PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here know anything about Paramotors?

hugh flung_dung
3rd Nov 2006, 16:52
I'm tempted to learn to fly Paramotors (powered paragliders). I've lurked on the PPG yahoo group for a while and looked at the BHPA and BMAA sites but am looking around for any info that's available.

HFD

scooter boy
3rd Nov 2006, 18:51
I have no idea about how to get hold of one of these but - I passed one in the air yesterday morning near Truro at around 7am - bloody cold for the poor bloke strapped to it (2C or so) but a beautiful clear windless morning. Not sure if he was waving at me or just trying to keep warm. I wasn't sure how he was staying in the air until I saw the 007 style fan attached to his back - a tad breezy for me I thought as I sat in my nice warm cockpit.

Not for the faint hearted.

SB

maggioneato
3rd Nov 2006, 19:23
http://www.sportaviation.org.uk/default.asp
Birmingham hosts a weekend dedicated to sport aviation. The last one I went to was when it was at Telford. There were traders dealing with paramotors, you might find a bit more information at the show.

Also have a look at http://www.paramotorsuk.co.uk/content.asp

pulse1
3rd Nov 2006, 20:42
According to my neighbour, who is quite an experienced paramotor pilot, you need to get some experience at paragliding before using a motor. I understand that it is quite easy for the unwary to collapse the canopy.

BroomstickPilot
4th Nov 2006, 09:02
You do realise these things are non-aerobatic hugh?

Broomstick

Mad Girl
6th Nov 2006, 08:12
You do realise these things are non-aerobatic hugh?

Broomstick

:D :D :D :D

And don't forget your long johns!!!!!!

MG

MichaelJP59
6th Nov 2006, 10:40
Never fancied it myself but had a brief chat with one of these intrepid souls before he launched himself skyward, flymo strapped to his back. He said it was great apart from he'd broken his ankle in a heavy landing a couple of weeks ago so had to land on one leg!

Saw him later drifting along at 4000ft, must have been b. cold:)

chevvron
6th Nov 2006, 16:11
Trouble is they're so slow they don't show on modern radars, as a local user found out when he had a 'close encounter' with a Learjet on my downwind leg at 1700ft!