PDA

View Full Version : Anchorage Customs (PANC)

Taikonaut
3rd Nov 2006, 09:25
Ladies and gents, be warned, US Customs in ANC are on a rampage. They have been going through all crew bags with vengence for all flights arriving from the Far East (especially the freighter crew). They have also simultaneously sent out agents to inspect the a/c while the in-bound crew are going through the immigration and customs.

So far, all the thorough searches happen during the day shift and not much have been reported in the late evening/ early morning arrivals.

All food, bootleg cds, copyrighted products including imitation blow up dolls are forbidden.

UPS, Kalitta and EVA have reported similiar incidents.

tezzer
3rd Nov 2006, 09:53
What about real blow up dolls ?

Doesn't this kind of post contradict US Customs law ? I think you'll find in the UK you could still potentially be prosecuted for an old (but still on the statute) crime known as "signalling to smugglers".

320DRIVER
3rd Nov 2006, 10:02
If my information is correct this has been repealed from UK Law as per quote below:

sub-paragraph (iv) section 84 (signalling to smugglers) - the specific provision is no longer seen as required, as the conduct in question constitutes an offence of being knowingly concerned in an attempt at evasion of duty or prohibition, and is arrestable under section 170 (2) CEMA. Under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE) as applied to customs and excise matters (by the PACE (Application to Customs and Excise) Order SI 1985 No 1800) an officer may enter premises under section 17 PACE to effect such an arrest;

The matter of the original post does not in any way constitute an attempt at evasion of duty, but quite the opposite as it discourages this heinous (spelling?) act from taking place by forewarning would-be smugglers of heightened checks at the border.

I rest my case. :8

VP8
3rd Nov 2006, 12:45
We've got an AN124 on ground at the moment in ANC and we are having horrendous problems....

2hr turnrounds gone out of the window!!

VEEPS

junior_man
3rd Nov 2006, 17:11
It doesn't matter if you declare it. Apparantly somebody paid off a congressman to step up looking for fake goods. No checking for nukes coming in through the ports, but very important to US security that anybody with a fake gucci bag be stopped.
Actually they will let you bring one of anything in. At least that was the speech last time. 1 jacket, 1 watch etc. I guess if you have two it means you are selling them on ebay. Also some brands must have paid more and the enforcement is tighter. (Northface)

Maybe after the elections things will calm down.

Semaphore Sam
6th Nov 2006, 01:12
Back more than a few years ago, a customs man was re-assigned from Hawaii to Anchorage for giving Bob Hope's USO tour aircraft a hard time...after all these years, maybe the same a**hole?

filejw
6th Nov 2006, 01:19
Nothing new as it runs in cycles every few yrs. Just a little more vigor this time. :ugh:

6th Nov 2006, 02:33
...Actually they will let you bring one of anything in. At least that was the speech last time. 1 jacket, 1 watch etc. I guess if you have two it means you are selling them on ebay. Also some brands must have paid more and the enforcement is tighter. (Northface)

Maybe after the elections things will calm down.

You hit the real issue here--one is OK. 13 Northface jackets is not, and I have seen that many taken through.

As usual, we are our own worst enemy.

Airbubba
6th Nov 2006, 03:12
As usual, we are our own worst enemy.

Amen......

Phil Squares
6th Nov 2006, 03:18
I've been through ANC a couple of times in the past month. Nothing out of the ordinary, business as usual. In fact, I've never even been asked to open a bag going through ANC. To me, it's one of the most painless ports to enter the US.

Intruder
9th Nov 2006, 03:11
Just yesterday: Declared "1 purse" coming in from ICN. Customs guy asked, "Are you sure it's '1 purse'?"

I said, "Yes." He nodded his head and waved me on...

Do you LOOK trustworthy? ;)

singpilot
14th Nov 2006, 22:51
Went thru this morning at 5am. No problems, very couteous, efficient clearing. Allowed us to service the airplane while being cleared. We never assume that, always ask first. Was at Gate N2, right in front of their facility. A G5 was 30 minutes in front of us all the way from ZSPD (Shanghai-Pudong), and he was restarting his engines as we taxied up.

No complaints here.