PDA

View Full Version : Exam questions and air law...

Merritt
3rd Nov 2006, 15:53
For the past few weeks ive been reading up on my air law with the intention of taking the exam before I get much further into my flying (ive only just started).

Given that I have gone through all of the air law questions in the confuser a number of times & im happy with them all - is this a good indication that im ready to take the exam? I was half expecting to be able to get hold of past papers etc but im told the confuser questions will be more than enough...?

Any thoughts?

Steve

gcolyer
3rd Nov 2006, 15:59
For the past few weeks ive been reading up on my air law with the intention of taking the exam before I get much further into my flying (ive only just started).

Given that I have gone through all of the air law questions in the confuser a number of times & im happy with them all - is this a good indication that im ready to take the exam? I was half expecting to be able to get hold of past papers etc but im told the confuser questions will be more than enough...?

Any thoughts?

Steve

Steve,

If you averaged 80% from the confuser that is a fairly good pointer. Register with www.airquiz.com (http://www.airquiz.com) and try a few exams on there. Once you average an 80% pass rate then go for the exam.

bean_ian
3rd Nov 2006, 16:12
I found the confuser I used to be a lot more accurate and representative of the types of questions you will be asked than AirQuiz was. If your happy with the questions in the confuser you should be ok.

Merritt
3rd Nov 2006, 16:18
I was just looking at Airquiz and thinking that some of the air law questions were more comms based than air law i.e questions regarding conditional clearances etc..

I'll probably still sign up as its all good practice but nice to know the confuser is closer to the mark..

Cheers

Steve

gcolyer
3rd Nov 2006, 16:23
Yeah airquiz throw some odd questions in for the exams now and again. the good thing is you will never do the same exam twice as it generates the exam randomly each time (supposedly by subject).

I still use it after getting my PPL to keep the cobwebs out.

HR200
3rd Nov 2006, 16:58
Be careful if you do, I found the actual questions much different to the confuser, but I decided to have tuition for all my exams, much better understanding the topic itself for safety, rather than knowing which box to tick in a question.

Mad Girl
3rd Nov 2006, 17:12
Also be aware that if you've done all the questions in the confuser - you may have learned the answers to the questions - hence you think you're doing ok and you may not be.

I set up an excel spreadsheet to take random questions from the question bank and set them up as mock exams.

I prepared about 10 papers with a different mix of questions on each.

When I thought I was ready and wanted to check, I sat one under exam conditions and then marked it. Found my weak areas....back to the books.... and then did another...and so on.

Eventually sat the exam when I could answer the ENTIRE question bank within the time allowed for the standard number of questions and get a reasonable score.

This has meant that I've passed 5 exams first time and in the majority of cases.... in a fraction of the time allowed.

I hate exams :ugh: , and the faster I'm out of there the better.......

Couldn't find a quick way out of RT practical though :{

GWidgery
3rd Nov 2006, 20:44
The confuser is all you need! Once you can get 90% ish consistently, after you've done all 150 questions for each subject 3 times or so, then you can go for the exam, with an almost guaranteed pass. I did all 7 of my exams, passed all but 1 first time - that was before i bought the confuser :ugh:

HR200
3rd Nov 2006, 21:01
The confuser is all you need! Once you can get 90% ish consistently, after you've done all 150 questions for each subject 3 times or so, then you can go for the exam, with an almost guaranteed pass. I did all 7 of my exams, passed all but 1 first time - that was before i bought the confuser :ugh:

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds to me like you could answer the question but didn't truly understand it. When I did mine, I never used the confuser, I had one on one tuition and passed them all with 90%+, and I fully understand each topic.

GWidgery
3rd Nov 2006, 21:12
It sounds to me like you could answer the question but didn't truly understand it.

I can see your point. I did actually use the OAT CDs (free from a friend) to go through all the material, and the Trevor Thom books as well to learn it. And then checked I knew it through using the Confuser. That way it was free, and i managed to do well, and became the youngest pilot in the country for a month or two! :)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
6th Nov 2006, 15:18
Merritt

You don't say what cat licence you are going for. Check that your exam pass won't time expire before you apply for your licence.

Merritt
6th Nov 2006, 15:22
'Basic' PPL (A) at this stage.. I want to take it further eventually but I'll learn to walk before I can run!

I believe that gives me two years from the point of passing the first exam??

Cheers

Steve

Mad Girl
6th Nov 2006, 15:55
'Basic' PPL (A) at this stage.. I want to take it further eventually but I'll learn to walk before I can run!

I believe that gives me two years from the point of passing the first exam??

Cheers

Steve

You get 18 months from the time of passing your first exam to pass the lot, you then get 24 months from getting all your exams to complete the flying.

high-hopes
6th Nov 2006, 16:54
Couldn't find a quick way out of RT practical though :{

by the way
I only have the RT practical and Perf&Planning left to take.

Any suggestions for the RT practical ?

(avoiding answers such as "read CAP 413" please ;) )

I have practical experience of solo flying in controlled airspace and FIS areas, from air/ground airfield to approach/tower scenario (and return:E )
The only thing I haven't experienced so far is MATZ penetration (ouch !:ouch: )

Will my practical knowledge get me through the RT exam ?

thank you
h-h

Jenni Morton
6th Nov 2006, 21:40
I rarely post on this forum!
but imho - a good sound knowledge of the subject first
and then the aids air quiz -confuser and others

if you understand your subject and read the questions carefully
you can work them out - well most of the time!
not done RT prac yet!!

Surely we need the knowledge for our flying 'life' not just the exam
as I said imho
exited stage left

cparker
6th Nov 2006, 22:45
I did the RT practical exam with 2 days notice and no flying experience of the UK. How? CAP 413.

Jenni Morton
6th Nov 2006, 22:56
brilliant - you are a star:D

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
6th Nov 2006, 23:34
H H

If you've flown in controlled airspace, you have no worries over MATZ penetration. Outside their Aerodrome Control Zone, the difference is that you are telling them where you are and requesting their essential traffic; not them telling you where to go (although they will probably try). Good airmanship expects, though, that you will consider their advice on its merits and keep them informed of your intentions.

DISCLAIMER

Any adverts showing against this Post are nothing to do with me.

acuba 290
7th Nov 2006, 02:53
i also used Confuser, but 1 week before exams, i bought this book and this one os much more closer to real exams with style and questions, it helped me a lot!
http://www.afeonline.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=217