PDA

View Full Version : A VCR's remote control weirdness

Belgique
4th Nov 2006, 09:53
Even with new Alkaline batteries, my VCR's remote control deadens now and again. You can only fix it by taking the batteries out and swapping them around. It affects all functions (power ON/OFF, rewind, fast forward, play, record etc).

Never run into this vagary with any sort of electronics before. Taking the remote control apart (and checking continuity) discloses no loose contacts. Anybody have any idea?

str12
5th Nov 2006, 01:40
1. Take the batteries out and clean the contacts with something like a feeler gauge to burnish them. Don't use an abrasive or you'll take the chrome off.

2. Bend the contacts out a little, if the remote gets dropped the impact can cause the contacts to get bent in so they do not apply firm pressure on the battery terminal.

Belgique
5th Nov 2006, 02:45
STR12

Thanks. I had cleaned the 4 contacts. It made no difference. There's a strong spring in each battery compartment that ensures good electrical contact.

It's more than likely a failing electrical component such as a capacitor (is my guess). Reverse polarity possibly reboots it into life.