PDA

View Full Version : Exterior lights below 18000 ft

aimscabinet
4th Nov 2006, 18:45
Hello, any American pilot or ATCO:

I think I read somewhere that it is recommended to use the exterior lights below 18000 ft in the US airspace; I just can't find the reference anymore.
That would help being visible by VFR traffic in class G airspace.
This that make sense or am I dreaming?:ugh:

Thanks

av8boy
5th Nov 2006, 03:47
AIM:

4-3-23. Use of Aircraft Lights
a. Aircraft position lights are required to be lighted on aircraft operated on the surface and in flight from sunset to sunrise. In addition, aircraft equipped with an anti-collision light system are required to operate that light system during all types of operations (day and night). However, during any adverse meteorological conditions, the pilot-in-command may determine that the anti-collision lights should be turned off when their light output would constitute a hazard to safety (14 CFR Section 91.209). Supplementary strobe lights should be turned off on the ground when they adversely affect ground personnel or other pilots, and in flight when there are adverse reflection from clouds.
b. An aircraft anti-collision light system can use one or more rotating beacons and/or strobe lights, be colored either red or white, and have different (higher than minimum) intensities when compared to other aircraft. Many aircraft have both a rotating beacon and a strobe light system.
c. The FAA has a voluntary pilot safety program, Operation Lights On, to enhance the see-and-avoid concept. Pilots are encouraged to turn on their landing lights during takeoff; i.e., either after takeoff clearance has been received or when beginning takeoff roll. Pilots are further encouraged to turn on their landing lights when operating below 10,000 feet, day or night, especially when operating within 10 miles of any airport, or in conditions of reduced visibility and in areas where flocks of birds may be expected, i.e., coastal areas, lake areas, around refuse dumps, etc. Although turning on aircraft lights does enhance the see-and-avoid concept, pilots should not become complacent about keeping a sharp lookout for other aircraft. Not all aircraft are equipped with lights and some pilots may not have their lights turned on. Aircraft manufacturer's recommendations for operation of landing lights and electrical systems should be observed.
d. Prop and jet blast forces generated by large aircraft have overturned or damaged several smaller aircraft taxiing behind them. To avoid similar results, and in the interest of preventing upsets and injuries to ground personnel from such forces, the FAA recommends that air carriers and commercial operators turn on their rotating beacons anytime their aircraft engines are in operation. General aviation pilots using rotating beacon equipped aircraft are also encouraged to participate in this program which is designed to alert others to the potential hazard. Since this is a voluntary program, exercise caution and do not rely solely on the rotating beacon as an indication that aircraft engines are in operation.
e. At the discretion of the pilot-in-command turn on all external illumination, including landing lights, when taxiing on, across, or holding in position on any runway. This increases the conspicuity of the aircraft to controllers and other pilots approaching to land, taxiing, or crossing the runway. Pilots should comply with any equipment operating limitations and consider the effects of landing and strobe lights on other aircraft in their vicinity. When cleared for takeoff pilots should turn on any remaining exterior lights.

aimscabinet
5th Nov 2006, 08:49
[quote=av8boy;2946874]AIM:

4-3-23. Use of Aircraft Lights

Thank you for the whole story:-))

As everybody else, our airline SOPs direct us to use the ext lts below 10,000 FT AGL.

I was browsing some FAA site on the other day and read a matter related to class G airspace or something, plus the use of lights below 18,000 FT.
As usual, I didn't bookmarked it and I couldn't find it anymore.:ugh:

It is not a real issue, since the PIC may always decide when he/she wants them on. The thing is that somethimes, I tell stuff to people and I like to backup my statements by indicating the proper references.

Thanks again:O

av8boy
6th Nov 2006, 04:16
Glad to help.