PDA

View Full Version : carbon fibre

tangovictor
3rd Nov 2006, 00:18
I wonder if anyone knows, how / if a carbon fibre a/c could be repaired ?
unless I'm mistaken, are they not made under high pressure in a kiln like machine ? so I wondered, if damaged, how could a repair be made ?
tv

JUST-local
3rd Nov 2006, 01:26
Yes, No, Maybe

If the aircraft is on a permit, its up to the kit manufactures and the person who supervises your/the work.

If its a real aircraft from a factory, its up to the factory and the work must be complicated/ supervised by a licensed engineer with a B licence for composites.

Anyway what I think your asking is a more general question, it can be fixed, it is wonderful stuff and not as complicated as you think.

JL..................

A and C
3rd Nov 2006, 06:22
Yes is the answer, but you need to have it done by people who know the GRP business.

It is very easy to spot a bad metal repair................ It is very hard to spot a bad GRP repair !

Myndflyer
3rd Nov 2006, 08:48
Have you tried contacting glider repairers?

Depending on your location, my brother-in-law is certified to repair
fibre-glass and has recently extended his glider cert to include planes, although I'm not sure if its just a PFA cert.

Look in Sailplane & Gliding magazine for companies, or PM me for details of various companies.

Rod1
3rd Nov 2006, 09:40
If you have a real aeroplane which happens to be on a permit then your PFA inspector will be signed off on Composites so he is the first point of contact. You will then need to talk with the Kit manufacture and PFA engineering, but in most cases the repair is likely to be simple to do once the experts have defined the precise resin and mat requirements.

Rod1

Rod1
3rd Nov 2006, 12:02
“I believe carbon fiber construction is a completely more advanced technology, and not something ordinarily achieved in your garage.”

I have built an MCR01 in my garage which is a carbon aircraft. The construction included a lot of trimming and gluing of pre manufactured carbon parts, but also some limited wet lay. The process is very similar to other composite construction from a wet lay perspective, but the resins and the carbon itself are more expensive. I know of other carbon aircraft which have been repaired very cheaply and quickly, after a considerable delay deciding exactly what the repair should consist of.

Rod1

tangovictor
3rd Nov 2006, 14:24
Thank you for your advise, I'm still considering which a/c to purchase
just wanted to clear any doubts I had re carbon fibre repairs, Im considering the tl sting which is all carbon fibre, or the a/c that Rod has, I must admit I thought was made of composite rather than carbon fibre. and therefore easier to repair, should hanger rash occur.

Rod1
3rd Nov 2006, 16:05
On my MCR01 Club the wings and tail are metal skinned, but the fus is all carbon. I do not think there is any difference in the skill required to repair fibreglass, kevlar, dealin or carbon. The wingtips, which would be most susceptible to hanger rash, are not carbon and can be removed in 10 min for repair in a warm workshop (kitchen table) if required.

Let me know if you want to come for a ride, she has 35 hours on her now and is going very well.

Rod1

tangovictor
4th Nov 2006, 00:48
On my MCR01 Club the wings and tail are metal skinned, but the fus is all carbon. I do not think there is any difference in the skill required to repair fibreglass, kevlar, dealin or carbon. The wingtips, which would be most susceptible to hanger rash, are not carbon and can be removed in 10 min for repair in a warm workshop (kitchen table) if required.
Let me know if you want to come for a ride, she has 35 hours on her now and is going very well.
Rod1

thank you Rod, I have PM'd you

ProfChrisReed
4th Nov 2006, 18:58
Have you tried contacting glider repairers?

<snip>

Look in Sailplane & Gliding magazine for companies, or PM me for details of various companies.

I'd second this. There is lots of carbon fibre in a modern glider.

Glider inspectors have substantial experience of repairing composites which are structural. I only know enough from watching to know that it's a highly skilled activity, and repairing to full structural strength requires extensive knowledge.

Your local gliding club (www.gliding.co.uk) will be able to give the location of your nearest expert in this technology.

tangovictor
4th Nov 2006, 23:27
I'd second this. There is lots of carbon fibre in a modern glider.

Glider inspectors have substantial experience of repairing composites which are structural. I only know enough from watching to know that it's a highly skilled activity, and repairing to full structural strength requires extensive knowledge.

Your local gliding club (www.gliding.co.uk) will be able to give the location of your nearest expert in this technology.

thanks for the advise, I don't as yet have a a/c carbon fibre / fibre glass or ali, I'm just exploring the possibilties, and wondered, should I buy a carbon fibre machine, and the worse was to happen, whether its possible to make a decent repair, without spending a kings ransom, I understand that, fibre glass and ali, is relatively easy, to repair, however I was wrongly it appears, under the illusion, that carbon fibre, was made under extreme pressure.
TV

Rod1
5th Nov 2006, 07:43
I have a copy of a Dyn’ Aero carbon repair procedure. If you send me your email I will send it on. It is about ˝ a days work, requires a Dremal, an electric sander a suitable paint brush, some specific grade carbon cloth, some specific grade fibreglass cloth, some epoxy resin and some peel ply. Skill level required to carry it out is not high.

Rod1

tangovictor
5th Nov 2006, 08:48
thank you Rod, your a star, I have emailed you
tv