. Thank you!!!

Jerricho
22nd Dec 2006, 16:03
Why with the hurt Coasty? Why?

;)

chevvron
22nd Dec 2006, 16:04
Never heard of Graham Duke; is he a controller? If not, treat anything he writes with suspicion.

SilentHandover
22nd Dec 2006, 16:15
Alternatively read his book Chevv.

chevvron
22nd Dec 2006, 16:31
You'll be telling me next it's more accurate than Arnold Field's book. Anyway my reading material consists mostly of detective novels and Clive Cussler adventures; why should I shell out for a subject I already know just a little about; obviously you've got one so why not lend it to me?

Gonzo
22nd Dec 2006, 16:35
Originally posted by GrahamDukeI am not a controller but I have been writing books on ATC since the early 1980's.

Originally posted by chevvronNever heard of Graham Duke; is he a controller?

My bolding. :ugh: :E

SilentHandover
22nd Dec 2006, 17:01
No prob Chevv, I'm not too proud to say that after 9 years as an ATSA there was still stuff I learnt from reading the book before i went for my ATCO interview. I'll drop the book into you on my way to Bournemouth.

chevvron
22nd Dec 2006, 17:53
Strange that a non-controller could have such influence over you youngsters.
Got most of my pre selection knowledge from controllers like Len Vass, Des O'Connel,Mike McEvoy, Leo Marriot and Mike Thompson (that shows my age - maybe I should go the same way as Talkdownman)

eastern wiseguy
22nd Dec 2006, 18:33
Probably it was Mr Dukes way of putting things across...did you ever read Arnold Fields manual....sorry book:uhoh:

And I am probably as old as you!

SilentHandover
22nd Dec 2006, 18:37
Perhaps the controllers you mention were better at putting information across that some of the ATCO's I've worked with Chevv. I for one always found it damned difficult getting anything out of yourself, which considering your undoubted ATC knowledge is a shame for me.

chevvron
22nd Dec 2006, 18:55
Maybe you shouldn't have asked so many questions!

2 sheds
23rd Dec 2006, 08:31
Controller or not, Graham Duke has an excellent grasp of the subject and writes well - there is very little to criticise adversely in his book. I was very disappointed with Arnold Field's effort; poor writing style, rather parochial and a whole chunk just copied from the UK MATS, from what I recall.